Chronic Hives..driving me nuts!!
I'm a 29 y.o female who has had hives 9 months.  When I first saw my doctor he gave me a course of steroids, that didn't help at all.  I have tried all sorts of antihistamines... Zyrtec, Claritin and now i'm trying Chlor-Trimeton. All of them not helping much anymore.  I have read article after article about hives and the more I read the more down I feel about it.. not being able to find a cause.
I have had an allergy test and I have high allergy to dust mites.  How can you totally free your home of dust mites!  I have used Tea Tree oil in my washing machine for my towels, bed sheets and clothes.  I have had a blood test, which was pointless.  I'm not sure what else to do.. you forget what it was like to be itch-free!  My hives started on my back.. extreme fiery red itch.  But recently it hasn't been on my back at all.. its now my arms and my legs, occasionally my chest and tummy.  Extremely itchy, very warm and alot of welts.  Its driving me nuts!! People say "it will take its course", well i can say for myself and i bet alot of others, its not that easy.. it is EXTREMELY uncomfortable.. extremely!
I have read about Quercetin, a natural antihistamine.  Has anyone tried this at all and has helped relieve there hives?  I have also read Mint helps and also Sandalwood oil helps too.  I prefer natural remedies personally but I will do whatever for them to go away for good.  
Has anyone had relief from doing a Total Detoxification program at all? A remember reading a gentleman's log and he had gone to India for AYURVEDA treatment.. i can't seem to find his log anymore though.  He left a website http://www.ayurveda.org/

I would appreciate any help or information that anyone can give me. I know how you all feel out there!  It's not fun. Best of Luck everyone.
Thanks again.
ask for the Candida blood test - if that is elevated then demand a stool test as well - which will pinpoint the type of
yeast that may be causing your hives!

((just a thought))

p.s. you don't eat Splenda do you? that causes major hives and not a lot of people know about it!
Hi Deeds,

Thanks for responding to my message.  

I do eat Splenda now and then.  But when the hives came on, I wasn't using Splenda back then.  However I was drinking alot of Coke Zero and Diet Coke.

Do you think aspartame, which is the sweetner in those drinks could cause hives?? I know its not good for you.  Any thoughts?

Thanks again.
Yes, aspartame can cause allergy!! and hives! (rash)
I would cut it out of your diet for a good 2 weeks and
see what happens - it's worth a shot!
My husband swears that diet coke causes him to itch!!!

Hi .. i have have chronic hives for approx. 12 yrs. the dr. i saw gave me allegra which you are supposed to take once a day, it relieved the iching for the day. so i had another dr had me try Chlor-Trimeton which i found i did not have to take once a day.. maybe every 3 to 4 days.. if i did not have the Chlor-Trimeton i would scratch my skin so badly it would bleed. and leave nice little round wholes in my skin that would take a long time to heal.. "Work it course" huh!!!
If the Chlor-Trimeton stopped working i would just die.. the itching is madning madning i say !!!!!!
did that medication make your hives go away or just stop itching? Sorry woody to be asking questions on your post, I am just really curious.
I can`t really give you any advice, but I just will send my prayers out to you. I am a 16 yr old female and I`ve had severe hives for a little over 6 months now. They don`t know what the cause of mine are. I`ve recently developed a new condition. This whole process sucks. Doctors seem to be clueless as to how to treat hives. I too started off on a steroid pack, zyrtec, and claritin. Now because off this other condition that is similar to an allergic reaction and they also have no clue to I am on prednisone twice a day, zyrtec, allergra twice a day, ranitidine, and singular. I still have whatever this condition is and although it helps a little it never completely goes away. So again, good luck and god bless. Just wanted to show some support because I know most people don`t understand what this puts us through especially during the summer where clothing can`t hide them.
I too had a bad reaction with Singulair. They are thinking the Candid (systemic infection) is the cause of the allergies/itch/hives... so many doctors put off diagnosing it but, it is really something you can look into. A place called Genova Labs (I think in South Carolina) has a stool sample test that you can send in on your own ($46 with no insurance) the test takes 2 weeks but, the results are worth it!!!!!!!!!  Candid is SO overlooked! I think $46 is worth it....

And I'm back again!  I have to agree.. Chlor-Trimeton has been working wonders for me!  I only need to take one every 2-3 days.  I also ended up buying a bottle of Sarna lotion, over the counter.. with no cortisone!!!  I find it very helpful with the itchy rashes.  As soon as i feel myself getting itchy i apply it to the area.  Its excellent.  I forgot to write in my post first off that i tried Singulair too... but that was hopeless!  It ended up being 100 times worse, getting rashes under my arms and down my forearms.. it was awful.  Plus they cost a fortune!!  A waste of money!!

