Cholesterol Community
high cholesterol and high blood pressure

Cholesterol, a waxy, fat-like substance, is important for you body, but too much in your blood can form plaques that sticks to artery walls and narrow or block your arteries increasing your risk of heart disease. Discuss topics including cholesterol’s link to heart disease, how to maintain a low cholesterol diet, and treatment methods for lowering your cholesterol.

I have high blood pressure and taking diovan 160 mg for that. The other day when my doc gave me my test results for cholesterol, she said it was 97, she said it was too high for anyone with high blood pressure, it should be around 70 and she said continue with lovastatin 20 mg. I do not like the way the meds make me feel. They make me feel tired all the time.  I hate taking meds but the doc continues to scare me with what may happen if I don't take the meds. Why can't they make meds without side effects?
I'll guess you are North Carolina trucker,  age 54?

First of all,  your cholesterol  is not 97.    Well at least that is not your total cholesterol number.     More likely that is your LDL cholesterol.

Do you know what your blood pressure is?

Yes,  there are side effects from taking statins.   Some worse than others and some worse in some people than in others.
In some cases a person can change their blood pressure and their cholesterol numbers in a significant way and thereby cut back or eliminate their need for the drugs.
(this should never be done without first consulting your doctor)

However the changes for you to look to non drug methods to control your BP cholesterol can be quite substantial.   Meaning if you completely changed your lifestyle with diet and exercise,  you might find that you can greatly reduce or eliminate your drugs.  (again, only with the full  knowledge of your doctor)

However to attempt that change you'd have to be very serious and if as it appears,  you are a 54 year old trucker,   you probably wouldn't be willing to make those changes.   I might be wrong.
Are you also significantly overweight?

So short of a huge change in diet and exercise,  you'd better settle for the drugs.
Perhaps there is a different statin that would give you the desired effects but with fewer side effects.
Have you tried other drugs beside lovastatin?

Again, assuming you are a trucker,  I imagine that lifestyle,  eating on the run and sitting for hours,  is not great for a person with high BP and high cholesterol.   Also easy to gain weight.

So there are alternatives that might work for you if you are willing to make significant changes.
Short of that,  you better get used to the drugs.  
Just curious,  but what is your total cholesterol and your HDL cholesterol?
As I said,  the 97 number is almost certainly your LDL number.

Oh yes,  do you remember what your cholesterol numbers and your blood pressure was before you were ever put on meds?   Meaning your natural levels without drugs.