I got put onto a new statin and in the handout the pharmacist gave me it says that my doctor should be "aware of any low thyroid hormone levels". I'm just curious what does hypothyroidism has to do with it? Is it just because it can cause high cholesterol or does it react to the drugs some way? If I stay on these and my Hashi's gets worse and I go hypo again is that going to cause problems?
Your thyroid controls your metabolism so if your thyroid is under active it can cause your LDL levels to increase. This is because your body tends to store fat and not burn it when your thyroid hormones are low. Did you discuss this with your doctor? I'm guessing that he knows your condition and history and has considered the risks versus the benefits, but you should discuss it with him.
Thanks for the reply! That makes sense. Yeah it's been discussed that the cause of my freakish cholesterol is either my thyroid or weight or genetics. My thyroid seems to be playing nicely so I'm praying its my weight and not genetics (which is unfortunately pretty probable).
She's a good doctor 90% of the time, the other 10% she just ticks me off because she doesn't think I need to know things... and gets impatient with my questions.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.