Cholesterol Community
Lovastatin vs. Pravastatin

Cholesterol, a waxy, fat-like substance, is important for you body, but too much in your blood can form plaques that sticks to artery walls and narrow or block your arteries increasing your risk of heart disease. Discuss topics including cholesterol’s link to heart disease, how to maintain a low cholesterol diet, and treatment methods for lowering your cholesterol.

Lovastatin vs. Pravastatin

Recently my doctor switched me from Lovastatin to Pravastatin and I am not sure why….I have been on Lovastatin for a long time and it has worked miracles for my overall cholesterol, HDL, LDL, and triglycerides..When I asked him why I was being switched from one to the other, he stated something about Pravastatin being better for the liver…(Or something like that) and assured me that the effectiveness of Pravastatin was as good as Lovastatin….Any insight would be greatly appreciated..

Regards,
Welcome and thanks for your question. Both are excellent drugs and I'm sure your results will not change. I have never heard that one is easier on the liver than another, but I will research that get back to you. Best thing to do is give it 6 months and get tested and see how the numbers look. I'm guessing you won't see any deviation from your past history. Rest assured, Pravastatin is extremely effective as well!

Hope this helps,

Jon