Cholesterol Community
Is it hereditary?

Cholesterol, a waxy, fat-like substance, is important for you body, but too much in your blood can form plaques that sticks to artery walls and narrow or block your arteries increasing your risk of heart disease. Discuss topics including cholesterol’s link to heart disease, how to maintain a low cholesterol diet, and treatment methods for lowering your cholesterol.

Is it hereditary?

I just recently had my cholesterol rechecked after 2 months of working out and eating well, plus taking Krill Oil. My HDL was up 5 points and my LDL was down 17 points. I haven't met with my doctor yet to discuss the results but my gynecologist saw them (he was looking at the results for another test and they were on the same sheet) and he commented and said it was not "too high" but that my LDL is "likely hereditary" and will be hard to bring down. I'm just wondering how he could say that without knowing that I have brought it down or what it was. It's frustrating to think that I won't be able to control it with diet & exercise. I really, really do not want to get on meds. Wouldn't the drop that I have done signify that I may very well be able to bring it down even further by myself? My numbers were:

Previously:
HDL: 49
LDL: 166
Total: 242

Yesterday:
HDL: 54
LDL: 149
Total: 218

I have really just been trying for two months now and see that I am in the borderline range for both total & LDL. Wouldn't this improvement in the short amount of time be seen as a positive enforcement that I may be able to lower it by myself?

The krill oil I suggest taking is Source Naturals ArcticPure Krill Oil -- 500 mg
The directions say to take 2 pills per day for 30 days then 1 pill per day thereafter. I suggest taking 2 pills per day all the time it should have a total Phospholipids 420, total MG per serving 300, at least 160 mg EPA 
and 90 mg DHA and 1 1/2 mg of Astaxanthin. you could have to take 2 pills to get the total mentioned above even if the bottle says to take 1 per day.

Mushrooms, maitake, shiitake, and reishi varieties. maitake help prevent and treat cancer, viral diseases, high cholesterol.
Dark Chocolate I suggest Navitas Cacao Nibs or powder it contains no sugar. Pomegranates reduces plaque. Almonds have fiber and monounsaturated fat that lower cholesterol. garlic lowers total cholesterol and triglyceride. Blueberries I recommend wild blueberries they have more
antioxidants, especially anthocyanins, wild you might only be able to buy frozen. They contain more because they had to survive without the fertilizers and pesticides. apples are loaded with antioxidants quercetin and catechin, that can reduce the risk of cancer and cardiovascular disease, especially if you eat the skin. avocados contain healthful monounsaturated fat,
                      Exercise
The Peak 8 routine it will quickly raise your heart rate 8 times for very short bursts, with a cooling down period in between. Ideally you’ll be sprinting or cycling full throttle for 30 seconds with a 90 second cool down in between each outburst. 

This is the fastest way to lose fat and build muscle in the body. Peak 8 actually stimulates the growth hormone in the body. I encourage you to visit Dr Mercola’s site to learn more about Peak 8 fitness because I personally feel that it is one of the best ways to exercise, especially considering the speed at which you can lose fat and build muscle. 

I highly recommend you read this article and watch the videos on the page. It will give you all the information you need to know about Peak 8 – Flood Your Body With This “Youth Hormone” In Just 20 Minutes 

What you eat after Peak 8 training does matter 

It’s recommended that you do not eat sugar or carbohydrate for 2 hours after the Peak 8 exercise because these foods can impact the release of the growth hormone in the body.  The link is below 
http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2010/11/13/phil-campbell-on-peak-8-exercises.aspx 

Figure your heart rate by this formula 220 minus your age! this will give you your maximum heart rate. You want to stay between 65%- 85% of your maximum heart rate.
You burn 30 percent more fat from doing cardio after a weights session as opposed to cardio on its own.  
I think you are on the right track for now. Normally, people that are genetically predisposed to high cholesterol have levels much higher than yours. If you are dedicated to lifestyle changes, stay with it and recheck in another 6 months. Cut out empty carbs including sugars, breads, pastas and alcohol. Get as much exercise as your doctor will allow as well.

Your risk is your high LDL which should be under 130 and ideally under 100. You are not that far off and I would keep pushing myself on lifestyle changes and see if it works. If not, I would consider meds, but have this discussion with your doctor.

Jon