Cholesterol Community
Cholesterol Levels for Young Adult

Cholesterol, a waxy, fat-like substance, is important for you body, but too much in your blood can form plaques that sticks to artery walls and narrow or block your arteries increasing your risk of heart disease. Discuss topics including cholesterol’s link to heart disease, how to maintain a low cholesterol diet, and treatment methods for lowering your cholesterol.

Cholesterol Levels for Young Adult

Hello Everyone,

I am young male age 30Y. I am suffering from Hypertension issue from last 5 years. It due to my family inherent.
But I did manage to control my lifestyle and was on strict diet not eating any high cholesterol foods and also very little sugar. I also take medication which keep my B.P> usually around 130/85.

I just went through recent Lipid profile check from my doctor and following are results.

- Total Cholesterol - 203
- Triglycerides - 254
- HDL - 45
- LDL - 128
- VLDL - 51

These numbers are not good as i got to know from my doctors.
He advised to me either totally change my diet and reduce without mediciation.
The second option he told me to start with a basic Lipitor Medicine - Atorvastatin

Honestly I do not want to start medicine because it is always associated with side effects.

Can some shed some experiences and what they think should I start with medicine or control with diet and am I at risk of developing any heart diseases.

Thanks in Advance.

Sied
You should probably do both, change your diet and look at a med to help. I don't know if I would start with Lipitor right now as your real issue is your TGLs  which should be under 150. You could take a fenofibrate to help control that along with diet. Your LDL is borderline, but below the guideline of 130 unless your doctor feels you are a high risk for heart disease which means your LDL should be under 100.

Don't worry about the Lipitor, it is a very safe drug and the chances of any serious side effects are very, very low where as the risk of heart disease from high cholesterol in a high risk individual is much worse.

Sit with your doctor and ask about their concern.

Jon
When you eat excess calories in the form of sugars, your body converts them into triglycerides. Carbohydrates  come from plant foods, You can help lower triglyceride levels by choose whole grain foods. Foods high in fiber slow down your digestion, which helps your body convert food to energy more efficiently. Fiber is found in whole grains and foods like fruits and vegetables.High fiber reduces triglyceride and cholesterol levels by reducing the absorption of saturated fats in your diet.
Healthy fats Omega-3 fatty acids lower triglycerides and bad cholesterol by increasing fat metabolism. Check the labels for trans fats, or hydrogenated oils! you don't want them. Alcohol is high in a carbohydrates that converts to triglycerides. It can also affect your liver, which could interfere with your ability to metabolize fat.
Exercise increases your body's ability to metabolize sugar, which lowers the amount of sugar in your blood and decreases the amount of sugar your body converts to triglycerides. Being overweight decreases your ability to metabolize sugar and other carbohydrates, which leads to high triglycerides.
You may not be able to do anything about the genetic inheritance
low-salt or no-salt diet is a major front in the battle against hypertension.
The New York Times showed how many packaged foods are little more than “salt-delivery devices.”
learn to season your food with herbs and spices. Try curry, fennel,
and garlic, Eat fresh food  real food as often as possible, not prepackaged food. Make sure you have enough magnesium, potassium, and calcium in your diet. These reduce the effects of salt. Magnesium dilates, or widens,
blood vessels. Calcium and magnesium are best when taken together. Be careful, because too much potassium can be lethal to your kidneys.
Talk with your doctor about taking them! If you're over weight get down to your ideal weight! Exercise is crucial!! Stay away from stimulants like coffee, tea, sodas, alcohol, and cigarettes. No diet soda they have caffeine!
Make sure you're getting enough sleep. Sleep deprivation can cause high blood pressure.
Ahsanrz, you should become an informed consumer.   Gymdandee gave some excellent advice on how to lower your triglycerides using fish oil (Omega-3 fatty acids).    You said, “Honestly I do not want to start medicine because it is always associated with side effects.”   We live in the age of the internet.  Search the internet for answers to your doubts.  
Yes, be an educated consumer that is very important. Just be careful not to get caught up in the anti-statin hype. When you read about people talking about the dangers of statins, ask yourself what they have to gain by making a statement. Are they selling books as is the case at spacedoc? Are they selling their own line of supplements? Are they trying to make money on what they're saying?

The bottom line is that statins are very, very safe. The FDA is dropping the warnings about liver damage and looking into others to be removed. There have been NO scientific studies that prove any long term damage due to statins.There are many studies that show the benefit.

When in doubt, go to the NIH site, great information along with results of all the studies. Don't be scared off by those that would make money by trying to persuade you to avoid statins.

Jon
My thinking is you try to control your medical problem with food, exercise,
herbs and supplements! Only then if all else fails take your medicine!