How accurate are finger tests?
I got my levels checked in Spring (full fasting blood work) and I was at 201 total with a high HDL level. Still scared me so I cut most dairy, most red meats, cut out lots of fats, still working on getting my work outs up, oatmeal daily etc. Yet today we had a screening at work and they did a finger test. My TC came back 7 points higher! How is that possible?  I do need to lose weight and am working on it, hopefully that will help bring it down as well. But I just don't understand it.
Also I take a higher dose fish oil supplement and wonder if that is taking it up a notch as well. My HDL is good so I am thinking of just sticking to eating fish twice a week vs the supplement and see if that helps?
Unless you fasted 12 hours in advance it really is not accurate. Even with a fast, these tests are not all that good.

Jon
Thanks Jon, What tests are good to get an accurate reading?  One through my doc and a lab?  Just the standard fasting and full blood work panel?
The best results I've personally got was on a vegan diet. Nothing else worked. I stopped ALL animal protein, dairy and oils and products made from them. You really need to read labels carefully. Also no avocados or nuts. I've been doing this for one year and my total dropped to 94 with half of it, 47 HDL. My doc was in shock. I doubt the fish oil did much