I have to agree with you dabomb... the itching just drives me crazy some days!  I've forgotten what it was like not having hives!
I really want to try Quercetin.. natural antihistamine.  I have read a little about it, but i haven't heard any reviews about it yet.  If it actually helps or not.
Thanks for all the responses everyone.  Any other questions or recommendations let me know.. I'm open to ALL ideas and thoughts.
Thanks for your help Deeds!

Did you send in your own or did your doctor do the testing?  Do I just look up there address and send in my own, or give them a call.
I just want to get to the bottom of this!  Did you have any other symptoms other than the chronic hives??  

Thanks again :)
I received the test kit from my allergist that came from Genova labs...
I am thinking you can call Genova and ask them for a kit to be sent to you or your doctors office - you then take the kit home and follow the enclosed instructions...they have you then call DHL courier for pickup (they provide shipping matierals  and they pay shipping costs too) I stuck my check/payment inside as instructed and waited two weeks.  I not only got a call from my allerigst with the results but, Genova sent me a report too...
and yes, I did have more symptoms then just hives & itch...I had a bad case of tonsilitis followed by a severe case of bronchitis...on top of developing huge allergies to peanuts, mushroom, chocolate (I had never had before)... I always thought I had IBS (Irritable Bowel) but, I think it was my food allergies...now possibly more Candida related then a true allergy...this entire ailment was kicked off spending Thanksgiving Day weekend in the e/r the Blood Pressure med I was taking triggered anaphalixsis...I was then allergic to every thing they've tried on me since...My allergist did Candida testing on my arm and it showed a HUGE allergy to Candida - the nurse kept asking me if I was just on antibiotics (which triggers growth of candida) but, I hadn't... I had not been on ANY antibiotic for months (probably a year) that was the one clue ((to me)) that never fit right and I kept going back and questioning that reading...
turns out - my questionig lead hopefully to an answer  
Thanks for the information on the testing.  I will definitely have to give them a call.
Now the extra symptoms i have noticed for some time now are :  Thinning of the hair, not balding, but i have noticed quite a change in the thickness of my hair and the loss of hair when i wash it.
On and off headaches.. sometimes really sharp.  A few months back i had severe abdominal/tummy pain for weeks and alot of gas but that has now gone, thank goodness!
I used to have alot of anxiety.. which seems to have subsided as well. (fingers cross that never comes back!!)  However i do think that stems from other things.

Seasonal asthma too... whenever i get the flu or a cold it goes straight to my chest, awful bronchitis/asthma.  Recently it took 3 weeks to get over!
Now does hives bring your immune system down? I was just wondering if should i be taking a supplement to keep my immune system strong.  The last thing i want is another cold/flu which leads to chest problems!

Thanks again Deeds
Hi Im 25 and i just started getting hives 2 months ago. The Dr put me on 400mg cyclosporine and I just had a huge flare up so i was given steroids 40mg of prednisone. I can't really take antihistamines because they make me so drowsy. Zrtec included Alegra doesn't do the job on its own. This is really a pain because I am now having to take meds to cover up the symptoms of the Cyclosporine and Steroids. Has anyone taken this drug? Any luck? My dr says that the next step would be drugs for rheumatoid arthritis or anti malarial(used to treat malaria) drugs. Help!!!!
Hi.  I looked for allergies also re hives but turned out hives due to autoimmune disease.  Have a look at Lupus and Hashimoto's disease.
...J
I totally understand everyone's frustration.  I had my first hive attack about 10years ago but they lasted couple of hours and looked like bug bites (they have their own special name but i forgoet...). anyways, i'd get them when i get nervous or stressed out, but it would always last a couple of hours and I'd get them VERY infrequently. Apparently I'm "hive prone".

Then a year and half ago, i went on vacation to Korea and my body was under tremendous stress from traveling and drinking.  I had my first very bad chronic hive break out on the top of my hands.  You couldn't even see my knuckles! Went to the hospital, they gave me some "medicine", and i went home.  After that I'd get just a few hives on my elbows, top of feet and wrists. But it didn't bother me at all.  I returned back to the states feeling almost normal.  I lived my life with just random breakouts on the top of my hands and top of my feet. Sometimes they'd itch and sometimes they didn't.

