ldl PATTERN B
LDL has been running betw.een  60 and 75 the last several years, tris have been running between 220 thru 280 in same time frame , hdl 38 to 41 and total 160 to 180. Have read that the low hdl and high tries Can be a sign of pattern B LDL AND even at those low # I could be at high risk for CAD, any thoughts on this. thanks ( 54 YEARS OLD)
.
Welcome and thanks for your question. Simply out, LDL B carries a higher risk of heart disease. Here is an excerpt from the link below explaining why;

LDL B pattern particles;

--Are not cleared from the bloodstream as rapidly as the more normal large LDL particles, since the LDL receptor recognizes them less effectively. Small LDL of pattern B therefore hang around much longer, providing more opportunity to cause atherosclerotic plaque.

--Are more adherent to the artery wall, making them more likely to trigger plaque formation.

--Are more potent triggers of inflammatory responses of the sort that make atherosclerotic plaque grow.

--Are more prone to oxidation, making them more powerful triggers of inflammation.

--Are more prone to glycation, or the glucose-triggered modification of the apoprotein B that makes it much more likely to contribute to atherosclerotic plaque.  

http://www.*************.com/cholesterol/c/7986/116328/ldl-pattern

Also, here's another link that states the additional risk;

"Individuals with pattern B are also more likely to develop high blood triglyceride levels after a fatty meal (postprandial hyperlipidemia). Pattern B is associated with accelerated atherosclerosis and a 3 to 5- fold increase in heart attack risk. Pattern B is believed to be the most important cause of atherosclerosis in people with normal or near normal total and LDL cholesterol levels."

http://www.medicinenet.com/your_cholesterol_profile_-_in_depth/page12.htm

Both are great reads and can explain this better than I can.

I hope this helps!

Jon