Cholesterol Community
Mother's total cholesterol is 280 and she has atrial fib

Cholesterol, a waxy, fat-like substance, is important for you body, but too much in your blood can form plaques that sticks to artery walls and narrow or block your arteries increasing your risk of heart disease. Discuss topics including cholesterol’s link to heart disease, how to maintain a low cholesterol diet, and treatment methods for lowering your cholesterol.

My mother was told several months ago her cholesterol was 'a little high' and Ive been nagging her for the past three, four years to have bloodwork done because her and my Dad have junky diets and they eat out alot. So, a couple of months ago she went into atrial fibrilation where the heart rythmn is all over the place. DR put her on blood thinners and monitored her to see if her heart rhythm returns to normal. When it didn't, they did the 'shock' and it was immediately restored. Now two months later, the atrial fibrilation has returned but milder and they're going to shock her again tomorrow morning. My father told me tonite her cholesterol was 280 last time they checked, which to me, is pretty high and she's been watching what she eats and she has lost some weight. She can't take anything else that will thin the blood so no fish oil but she did some homeopathic stuff, ate foods that are supposed to help lower it, etc and no change. So now she is on cholesterol medication (not sure which one).. The DR does not think the cholesterol is causing the atrial fibrilation but I can't help but think it is. What does anyone else on here think? And does high cholesterol mean a blockage for sure or how does that work? I am just wondering if her cholesterol does not lower, is she still at a higher risk for a heart attack or stroke? She is 65, fairly active and overall good health until this recent scare. Thank you
There is no real link between cholesterol levels and a-fib. Also, even though high cholesterol is a risk factor for developing heart disease, not everyone with it will have heart problems. It sounds like she's doing all the right things now. She should just stay on her meds, get exercise if it's OK with her doctor and eat right, nothing to it!

Jon