Cholesterol Community
ldl PATTERN B

Cholesterol, a waxy, fat-like substance, is important for you body, but too much in your blood can form plaques that sticks to artery walls and narrow or block your arteries increasing your risk of heart disease. Discuss topics including cholesterol’s link to heart disease, how to maintain a low cholesterol diet, and treatment methods for lowering your cholesterol.

ldl PATTERN B

LDL has been running betw.een  60 and 75 the last several years, tris have been running between 220 thru 280 in same time frame , hdl 38 to 41 and total 160 to 180. Have read that the low hdl and high tries Can be a sign of pattern B LDL AND even at those low # I could be at high risk for CAD, any thoughts on this. thanks ( 54 YEARS OLD)
.
Welcome and thanks for your question. Simply out, LDL B carries a higher risk of heart disease. Here is an excerpt from the link below explaining why;

LDL B pattern particles;

--Are not cleared from the bloodstream as rapidly as the more normal large LDL particles, since the LDL receptor recognizes them less effectively. Small LDL of pattern B therefore hang around much longer, providing more opportunity to cause atherosclerotic plaque.

--Are more adherent to the artery wall, making them more likely to trigger plaque formation.

--Are more potent triggers of inflammatory responses of the sort that make atherosclerotic plaque grow.

--Are more prone to oxidation, making them more powerful triggers of inflammation.

--Are more prone to glycation, or the glucose-triggered modification of the apoprotein B that makes it much more likely to contribute to atherosclerotic plaque.  

http://www.*************.com/cholesterol/c/7986/116328/ldl-pattern

Also, here's another link that states the additional risk;

"Individuals with pattern B are also more likely to develop high blood triglyceride levels after a fatty meal (postprandial hyperlipidemia). Pattern B is associated with accelerated atherosclerosis and a 3 to 5- fold increase in heart attack risk. Pattern B is believed to be the most important cause of atherosclerosis in people with normal or near normal total and LDL cholesterol levels."

http://www.medicinenet.com/your_cholesterol_profile_-_in_depth/page12.htm

Both are great reads and can explain this better than I can.

I hope this helps!

Jon

LDL B pattern particles;

I hope this helps!

Jon