Statin needed?
total cholesterol: 214

Triglyceride: 76

Hdl: 51

Ldl: 148

38 year old woman. 10-15lbs overweight. My doctor insists I take a statin. I told her noway my numbers arent that bad. Would you take one?
Anyone alive in this forum??
We're alive. Your LDL is well above the recommended level of 130 and a statin will be the quickest way to reduce it. A statin can reduce your LDL by an average of 42% in a matter of weeks. You may also opt to make some lifestyle changes before starting a statin with exercise and diet with your doctor's guidance and retest in 90 days. Much depends on your other risk factors such as weight, BP and smoking.

Personally, I take a statin and have for years with no issues. They are both very safe and effective but you need to do what you feel is best for you. Your numbers are not terrible, but I would not want an LDL of 148, it's just too high. If you have any specific questions concerning statins let me know and I'll tell you what I know.
Your numbers are alarming given your age, in my opinion.  I rejected the idea of taking statins, and paid a heavy price.  If you take statins, your blood will be tested in 90 days and it will show any issues, but the chance of a problem is less than 4%.  
That said, a weight reduction of 10% coupled with daily exercise will probably show a reduction in ldl, and your hdl is excellent, but statins are very safe.  I'd lose the weight, take the statins, your heart will love you back. If you smoke, by all means, quit.  In my case with Congestive Heart Failure, ldl above 75 means a very long lecture by my cardiologist.