Cholesterol Community
Cholesterol high?
About This Community:

Cholesterol, a waxy, fat-like substance, is important for you body, but too much in your blood can form plaques that sticks to artery walls and narrow or block your arteries increasing your risk of heart disease. Discuss topics including cholesterol’s link to heart disease, how to maintain a low cholesterol diet, and treatment methods for lowering your cholesterol.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Cholesterol high?

Just got back my blood work and it says my Cholestrol level is 215 H which shows it as being high, but my HDL was 65 which is right on the border and my LDL is 121 which seems to be ok. Should I worry about this?
Blank
159619_tn?1318997813
You are so very wrong. The current lipid studies are a true indicator of fats, both good and bad in your body. Yes, particle size is also important and ANY doctor will give you the VAP upon request, there is no conspiracy. Do you think the drug companies put out a mass email telling doctors what to say or think? That's a bit of a stretch. Many people make that claim but no one can back it up. I work with many doctors and I can tell you that the drug companies do not control what is said and done in the field and no doctor is going to risk their career over being told what to do by a third party. If it doesn't make sense, it's most likely not true.

Also, there is no concrete evidence yet that serum TGLs are tied to heart disease, they are just another fat in your blood. The conventional thinking is that they should be under 150, but the tie is unknown at this time. The most important indicator is the ratio between total cholesterol and HDL. If that number is in line, statistically there is a much better chance that there is a healthy balance of fats in the cardio vascular system.

Jon
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
159619_tn?1318997813
You numbers are pretty much right where they should be. Your total is high because your good cholesterol levels are high, which is a good thing. You LDL or bad cholesterol is within normal ranges and I calculate your TGLs at 145 which is also good.

Overall, very good numbers. I wouldn't get too excited with a slightly high total cholesterol along with a high HDL, normal LDL and TGL unless you have heart disease in which case you should have an LDL under 100. If you are otherwise in good health, these look good to me.

Jon
Blank
Hi,

What I heard, this traditional cholesterol stuff is just bad science. Total cholesterol's calculation includes HDL value as well. In regards to LDL, now LDL particles are more important. TGL/HDL value is more important but you will not listen this stuff from ordinary doctors because they say what they are told by pharma companies.

Therefore, now new test like VAP Cholesterol and NMR are being suggested. In your cholesterol test TGL value is the real culprit which is raised by sugar, and refined carbs.
Blank
159619_tn?1318997813
You are so very wrong. The current lipid studies are a true indicator of fats, both good and bad in your body. Yes, particle size is also important and ANY doctor will give you the VAP upon request, there is no conspiracy. Do you think the drug companies put out a mass email telling doctors what to say or think? That's a bit of a stretch. Many people make that claim but no one can back it up. I work with many doctors and I can tell you that the drug companies do not control what is said and done in the field and no doctor is going to risk their career over being told what to do by a third party. If it doesn't make sense, it's most likely not true.

Also, there is no concrete evidence yet that serum TGLs are tied to heart disease, they are just another fat in your blood. The conventional thinking is that they should be under 150, but the tie is unknown at this time. The most important indicator is the ratio between total cholesterol and HDL. If that number is in line, statistically there is a much better chance that there is a healthy balance of fats in the cardio vascular system.

Jon
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Cholesterol Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank