Cholesterol Community
low thyroid with high bad cholesterol
About This Community:

Cholesterol, a waxy, fat-like substance, is important for you body, but too much in your blood can form plaques that sticks to artery walls and narrow or block your arteries increasing your risk of heart disease. Discuss topics including cholesterol’s link to heart disease, how to maintain a low cholesterol diet, and treatment methods for lowering your cholesterol.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

low thyroid with high bad cholesterol

just had bloodwork done and everything great but thyroid production slightly low and my bad cholesterol was high at 176 so total cholesterol was high at 271. dr. wanting me to start on medication for both!! have been exercising on regular basis for 25 years and always watched what i ate!!!  he is telling me its family history and i need to start on lipitor and a throid medicine!  NEVER taken medicine.  I"m wanting to follow a special diet for a year and then retest for my levels!! Opinions???
Related Discussions
159619_tn?1318997813
Your LDL is much too high and it needs to be treated as life style changes alone will not do enough good most likely, especially if you are already living a healthy lifestyle including exercise and still have an LDL this high. There are many diets to try, but my guess is you should start the statins to be safe. You have much to gain, just have a very frank discussion with your doctor about any side effect concerns you may have. These are very safe drugs and are very, very effective. You can always come off them, but you can never make arterial plaques go away.

Good luck,

Jon
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Cholesterol Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979