Cholesterol Community
My 13 year old has high LDL

Cholesterol, a waxy, fat-like substance, is important for you body, but too much in your blood can form plaques that sticks to artery walls and narrow or block your arteries increasing your risk of heart disease. Discuss topics including cholesterol’s link to heart disease, how to maintain a low cholesterol diet, and treatment methods for lowering your cholesterol.

My 13 year old has high LDL

My son was seen at a lipid clinic 4 months ago his readings were LDL-292, HDL-41, TRI-134. The doctor said to go on a lowfat diet and we will see what happens, but she also mentioned that this would be genetic! My son was not obese by far, but could use to lose 15lbs which he did, but there is no drop in his cholesterol numbers. I come from a big Greek family and most of my aunts and uncles are on meds. I am freaking out because his LDL is so high that i am losing sleep over this. Will these cholesterol drugs actually work for my son? We haven't tried any yet but I believe when he goes back in July that will change. Has anybody out there has had high LDL and the meds worked for you? Please any info you have will help I need some peace of mind!! ( he is still eating a very low cholesterol diet and working out daily)
Gymdandee gives you good advice, a heart healthy diet along with exercise as approved by his doctor will help. I personally do not put much stock in articles by Chris Kessler as he is a  licensed acupuncturist and practitioner of integrative medicine, has no medical degree and is not a licensed physician. Anyone can sell books.

His LDL is too high. I would make some lifestyle changes as outlined and check again in 60 days. If you don't see any improvements it may be time for medical intervention. LDL levels that high are often the results of genetics and in many cases lifestyle changes alone do not help. He may need medication, work closely with his doctor.

Hope this helps,

Jon
Check out the article "5 reasons not to worry about your cholesterol numbers" by Chris Kresser. An excellent article and the peace of mind you are looking for.
Eating fruits and vegetables between five & nine servings per day will help lower LDL. Eat foods that have plant sterols. Do a search on line for foods rich in plant sterols. He should eat fish at least 2x per week that has omega 3
Eat Old fashioned oat meal or a good cold cereal is Original Fiber One brand.
A hand full of walnuts or almonds  Some healthy oils are canola and safflower,     brown rice, quinoa, whole wheat pasta and beans are also healthy.  
He should keep up the exercising at least 30 minutes per day 5 days per week. No fried foods!  If he likes mushrooms they are also good
Thank You for your feed back. I am just stunned by how high his LDL was and not being no more then 10lbs overweight. He is only eating a lean meat once a day for dinner. the rest of the day I try to keep it cholesterol free. Is peanut butter o.k to give him if its in a small amount? What are some foods that have a plant sterols in them?
http://herbs.lovetoknow.com/What_Foods_are_High_in_Plant_Sterols

Hope this helps,

Jon
Two things, I also suggest going to a nutritionist with the previous foods recommended let them guide you. The second thing is his exercise routine,
It should mainly be cardio! As for strength training consult with his doctor.
I found out tonight that most of my family in New York has genetic high cholesterol. I fell really bummed out because my son is so young and has to deal with this for the rest of his life. I can't imagine him having to take pills the rest of his life. As long as its treatable then we will deal with it.