Sudden HDL Drop
I am a 52 year old Engineer and Gym Rat who works out regularly, runs at least three days per week, has a body fat percentage of 14.1% and has always had great lipids. My HDL's have always been in the high 50's to 60's range. Yesterday I had a finger prick lipid test and while my LDL's all came back at the same great levels they always have been, my HDL's have absolutely tanked. They came in at 22! In all the years I had kept track of my Lipids, the lowest I have ever seen them was once after I was ill and was unable to work out for about a month or so and had lost quite a bit of weight, they bottomed out at 47. I have to add that I am having an issue with quite a bit of pain and swelling in my left leg. I was checked for possible vascular issues such as DVT but all the tests and scans showed a lot of evidence that I do a lot of running. I was told the Musculature and Vascularity of my legs was absoloutely beautiful. Ergo, we are still puzzled on why my leg is swelling. While this is another issue, I am wondering if it could be related in anyway to my crashing HDL levels. Much thanks and have a Healthy Day!
That type of test is very unreliable for measuring HDL. If you only swelling in one leg it is usually NOT related to a systemic issue, rather an injury to the leg itself. I have a similar problem in my right leg due to OA damage in my knee which is restricting the legs ability to remove excess fluid.

I would have a proper fasting lipid profile done before I got too worked up over a finger test. I'm guessing your numbers will be fine based on your profile.

Jon
Thanks Jon, You may have hit the proverbial nail on the head. The Ortho I went to told me I have a little bit of pre-OA going on so that could very well be it but he is running a c-scan Wednesday to see exactly what is causing all the pain in my knee. Actually the pain has subsided and taveled a bit. Now, instead of just sharp pain in my knee, it is a rather dull constant ache that goes all the way from my knee up into the left side of my groin around my left testicle. It's very strange. Thank you for your input.
I've been finger-prick tested for lipids for some months now. Please say why you fault it? It produces blood , although a lesser amount, than the needle in the vein. Same thing, no?
you mention fasting. Have you seen the recent Canadian study on 200,000 patients concluding that a 14-hour fast is unecessary before a blood test for lipids?
I was searching for the answer to the same question and found this -

http://www.labtestsonline.org.uk/understanding/analytes/hdl/tab/test

Is there anything else I should know?
HDL cholesterol should not be measured when a person is suddenly unwell. Cholesterol is temporarily low during sudden illness, immediately following a heart attack, or during stress (like from surgery or an accident). You should wait at least 6 weeks after any illness to have cholesterol measured.