Cholesterol Community
High Cholesterol

Cholesterol, a waxy, fat-like substance, is important for you body, but too much in your blood can form plaques that sticks to artery walls and narrow or block your arteries increasing your risk of heart disease. Discuss topics including cholesterol’s link to heart disease, how to maintain a low cholesterol diet, and treatment methods for lowering your cholesterol.

High Cholesterol

Hi everyone - I was just recently told by my Doctor, that I have high cholesterol. He said even if I were to excercise and eat right, I still need to be on medication? I really did not want to be put on medication for this, but it is a must he said. Now, for anybody who has this or know somebody of this what can help? What type of foods should I be eating. I don't know where I can turn to for this type of thing. Also, does anybody think it would be a good idea for myself to go get a heart stress test done? I can't remember what my actually cholesterol was, but it was around the 290's =/ .. Any advice could help, Thanks.
Your doctor may very well be right. What was your LDL and HDL?

At your age I wouldn't be worried about more heart tests. Every time you have a test done you increase the risk of a false positive which may result in a more invasive procedure.

Again, the breakdown of your cholesterol is key, let us know what yours is.

Jon