relationship between cholesterol and calcification of arteries
.  I  am 67 years old and have been taking simvastatin for 10 years. I started when a cardiologist put me on simvastatin and crestor for cholesterol level of 225.  My level was brought down to 160.  

I had side effects and thought that the cholesterol meds might be to aggressive. My internist also questioned the cholesterol medication.  He told me that cholesterol causes calcification of your arteries but that is not true with many individuals. He recommended that get a calcium score study to measure the calcification in my aorta and carotid artery,  My calcium score test was low for my age and he believed that if I have a low calcium score I should stop taking meds for cholesterol

My family history made me think about this........My dad had angina at 57 but had low cholesterol, while my mom had over 300 cholesterol but never developed any heart problems.

Is my doctor's belief that cholesterol  is only a number and that  if you are not prone to calcification of  your arteries you shouldn't take meds sound and in line with current knowledge in cardiology
Not everyone is the same, some can have high cholesterol and never have an issue while the majority will. My parents a re a great example, both had a little over good cholesterol numbers, about 225. Mom does not exercise and is not overly active whereas my father is a health nut, bike 25 miles a day and eat right.  Mom needed a 3 way bypass at the age of 72 due to a heart attack to which my father was hard on her and her lifestyle. He spoke too soon, he had a 5 way one year and one week later after failing a stress test. Everyone is different.
YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUgKekv57hI&feature=youtube_gdata_player
I agree with that statement you are what you eat but the MAIN cause of heart attacks is not high cholesterol it's inflammation. What causes inflammation? SUGAR, GLUTEN, processed foods. Sugar is the main culprit.. the inflammation is the reason why people have heart attacks.. we are a fat phobic world when we shouldn't be and that is the problem right there. People who have good cholesterol are having heart attacks all the time.. has nothing to do with their cholesterol levels has everything to do with the food that you eat.. Watch the video on Dr. Oz maybe it will change your views and help you get off those drugs!!! there's actually a couple of videos to watch. WORTH THE TIME take a look please - http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/doctors-who-say-everything-you-know-about-cholesterol-wrong?video=16023