Cholesterol Community
Red Yeast Rice

Cholesterol, a waxy, fat-like substance, is important for you body, but too much in your blood can form plaques that sticks to artery walls and narrow or block your arteries increasing your risk of heart disease. Discuss topics including cholesterol’s link to heart disease, how to maintain a low cholesterol diet, and treatment methods for lowering your cholesterol.

Red Yeast Rice

I have extremely high cholesterol and triglycerides, and have been on and off statins,  They have destroyed my muscles and joints, so I can't take them anymore because of the pain and inflammation.

I have genetic, familial hypercholestemia.

Looking for alternative--has anyone tried red yeast rice?  Results?
I understand how you feel. My cholesterol is within normal range, but I have had a heart attack that required one stent. I also have tried several statins and they were awful! One of them had me on the couch for a week feeling like I was going to die.
Have you tried taking any of these meds just a few times a week instead of everyday to see if that helps? My cardio Dr said he has to do that with some of his patients.
We have a natural alternative forum here at MH. You may want to post your question there to see if you can get any help. I do know there are foods and supplements that can help your cholesterol.
Be careful, if you had a bad reaction to statins you will most likely have the same on red yeast rice, it is a natural statin. Have you tried more than one statin? Not all a created equal.

Jon
Yeah, except Lipitor.  That Crestor was the WORST!  But the dr. is on me caus the number are in the 400's and bad high triglycerides, plus I am diabetic and overweight (NOW I am, I wasn't before all this chronic pain).

I tried Green Tea pills, celery seed, almonds, Omega 3's, too.

Thank you for answering.
Please do NOT start any exercise program without consulting your doctor first.

Jon
Red yeast rice could help! you still need to have your blood checked and speak to your doctor about using Red yeast rice! Plant based diets help and exercise.
The one thing that seems to apply to the vast majority of people, is lifestyle, rather than specific foods. I won't get into the research here, but the results in examining different factors not ordinarily considered in medicine, are striking. Diet is just one of these diverse factors. Go to the wikipedia article on the book, then buy yourself a copy for $5 on amazon.com: "The China Study" by T. Collin Campbell, a nutritionist who co-directed the largest nutritional study of its kind and has published hundreds of peer reviewed articles in the major journals. His studies review diet and its association with obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and what he came to realize are other "diseases of affluence." You will probably change your diet before you finish the book, which, although written in layman's terms, appears to be as well cited as any scientific article, in case you want to track his thinking.  
The causes of high cholesterol may appear to be familial, but there are other causes too, which you may consider deeper than genetics. Reading the book will start you on a very interesting and challenging journey. My best to you, and others dealing with these challenges.