Cholesterol Community
Will Diltiazem increase triglyceride and/or lower HDL?

Cholesterol, a waxy, fat-like substance, is important for you body, but too much in your blood can form plaques that sticks to artery walls and narrow or block your arteries increasing your risk of heart disease. Discuss topics including cholesterol’s link to heart disease, how to maintain a low cholesterol diet, and treatment methods for lowering your cholesterol.

My triglyceride level used to be at the 78-85 level in the past 3 years.
Yesterday my blood test shows a triglyceride level of 125.
My HDL is also slightly lower than my last year's result.

About a year ago, I had a change of medication to Diltiazem 120/24mg
for my high blood pressure. Diltiazem is a calcium channel blocker.
Will Diltiazem change triglyceride and/or HDL levels?

Anna
As Per pubmed
The effects of diltiazem hydrochloride, a vasodilator often used to treat hypertension, and beta-blockers (pindolol and propranolol hydrochloride) on lipid metabolism and carbohydrate metabolism were assessed by measuring serum levels of total cholesterol, high-density-lipoproteins (HDL)-cholesterol, triglycerides, and glucose in patients taking these drugs for three months. No significant changes were observed in any of the values in patients taking either diltiazem hydrochloride (180 mg/day) or beta-blockers (15 mg of pindolol or 60 mg of propranolol daily). The decrease in HDL-cholesterol levels and increase in triglyceride levels reported in 1978 to be associated with use of propranolol, and with the concomitant use of hydrochlorothiazide and propranolol, was not found.
As Per pubmed
The study you reference concerns me in that is was for only 3 months.  These medications are usually prescribed for long-term treatment.  

To my recent horror my triglycerides had leaped to nearly 300.  Reviewing my historic levels, I saw two specific time when my Tri levels 'doubled'.   This was following the doubling of my propranolol dosage, however not as an immediate effect.   I was not aware this could be an issue so, I was not hypervigilent to monitor - the blood work was done maybe 12-24 months following the dosage increase.

Sure wish I had been aware of this danger- I would have made sure to have my levels monitored more frequently AND requested a change in medication- now I am left dealing an avoidable health situation.  The only way I discovered the information was (after the fact) when I was exploring to find causes for high Tri - otherwise, the info is buried deep in the literature.
After 25 years of trying to correct hyper-cholesterol and triglycerides, I find triglycerides tricky. Triglyceride levels can quickly change depending on diet and exercise levels; certainly a high-sugar/low exercise regimen will raise them substantially.  
Also, any drug that slows the heart rate will have an effect on one's metabolism.  Beta Blockers, Ace Inhibitors and Calcium blockers all can lower the heart rate, and I wonder if it could raise triglycerides?
I'm not a health professional, I'd think this is a great question for a professional on this board.  Keep us informed.