Cholesterol Community
LDL

Cholesterol, a waxy, fat-like substance, is important for you body, but too much in your blood can form plaques that sticks to artery walls and narrow or block your arteries increasing your risk of heart disease. Discuss topics including cholesterol’s link to heart disease, how to maintain a low cholesterol diet, and treatment methods for lowering your cholesterol.

LDL

hello..i want to ask about my cholesterol..my LDL cholesterol is 4.5 is that normal?dangerous or not..what can i do to reduce it?
Welcome and thanks for your question. An LDL of 4.5 converts to 175 mml which is very high. Depending on your other risk factors, your goal should be under 130, under 100 if you have 2 or more risk factors. The best way to reduce it is to work with your doctor on some life style changes including diet and exercise. Try to avoid processed foods, a basic rule of thumb is to avoid anything that comes from a window, bag or a box. Also, at your level you may need some medical intervention like a statin. Again, you should discuss this with your doctor.

I hope this helps,

Jon
thanks
im am smoker..does my smoking habith factor increase my LDL?
The damaging effect of smoking is that it contributes to the hardening of your arteries and veins which can cause artherosclerosis in the long run but I'm not quite sure if it has a relationship between your cholesterol count.

Might as well give up smoking and see what happens.
my cholesterol is 5.6, I know its high, I already take 40mg statins .
I drink green tea( no milk or sugar, I excercise 2-3 times a week.
I don't overeat, and I'm about nearly a stone overweight, but I'm working on it.
Apart from eating porridge( which is supposed to help ) is there any other food that will help me.
The rule of thumb is this; if it comes from a box, a bag or a drive through window avoid it. Stay away from processed foods as much as possible and replace them with fruits, veggies and nuts where practical. Also, keep up the exercise as it increased HDL which helps your body eliminate LDL. Also, get some fish in your diet, mostly deep water fish like ocean salmon, cod and tuna.

You're on the right track, ask your doc about some Omega 3 fatty acids as well.

Good work and keep it up!

Jon