The three months ago, i started getting them daily on top of my hands and a few on my eyelids.  Went to the doctor's and he gave me zyrtec, two hours later I had big hives on top of my hands and on my neck. I have never gotten them on my neck before!!! I was scared but continued the meds for three days.  Within the three days I had break outs all over my body (except face). So i went to see an allergist and he said I have chronic autoimmune hives without even any tests!! I have no history of allergies, so I believed him. I'm not so sure he's right.  Since then I've been on prednisone for 3 months but on a pretty low dosage and all different sorts of antihistamines. and faith has it that antihistaimes do not work at me at all and prednisone is very dangerous. I did all sorts of researches and I went to the allergiest with some ideas. he'd say I shouldn't look in the internet and believe everything I read and I shouldn't even read these posts!  How rude! This is a doctor who has gone to a very respected med school and practiced/researched for many years, so I do not know what to think of him.

A month ago I decided to take probiotics (still on prednisone). Didn't notice anything for the first week but noticed some improvements afterwards.  Then I read something about a herb called "yellow dock".  So on third week of probiotics and yellow dock I noticed some improvements.  Then a week ago I had my wisdom tooth (never really bothered me though) pulled  and went on antibiotics. I have had VERY minor hives...a few tiny specs here and there with just 5mg of prednisone since then !

Called the allergist and told him what happened and he says antibiotics make hives worse not treat them and that it's a coincedence...what a know it all. I have finished my antibiotic yesterday and I fear my hives will flare up again. So far it has been good today. Maybe I had some hidden infection? Maybe going through a tramatic experience of getting your tooth pulled set my immune system straight? There's no proof for my theory, but with a disease like hives, there's no proof for anything. But my friend had minor chronic hives and started taking antibiotics for acne. she reports that she hasn't had hives in a while either.  GET A FULL BACTERIAL INFECTION check up!!! I will if my hives flare up again.

There technically is no link between infections, but cmon! They dont even know why you have hives! My doctor says my immune system is so good that it's broken. It's so alert that it's attacking myself. That doesn't sound like a "so good" immune system to me.  I say your immune system is broken period. since most of your immune system is in your intestine, I think it's important to balance your intestine through healthy diet and natural cleansing.  Probiotics are harmless so try it. I take the theralac brand but there are even better ones that come in powder. Yellow doc helps your intestine as well but it makes you use the bathroom, if you know what i mean.  And I take airborne for vitamines.  But be careful because I noticed I've gotten sensitive to things and developed minor allergies while having hives.

sorry my post is so long. just wanted to make sure if you saw your story in mine and see if my relief will work for you.  By the way, my  hives get BETTER AT NIGHT. when i start moving around and function, then it starts coming out.
Hyon - have you ever had  Candida testing? Might be worth your while
I just happened upon your post googling "cleansing for hives".  I have dealt with hives for almost 10 years.  Mine seem to be exacerbated in the summer heat, and they also seem to be brought on primarily by stress.  I have some right now on my elbows, forearms and tops of my hands that started the day before my son went away to camp for the first time.  I also had a really bad case in January that came on suddenly after a stressful encounter with a co-worker, and within hours my feet were so swollen they looked like puffer fish!  I ended up having to have my husband take me to the minor emergency clinic the next morning as my lips and ears started to swell.  I was put on prednisone and zyrtec.  I have never taken prednisone and hope to never have to again.  I am strongly opposed to the use of drugs unless absolutely necessary.  Anyway, I said all that to say that there are some natural remedies for hives, although they may not work as quickly as drugs.  I think you or another poster mentioned quercetin; this is an effective remedy although you need to take it for a while before it starts to help.  But you can take it all the time as a supplement and it can help prevent hives before they start.  Another one is stinging nettles.  This works better than quercetin.  I always have a bottle of nettle tincture.  I believe cleansing your system helps as well.  I remember doing that when I first started suffering with hives all those years ago.  It was recommended to me by a woman at the natural foods supermarket.  I ate only brown rice, watermelon and lots of fresh vegetables for about five days and a severe hives rash completely disappeared.  I also really believe that, in general, our diets affect the way our bodies act.  If your diet routinely includes lots of processed foods, especially "diet" foods with artificial sweeteners and foods with artificial colors, you should try to cut all those things out and see what happens.  I have researched hives for many years, and one of the most common allergens that can cause them is FD&C yellow dye #6, and it's probably the most commonly used color in foods.  
So, sorry my post is so long; I really hope you find a way out of your hives.  Good luck!
PS  you can find quercetin and nettle tincture at your local natural foods store.
I have been reading this thread and I think some of you might have what I have and you hit on it at the beginning of the posts... Diet Coke or aspartame in general. I am sitting here all bbut tearing the skin off my lower arm as I am trying to write this.
I figured out several years ago that Diet Coke might be maing my lower arm itch. It's worse than an itch, it's under the skin where you can't reach it with your nails and it would wake me up out of a sound sleep with no warning. I tried eliminating everything one thing at a time and couldn't figure it out -- except the diet drinks because I was so attached to them and I figured there was nothing in them to bother me. I ruined lots of diets because I came off of them due to the itching, thinking there must be some connection. I noticed it didn't happen on vacation and so I thought it was stress, maybe, but then I started to see that I was drinking real sugar Coke on vacation.
I went to my dermatologist who gave it some long name, said it was the nerve endings under the skin and suggested I use the pepper based arthritis creams like Capzasin (sp?) to make my arm burn and hopefully mask the itch because normal creams would not go deep enough. That did nothing at all. I would have set a match to my arm if I thought it was relieve the itch/pain. I asked him about the Diet Coke and he said, "No, aspartame doesn't stay in your body to cause something like that, it's not cumulative." What the heck did that tell me? Zip.
Anyway, I also noticed deep feelings of anger and mood swings after I would drink one of those BIG diet drinks from the gas station so I quit the aspartame sweetened drinks cold turkey and it all cleared up and went away completely. within days Oh, I should tell you that the itch would move from place to place on my lower arms between the elbow and the wrist and sometimes backs of hands with every episode, different location.
It takes a few days to go completely out of the system, but it's worth a try to anyone who has this.
Last night, I drank some Kroger generic brand diet lemon-lime soda, thinking MAYBE the Coke brand could be the problem and not the actual aspartame. I get wild ideas once in a while and that's all that was in the house. STUPID! I am sitting here since 5 this morning in misery. It took hours and hours to kick in but it sure did and I took a zyrtec before bed, too!
I usually drink the Splenda based stuff -- Diet Rite or Dollar General's Cloverdale diet cola. I don't notice any difference as far as caffeine, either.
Good luck, I know it's misery.

