Chlamydia Community
treatment not working?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Chlamydia issues such as: Causes, Chlamydia in Women, Exams and Tests, Medications, Prevention, Research, Risks, Support, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments, What to ask your doctor.

treatment not working?

so i was diagnosed with chlamydia about 3 weeks ago. my doctor gave me 4 250mg tablets of azithromycin (zithromax) and after a week, the symptoms were still there and the test came back positive again. she gave me another round of azithromycin and i took it on tuesday, so it has been about 4 days and the symptoms are still there. if the symptoms persist, what should be my next course of action?
Well you might have tested too soon.  Its best to wait at least a month, because the test can pick up on dead chlamydia dna and give you a false positive.

You might want to also be tested for bacterial vaginosis and yeast and make sure you don't have a double whammy thing going on that is causing the symptoms to persist.

AJ
maybe i should clarify....i am a male, sorry for the confusion. and i don't think i tested too early because i was still having symptoms even after finishing the first treatment....and still have symptoms being half way through the second treatment.
It doesn't matter about symptoms - you can't trust the test result if its too soon.

I can totally see why they re-treated you though - that makes sense since you had symptoms.

In any case, if symptoms don't improve this time, you should get treated with doxycycline next.  

AJ