Cholesterol Community
New cholesterol tests, better or worse?

Cholesterol, a waxy, fat-like substance, is important for you body, but too much in your blood can form plaques that sticks to artery walls and narrow or block your arteries increasing your risk of heart disease. Discuss topics including cholesterol’s link to heart disease, how to maintain a low cholesterol diet, and treatment methods for lowering your cholesterol.

New cholesterol tests, better or worse?

Hi!

I did some blood tests a couple of months ago, and I wrote a post. The results were:

Total cholesterol: 5,7 mmol/l (220 mg/dl)
LDL cholesterol: 4,4 mmol/l (167 mg/dl)
HDL cholesterol: 1,1 mmol/l (42 mg/dl)
Triglycerides: 1,2 mmol/l (105 mg/dl)

Since then, I've practiced an extremely healthy lifestyle. I've lost 6 kg, I'm never eating animal fat, just chicken and fat fish, no added sugar, lots of vegetables, no white bread, more oats, no trans fat, etc. My new results:

Total cholesterol: 4,3 mmol/l (165 mg/dl)
LDL cholesterol: 3,4 mmol/l (130 mg/dl)
HDL cholesterol: 0,9 mmol/l (35 mg/dl)
Triglycerides almost zero.

Honestly I don't think I'm able to practice a better lifestyle. I'm eating extremely healthy, doing exercise 3-4 times a week, I never smoke, I'm drinking 2-3 glasses of white wine pr week, I can't find a single mistake I'm doing.

Will those values improve after some more time do you think? Which values are better?

By the way my BP is 100/60, BMI 22,8 and resting heart rate 50.

Thanks :)
Howdy, the first set are better in my mind, I think that an LDL of 130 which is the maximum for the current guideline along with an HDL of 35 is not as good as having a slightly higher LDL and a much higher HDL. Tri's are really not that telling and are the most affected by diet, even over the weeks preceding a test so I don't always consider them as dangerous unless very high so having a very low number does not off sett having a very low HDL. Really, it is most likely a tossup, but I would opt for a higher HDL even though the medical thinking is treat LDL first. If I were to change anything it would be more exercise. I did not see a significant increase in my HDL until I started the 7 days a week exercise routine I'm on now.

Having spoken before, I can't say I know of anything you're doing wrong either. I think I would retest in 30 days for grins and see which set seem to be the norm.

Always great to hear from you!

Jon

Always great to hear from you!

Jon
Your blood test results are good. However the HDL is a bit low to me. Whatever you are doing now , good diet, exercises, and no smoking, watch your weights I think it is great! however ask your dr. to see how can you improve your good HDL?
I've been using all natural remedies. Get from amazon reading the rating from one of the product from amazon at a glance. Tried myself for this product. 6 mos, the results were great. Off course I 've changed my diet, doing yoga, taichi exercises and not taking any candies at all as my doctor told me that sugar or candies can turn in triglycerides. Eliminate all of the goodies that I treated myself before, two eggs a week, no burger, french fried, no red meat, lobster. lots of fish and brown rice, twice a week.
The results are so incredible and I will keep doing this, taking the natural remedies, eating the right food, and regular exercises. We have only one life so make the best of it after all! I do not want to drop death before my time! period!
triglycerides from 229 down to 89
HDL from 58 to 72
LDL from 171 to 112
VLDL is 18
Check amazon at a glance and find out!
Nothing is wrong with all of us! just the bad lifestyle of habits that causes problems!
cheers!

Hello, and thanks a lot, both of you!

I've been asking several doctors how to increase HDL. They say exercise, alcohol on a daily basis (which I refuse), unsaturated fat and no trans fat (I eat lots of unsaturated fat and no trans fat). They also say quit smoking (I don't smoke) and weight loss (I'm not overweight). So it seems daily exercise is what's most beneficial.

Maybe those changes just takes time? I know it's fairly easy to reduce total cholesterol but it's possibly harder to change the lipoproteins carrying them?

Xgamang: Your cholesterol is great, congrats and thanks for your advice!
Jon: Thanks for the help, always great to hear from you too!