Cholesterol Community
Drug reaction? Or is it just me?

Cholesterol, a waxy, fat-like substance, is important for you body, but too much in your blood can form plaques that sticks to artery walls and narrow or block your arteries increasing your risk of heart disease. Discuss topics including cholesterol’s link to heart disease, how to maintain a low cholesterol diet, and treatment methods for lowering your cholesterol.

Drug reaction? Or is it just me?

So I have Hashimotos (currently in control on thyroxine), Gallstones (on surgical waiting list; dairy, egg, red meat, low fat & Cholesterol diet), high blood pressure (still borderline), and high cholesterol. 2 weeks ago I started taking 10mg of Lipitor and I think it's been working ok.. But 3-4 days after I started taking it i started to have loose bowels once a day. A couple times it's been worse than usual and I'm unsure what set it off. On top of that, whenever I feel slightly ill I just sleep until I feel better. So I'm not sure if I'm suffering fatigue or if it's just my body's way of dealing with it, but I've been taking 3-4 hour naps for the past week -even though I sleep a solid 8.5 hours. Besides that I haven't been feeling much different since I started the lipotor. So my question is, is the way I'm feeling possibly caused by the cholesterol medication; has anyone had a similar side effect? Or is it possibly my thyroid or gallbladder have been acting up? I really don't know what I'm doing wrong but it's getting frustrating. Christmas lunch I had steamed broccoli, baked potato and a small slice of turkey breast and spent the rest of the evening sick in bed.
Welcome and thanks for your question. Stomach problems can be a side effect of statins, but it is one of the least common. Having had a bad gallbladder which required it's removal, it sounds more like a gallbladder issue to me but you should check with your doctor.

Also, statins do not really cause a loss of energy. This may be a thyroid issue if you have had previous problems with it.

Hope this helps,

Jon