Sabby
I just wanted to say a very big thank you to all of you out there who have responded to my log.

Alot of ideas have been thrown my way and i appreciate all the help.
I just started looking into the Genova Labs (sp?) group.  Try and organize some testings through them and I am going to try some natural remedies for the hives.
I will definitely keep everyone posted on what happens and what works for me.. fingers crossed I can solve it!

Thanks again everyone.. greatly appreciate it :)
Gotta let me know how the Genova stuff turns out!! I think so many people just get 'medicated' for symptoms and never find the real answer to the cause....
I think new chemicals in our food supply, metals in our environment, molds and toxins can really do a number on ones immune system. Leaving us all open to new and fun (not!) ailments like - oh - Candida and allergies to Splenda, and all sorts of FUN things...Keep us posted!!  D
I have been suffering from hives for 6 months.  Right now I am out of town on business and have hives on arms, inner thighs, and hands.  These are the big ones that don't itch as much as they hurt.  I have taken Benadryl and  Prilosec which is a histamine 2 antagonist.  I have 10 mg Prednisone tabs with me but the directions are to take 40 mg for angioedema and gradually decrease dosage.  I know that if I take this dosage I will be up all night but am really uncertain about how much I should take.  Using Aveeno to sooth the welts with minimal effect.  I empathize with anyone going through this experience.  Any suggestions appreciated.  Am thinking of thinking an immunologist since the allergist was absolutely no health.  Or as I read somewhere a physician would rather see an elephant in his office than a patient with hives.
Hello to all,

I am a 29 yr/old male and am a chronic idiopathic urticaria and angiodema sufferer for almost 6 years now.

I had been to every specialist in the world and had every test possible, no known cause found.

How frustrating.......It completely turned my life upside down. All I would think about are my hives, it totally controlled my life, ruined my career, and destroyed my self esteem. Always wondering if someone is staring at your hives.

I had been on every known antihistamine there is............and they all SUCKED. Complete Garbage.

Until I found Elavil........Since I started elavil, my daily hives have been completely gone for almost 4 years now.

50mg a day at bedtime. It is also an antidepressant so that aspect of it helped my life as well. It is an older drug and will make you drowsy for the first couple weeks, but that goes away completely with time.

Zyrtec, Zantac, Prednisone, allegra, etc.........all garbage.

Take Elavil and Be Free Again!!!!!

-Best of Luck to all, I feel for all of you.

I just had a look at the medication you are now on that has helped your chronic hives... Ummm there are ALOT of side effects with that drug.  It looks pretty damn scary to me!

Did you get any side effects from it?
I took elavil years ago for a brief period of time to help with insomnia.  I had no adverse effects other than I couldn't wake up in the morning.  

