Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Community
Repeated Fainting

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a disorder that causes extreme fatigue over extended periods of time which persists after rest and limits one’s ability to conduct ordinary daily activities. Discuss topics including causes, exams and tests for CFS, treatments and how to live with CFS.

Repeated Fainting

Ok so last October I started uni and became ill with glandular fever. I started suffering from regular faints (3 or 4 times a week) and the doctor ran a lot of tests to check it wasn't my heart or head or anything. He also checked for Addison's disease. My ECG showed that my heart rate was slightly irregular but apparently that's fairly common. Anyway, I began to get really fatigued, weakened and suffering from a lot of joint pain and in January I was "diagnosed" with M.E/CFS after tests for other thyroid and muscular illnesses. The doctor has seemingly given up and used that diagnosis as a last solution. He's not bothered by the fainting but considering it has now increased to an average of twice a day I'm a little concerned despite the fact that all tests have come back clear. I've noticed that it worsens when I'm more fatigued, for example my worst day was 12 times but I was extremely tired and had about 3 hours sleep that night. When I am more rested I find the fainting is less frequent...over Easter vacation I managed my first clear week since October. I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions as to what could be the cause? Or if there are any solutions? Is it connected to the CFS? My blood pressure is generally somewhere around 105/60.  When I faint it goes pretty grey and the room begins to spin. I space out and find myself unable to move and my friends can't get a response out of me, even after flicking me on the nose. When I faint my friends are aware of what's going to happen so they usually manage to catch me. Apparently I crumple which is indicative of a 'normal' faint rather than one associated with a heart problem where you just face plant. However, a couple of times I have fainted whilst sat down which is a little concerning. I feel like my body just can't be bothered staying conscious anymore, that's the only way I can describe it? But I'm just getting so fed up of it, it's frustrating, inconvenient and embarrassing to say the least. I want to be able to take control. I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me their thoughts on the situation. Many thanks guys.
Tags: fainting, CFS
Hi, I've had CFS for the past 4/5 years, also post viral like yours, in the first few years I regularly fainted also, and still do now occasionally it is part of the illness unfortunately. Ive managed to get a better control of it now though the only way is to not use up too much high energy, which includes getting ready, talkin, social network sites, listening to/watching upbeat new things.. A lot really so considering you said you're in Uni that's going to be pretty hard for you to cut down on because of lectures, and the social sides of things, but unfortunately those are the sacrifices you have to make to help yourself get better. I had to retake my GCSEs twice because I was too ill to complete the courses, cos activities most people see as relaxing everyday things will exhaust us very easily.
What advice have the doctors given to you, if any?