Cholesterol levels
I am 30 years old male, BMI 23, but very bad diet and also a heavy smoker.
No diabetes, no high blood pressure or family history of heart disease but my mother is on treatment for high cholesterol and triglycerides

i had a blood test on May with the following results:
TCHOL 251 H
HDL 57
LDL 163
TRG 155 H

i am scheduled for a second blood test this month.
Are my levels high enough to require statin treatment?
Hi!

Before considering statin treatment, you should seriously consider lifestyle changes. Of course your cholesterol is high when you are a heavy smoker and you have a very bad diet. It's actually surprising that it's not higher.

Stop wasting your money and health on smoking and junk food. Quitting smoking and eating healthy will probably get your total cholesterol down well below 200 and your LDL well below 130. And then you are just fine.

Ask your doctor for help to quit smoking. And limit unhealthy food to a couple of times a week. If your cholesterol values are still high (which is very unlikely), then consider treatment. It doesn't seem reasonable to poison yourself with smoking and unhealthy food, and treating the symptoms of this. Treat the root. Quit smoking.
Back with results

May 2012:
TCHOL 251 H
HDL 57
LDL 163
TRG 155 H

September 2012:
TCHOL 169
HDL 43
LDL 103
TRG 116

Without change in diet or medication, how is that possible?
Hi. Here is the normal range that you can refer to:

Total Colesterol: 140-199 mg/dL
LDL: < 130 mg/dL
HDL: 30-70 mg/dL
Triglycerides: <200 mg/dL

Try the following natural remedies:

1. Chew your food very slowly. It takes about 20 minutes for your brain to recognize that you are full.
2. Enjoy aerobic exercise for 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week. Choose from these: bicycling, swimming, walking and dancing.
3. Drink water first or any fluids like ice tea before you eat. This will make you feel full easily. Thus, less amount of food intake and therefore lesser calories to burn.
4. Choose foods rich in Omega-3 oils and use olive oil in cooking.
5. Continue to monitor your weight and cholesterol levels.

You are at risk for heart disease because your mom has the risk factor (You mentioned she is on treatment for high cholesterol and triglycerides). Don't wait when you are 50 for the signs and symptoms like high blood pressure, head aches and higher bad cholesterol levels.

Do what you can to keep yourself healthy while it is easier for you. Choose the natural ways before they become ineffective. Once these are ineffective, you'll be taking the statins and other meds to control your cholesterol levels along with diet control, exercise and weight management.

Hope this helps. :)
Definite improvement in the numbers, but quitting smoking is not good enough as the diet must be very healthy if you are predisposed genetically.  I would limit animal consumption, dairy and oils.  Load up on fruits, vegetable and whole grains and make the goal to get total cholesterol less than 150, and you should be in great shape.