Chlamydia Community
recently diagnosed with chlamydia

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

recently diagnosed with chlamydia

Last Wednesday I received a call after my annual visit that I tested positive for chlamydia. This was a shock to me as I was tested in the summer and everything was negative. I had been with 2 guys since then- one my now boyfriend and another one time before, this must have been the source as my boyfriend was also tested before we started dating and we have been committed. So, that has been approx. 4-5 months that I must have been infected without knowing. I had no symptoms- at least not that I thought anything of- I did think I had a yeast infection but did not go to the doctor for treatment and just treated myself (obviously the wrong call) but other than that absolutely no symptoms. I was treated last Wednesday in one dose- it was 4 pills- I cannot say exactly what they were I think she said it was the same thing that is in a "z-pack" (maybe- not sure), but she assured me that it would be effective. However, now my vagina is feeling a little itchy and uncomfortable- nothing too bad, but not too pleasant either. Could the treatment have failed or is this persistence of symptoms typical? My boyfriend was just treated today and we have had no sexual contact since I found out about it. Another question- I was told to wait one week after treatment to have sex again and he was told two weeks. Anyone know what it really is?
I was diagnosed just a few weeks ago myself, and took the exact same treatment you did. I have been a little unhappy with the lack of response/communication from my doctor's office of three years, who has not told me anything about follow up (ie when I could be sexually active, if I need to come in to get my tubes checked out). My ex boyfriend (yyayyyy) was the one who told me he had tested positive, although I had essentially gotten tested soon after we broke up.  He has been in communication with me about his treatment. He was told to wait two weeks before being sexually active. I think waiting a little longer is probably the best option. I am sure it is a little more difficult with a boyfriend there.  Good luck
1 week after medication is fine. After taking medication symptoms can often start, what it is is the body flushing out bacteria, but also the medication can cause a yeast infection. I see no reason to be concerned at this point.