Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Community
off and on symptoms for the past year

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a disorder that causes extreme fatigue over extended periods of time which persists after rest and limits one’s ability to conduct ordinary daily activities. Discuss topics including causes, exams and tests for CFS, treatments and how to live with CFS.

off and on symptoms for the past year

I don't have CFS, I don't think my symptoms are severe enough to qualify, but not sure where else to post this. I had a bad case of mycoplasma infection last December. I had two full blown episodes, the second occured only 2 weeks after the first seemed to subside. I had a lot of difficulty breathing properly (even though I'm only borderline asthmatic), I would get severe coughing fits throughout the night that made me retch a lot, sometimes my throat would close up quite a bit making it quite laborious difficult to breathe properly. About one or two months before the mycoplasma infection even started, I started getting muscle aches and fatigue a lot. Anyway, all in all I had to go through three or four courses of antibiotics to get rid of the infection.
SInce then, I've not been 'right'. I keep getting episodes of headaches, lethargy and bone crushing fatigue. They come and go; there are periods, sometimes weeks go by when I feel fine, and then they come back in full force. I've tried alternative therapies that help some, but they are expensive and the symptoms eventually return. The brain fog is horrible. I already have ADHD (but do not take medication for it), so it's a double whammy. I keep having to go to the doctors' for sick leave and I feel like a hypochondriac, and spend a lot of time blaming myself for not being 'tough' enough. I've been trying to follow a regular diet, take vitamins, exercise regularly, sleep early.... but the symptoms keep returning. I've tried everything in the book, so to speak, am not sure what to do now.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Do you still have the symptoms that you mentioned? I'm sorry to hear about the recurring mycoplasma infection and  the variety of symptoms you experienced for the past months.  While mycoplasma infection may be easily transmitted through contact with droplets from the nose and throat of infected people, this may be managed with rest and medication. With regards to Chronic fatigue syndrome, this usually presents with a variety of symptoms such as  fatigue not relieved by bed rest, feeling unrefreshed after sleeping for a proper amount of time, concentration problems, joint pain, headaches, irritability,  and muscle aches and muscle weakness. These may be observed  for more than 6 months that is not relieved by rest and is not directly caused by other medical conditions. The exact cause  is unknown but it has indeed been associated with viral infection, inflammation in the nervous system, and factors such as age, stress, genetics, environmental factors and previous illnesses. To confirm this diagnosis, further evaluation may need to be done by your attending physician.   Take care and hope to hear from you soon.