Cholesterol Community
High total Cholesterol and LDL

Cholesterol, a waxy, fat-like substance, is important for you body, but too much in your blood can form plaques that sticks to artery walls and narrow or block your arteries increasing your risk of heart disease. Discuss topics including cholesterol’s link to heart disease, how to maintain a low cholesterol diet, and treatment methods for lowering your cholesterol.

High total Cholesterol and LDL

I am 30 female, BMI about 21. I have always had a problem with cholesterol. I just got test result back today and cholesterol total is high 5.9 mmol/l ( normal range is 3.9-5.2) and LDL is 4.4 (normal range: 0.5-3.4). Before my total cholesterol and LDL were always borderline. I only cook with olive oil, eat lots of veggies, less meat, moderate excersise (walking mostly).

Please help advise how I can lower my cholesterol. Thank you!!
First, I think your normal ranges are a bit weird. In my country, the ranges are (for a 30 y/o):

Total cholesterol: 3,1 - 7,8 mmol/l
LDL cholesterol: 1,9 - 5,4 mmol/l

Those are normal values in people 30-59 y/o here, but of course it can vary from country to country. Also, there is a difference between "normal values" and "desireable values" as many, actually most people are above the desireable values.

Diets high in sugar and carbs are often known to increase LDL more than the typical dangerous diets with lots of saturated fat. But you seem to live healthy. Maybe your slightly high cholesterol is caused by genetic conditions? Do you have a family history of high cholesterol or heart disease?

If your blood pressure is fine and you otherwise live healthy (not smoker, relaxed lifestyle, moderate alcohol, etc), your numbers are not dangerous as far as I know (I'm not a doctor) but should be monitored and maybe kept under control. Your doctor can help you with further advice or medications if needed.
Thanks for your comments.

I do not know if any of my family member has cholesterol problem. I do not smoke or drink. I think I have a pretty balanced diet. I do not have any problem with blood pressure or heart disease. That's why I am a bit concerned as to why my cholesterol is that high. My Trygiceride is, surpisingly low, only 0.8.

As for what is the normal range for cholesterol, those ranges are used all over in my country.

I am breastfeeding my son so I am reluctant to take any medication. I am looking for red yeast rice to take as I heard it could reduce LDL. Do you have any experience with red yeast rice?

Red yeast rice helps, but unfortunately through the exact same mechanisms as statins do. You can say that red yeast rice is a natural statin. The fact that something is natural does unfortunately not mean there are no side effects, they are just not examined so closely as is the case with prescription drugs.

If you are concerned about your cholesterol and considering treatment, I would recommend that you ask your doctor instead of self-medication with natural remedies that may work too strong or too weak. In my country, red yeast rice is banned from sale as a supplement, it's considered medication and needs prescription.

Do you think that your cholesterol values are an acute threat to life and health? They are not. A total of 5,9 with LDL 4,4 should be kept monitored, but as you have no other risk for cardiovascular disease, you don't need to panic about this!! Live healthy and don't worry, if you should need statins or other meds later in life, deal with it then. Let your doctor do the thinking regarding treatment and don't think about catastrophic events just because your cholesterol is slightly high.

Thank you for the answer!