Cholesterol Community
Why is there a warning about Hypothyroidism?

Cholesterol, a waxy, fat-like substance, is important for you body, but too much in your blood can form plaques that sticks to artery walls and narrow or block your arteries increasing your risk of heart disease. Discuss topics including cholesterol’s link to heart disease, how to maintain a low cholesterol diet, and treatment methods for lowering your cholesterol.

I got put onto a new statin and in the handout the pharmacist gave me it says that my doctor should be "aware of any low thyroid hormone levels". I'm just curious what does hypothyroidism has to do with it? Is it just because it can cause high cholesterol or does it react to the drugs some way? If I stay on these and my Hashi's gets worse and I go hypo again is that going to cause problems?
Your thyroid controls your metabolism so if your thyroid is under active it can cause your LDL levels to increase. This is because your body tends to store fat and not burn it when your thyroid hormones are low. Did you discuss this with your doctor? I'm guessing that he knows your condition and history and has considered the risks versus the benefits, but you should discuss it with him.

Jon
Thanks for the reply! That makes sense. Yeah it's been discussed that the cause of my freakish cholesterol is either my thyroid or weight or genetics. My thyroid seems to be playing nicely so I'm praying its my weight and not genetics (which is unfortunately pretty probable).

She's a good doctor 90% of the time, the other 10% she just ticks me off because she doesn't think I need to know things... and gets impatient with my questions.