Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Community
Can IBS and Iron deficiency cause CFS?

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a disorder that causes extreme fatigue over extended periods of time which persists after rest and limits one’s ability to conduct ordinary daily activities. Discuss topics including causes, exams and tests for CFS, treatments and how to live with CFS.

Can IBS and Iron deficiency cause CFS?

I'm 25, female. I've never been energetic, but maintained a healthy lifestyle and did't have major health issues until about a year ago.

In 2010, I went to South America and got sick, I had a GI infection for the first time ever. Vomiting, stomach pain, and weakness. I've been tested for parasites and tropical illness, all tests were negative. It took a couple months before feeling back to normal.

I was fine until my menstrual cramps got so bad I ended up at the ER. I was told I had Endometriosis and Ovarian cysts that would require surgery.

Shortly afterwards, I suddenly came down with viral gastritis. It never really went away. I had stomach pain, bloating, malaise, weakness, food sensitivity and rashes for months. Endoscopy showed chronic gastritis, a hydrogen breath test showed fructose intolerance.

Around June I started getting really tired. It became difficult to get through the work day, sometimes I had to leave early and would go to bed as soon as I got home. A blood test showed my ferretin was at 11.

End of July I had laparoscopic surgery to remove the ovarian cyst. No complications. I was told recovery would be 2 weeks. Well about 5 days after the surgery, my fatigue suddenly worsened even more, and more, and more. My ferretin was at 8 by late august. I couldn't return to work. I was diagnosed with post-infectious IBS and given iron supplements.

Its now been 2 months since I started taking iron pills. My ferretin is back to 11 and my hemoglobin is way high. The hematologist says I should have gotten my energy levels back by now, but nothing has changed! I'm STILL not back at work, I'm in bed ALL day, I walk half-way around the block and I am out of breath!

No doctor has found the cause ofmy fatigue, I can't stand it anymore, its destroying my life! What couldit be??? Is it CFS?

I'm not depressed by the way. I want to go back to work again so badly and go out with my friends, and run on the treadmill, I miss it so much, but I just can't keep up.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? It is good that your ferritin and hemoglobin levels are okay and ovarian cyst was removed.  Chronic fatigue syndrome usually refers to continued tiredness that may last for more than 6 months that is not relieved by rest and is not directly caused by other medical conditions. The exact cause  is unknown but it has indeed been associated with viral infection, inflammation in the nervous system, and factors such as age, stress, genetics, environmental factors and previous illnesses.  The goal of treatment is usually to relieve the symptoms present. It is best that you have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation, To determine the  diagnosis, further diagnostic tests may need to be done. This link may help: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002224/
Take care and do keep us posted.
Thanks for your response.

I've seen my gastroenterologist and I was seen at the internal medicine clinic recently.

My gastroenterologist was still concerned my ferretin was too low (it was 11, normal range starts at 20), so he prescribed me a stronger iron pill. Overall, my stomach pains have been greatly reduced, so thats good news.

Since my post, I've been slowly getting less fatigued overall, but I still keep relaspsing every once in a while. I'll have a few days where I can do chores, shop, even excersise, but then suddenly I'll go through a few days where I can't even keep my eyes open and need to rest all day, for no reason.

Internal medicine will be testing my iron, blood sugar and cortisol in February. I hope that my progress starts speeding up....