Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Community
Stress, virus, then tons of non-specific symptoms for 8 months.

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a disorder that causes extreme fatigue over extended periods of time which persists after rest and limits one’s ability to conduct ordinary daily activities. Discuss topics including causes, exams and tests for CFS, treatments and how to live with CFS.

This winter I was going through a lot of stressful stuff with family and my relationship, and my anxiety/worrying got pretty out of control to the point that worrying started to take all my energy. I started doing a bit better in early spring, right after I turned 21, then I started getting bouts of nausea and fatigue. They weren't debilitating so I thought nothing of it. In mid-April I started getting some spells of lightheadedness, fatigue, etc. that were more debilitating and I also had an increase in headaches. At the end of April I came down with what seemed like a virus: low-grade fever, fatigue, some nausea and vomiting, lightheadedness, dizziness, and pains in my ribs and back. Before it started I had headaches two or three days in a row and it's rare for me to get headaches. I got better in about 8-10 days.
Two weeks later I had more nausea and vomiting along with the lightheadedness and some new symptoms appeared: woke up every morning with severe nausea and would eventually vomit, had slight weakness on the left side of my body, sometimes felt like I could pass out, couldn't eat, etc.
Since the beginning I have had good days and bad days, although the good days seem to be lasting longer and longer. Usually I will feel decent for about two weeks and bad for a week. Now my main symptoms are some digestive issues (the morning nausea/vomiting went away completely but now I have an urgent need to have a bowel movement every time I wake up, no diarrhea though), severe gas and bloating (sometimes the gas is very painful), and waves of lightheadedness and fatigue. I have to get a LOT of sleep and I usually feel better at night. Sometimes I get heart palpitations too. And I feel like I have to eat frequently or I get lightheaded.
I'm thinking the digestive symptoms might be a form of IBS, but could I have post-viral syndrome or CFS as well?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Chronic fatigue syndrome usually refers to continued tiredness that may last for more than 6 months that is not relieved by rest and is not directly caused by other medical conditions. The exact cause  is unknown but it has been associated with viral infection, inflammation in the nervous system, and factors such as age, stress, genetics, environmental factors and previous illnesses. On the other hand, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) presents with  abdominal pain and cramping, or changes in bowel movements. To confirm diagnosis and to determine the underlying issue, further diagnostic tests may need to be done including blood tests as well as imaging studies. Your medical history, symptoms present and results of these diagnostic tests are needed in evaluation by your doctor. Take care and do keep us posted.