Cholesterol Community
I'm freaking out at my Cholesterol results

Cholesterol, a waxy, fat-like substance, is important for you body, but too much in your blood can form plaques that sticks to artery walls and narrow or block your arteries increasing your risk of heart disease. Discuss topics including cholesterol’s link to heart disease, how to maintain a low cholesterol diet, and treatment methods for lowering your cholesterol.

Hello forum,
I just completed a physical exam and my cholesterol results are scaring me.
----------------------------------------------------
CHOLESTEROL 249
HDL 49
LDL 191
TRIGLYCERIDE,  98
CHOLESTEROL, NON-HDL 200
-----------------------------------------------------

I am a 45 year old male and weigh 164 lbs. I do not smoke or drink but I have a terrible diet and rarely exercise. I realize that these terrible habits are a major factor in my numbers being what they are.

As a person of Asian decent, my main diet consists of two small bowls of rice per day plus whatever food is cooked such as beef and chicken typical asian style. I do eat fish at least once a week, and at work I often eat fast food (not burger king or mc donalds-although i do on occasion)

I do not indulge in a lot of seafood such as shrimps or lobster or any of that type but about once a month, I'd go crazy with crab legs and the likes at a, yes, BUFFET!   I also have mild hypertension and am taking medicine to control that, it is around 125 give or take and is consistent at that number for the past 3 years.

I know I need to change!!!!

I am writing seeking advice on a DIET PLAN. Please review what I have described as well as my results above and advice on SPECIFIC diet/ food intake in order to control my cholesterol. I also am beginning a 30minute/day exercise regiment starting immediately.

Thanks in advance.
I had that same problem and this is what I did:

No fast food.  It's full of fat and saturated fat. Settle for a salad, with walnuts (for good cholesterol)  easy on the dressing.  
I completely QUIT fried foods.
baked chicken, no skin...baked fish (any kind)
VERY COLORFUL vegetables, broccolli, corn, squash, peas, beans, carrots and whatever else u like.
I bought some over the counter SOLUABLE fiber....which seems to really 'rinse' all cholesterol
to lower triglycerides be very careful of ANY sweets.  I eat canteloupe, watermelon and I use natural honey as a sweetner for my coffee.  
Exercise is key.  20 min a day/ 3 times a week is what my cardiologist said I should do...if u can do more do it.  It should only help.  :)
Oh and I will boil eggs to go in my salad and REMOVE and trash the yolk.
Food's cholesterol content does not affect our cholesterol level! Our cholesterol is produced by our own organism, only the other unhealthy factors can make a malfunction in cholesterol metabolism. Check ILC Hungary on google, they have a treatment method which can cure atherosclerosis and restore cholesterol metabolism permamently.

a fragment from there:

"Formerly, it was claimed that atherosclerosis evolved according to our nutrition. However, during the 1980’s scientific reports proved that food ingested only consisted of 5% of cholesterol used in our body. On the other hand, the remaining 95% is synthetized by our organism independently; this is called “endogenous cholesterol.” Consequently, there is no significant connection between cholesterol gained by nutrition (5%) and atheroclerosis. If we would like to have an appearing effect in our cholesterol level we ought to eat 200 eggs a day.Healthy nutrition is definitely important and giving large importance to the content of cholesterol in food is irrelevant. Therefore, we should pay more attention to other substances  found in food that we ingest such as additives, preservatives, stabilizers, coloring, antibiotics, hormone products eaten by livestock or fruits and vegetables sprayed by fertilizers and pesticides."

greg