I recently began having hives (38 y/o).  I have never had them before.  I flared up a couple of months ago.  Thought it was stress.  They went away for a few days, then came back with a vengence while I was on vacation.  Am on Vistaril and Keflex right now.  Just started taking them yesterday, so don't know if they will work for me or not.  At least with the Vistaril, I get some sleep (not awake all night wanting to skin myself).  

Find that cold works, at least temporarily.  So does a bath (1/2 full) with 1/2 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup cornstarch.  I soaked in that yesterday and it took the itch away for a few hours.

Someone else (other website) mentioned that s/he takes 2 grams vitamin C daily and Cayenne Pepper capsules 2x a week and that s/he has no more problems.  

At this point, I am about ready to try anything.  For all of you that have been experiencing this longer than I, you have my deepest sympathy.  I am going out of my mind with this and the idea of living with it for years frightens me.  Just shoot me now, please.

Good luck to all.
i recently posted a forumn about my improvement of chronic hives after getting my wisdom tooth pulled out.  It  seems my wisdom tooth has made them worse but wasn't the source. three weeks after I had it removed i still need to take 5mg of prednisone daily to maintain my sanity. I am going to pick up some quercetin and stinging nettles that someone mentioned up there and try it today. i will let you guys know how it works out.  

DEEDS - who would I go see to get tested for candida? Is there a specialist for bacterial infection testing?   Thanks.
Sorry to hear you are back where you started :(  Deeds has suggested a company called Genova Labs that does all that type of testing.  I recently went to there website.  They are now known as Genova Diagnostics.  Here is there website.  They do all sorts of testing. https://www.gdx.net/home/gsdl/

Hope this is some help.  Please let me know how the quercetin and s/nettles works out for you.
Best of luck.
Wow.   I am glad to know I am not the only one who wants a complete skinectomy.  I am a 28-year-old female who has been to the allergist and found allergic to only dust, pollen, mold, and grass.  The allergist treated me like I was a wack.  I am on my third or fourth batch of hives each bout lasted for WEEKS on end.  Hives make you crazy - they are in fact in your nerves.  I am going to try the holistic approach and ... get rid or my diet coke  (with tears I will miss) and other processed foods.  

The only lotion that gives me relieve is an oil of Olay body lotion called QUENCH.  I apply it several times a day in between my bennadril pills.  You gave me many good ideas to try out - especially the Candida lead.

hi there :)
I have stopped drinking diet drinks too, which hasn't helped my hives.  I'm with you when it comes to healing.. natural holistic all the way.  My only problem right now is the fact I am from Australia and I live here in the United States, I do have travel insurance but it costs a fortune to go to the doctor here!!  My plans are to stay here so in July I plan on getting some type of health insurance, which will be so much better.  I don't think my travel insurance covers issues like this as I have had it for almost a year.  I know its a personal question greatdane, but do you reoccurring yeast infections at all?  I do, which makes me think its related to Candida.  And lately my stomach issues have come back, bloating, gas, abdominal pain.  I'm trying to hold out until I get my insurance here.. however its driving me nuts, if it's not my hives, its something else!  I'm going to look into Genova Diagnostics here when I can.  I just get worried some days its something more serious, we shall see though.
I'm hopeful that I will sort it out soon.
Best of luck to you too :)
Hi all,

I googled this looking for a diet coke and itching.

I was getting generalised itching - arms and scalp mainly a while back. The same sort of deep under the skin itch that others have been describing. Telfast 180mg seemed to help.

I went to my doctor about something else and he ran blood tests, and my Liver Function Test came back abnormal. He wondered if it was test error and ran it again. Still abnormal.

So he ran it again with all the usual possible causes, the hepatitises, Barmah River Fever, Ross River Fever (common in this area in Australia) and several others. Still abnormal LFT's but negative to all of the above.

I started thinking. The skin is a secondary backup to the liver for removal of toxins. And I was drinking a hell of a lot of Diet Coke. 1 1/2 to 2 litres per day. I asked if he thought that could be a cause and he wasn't sure, so I went cold turkey for 4 weeks and we ran the tests again.

In that time the itching went away, and in 4 weeks the LFT's came back normal.

In time the pull of the diet coke got stronger and I went back to drinking it. For a while I kept my quantity down to 1 can a day and I was fine. Recently I've gone back to 2 or 3 cans a day and now I'm itching again.

This time it's generally one foot, my lower legs, and sometimes my upper legs. You feel like you could tear your skin off to get rid of it, especially if you are trying to do something physical which makes you hotter and that makes it worse.

So I'm going back off the Diet Coke again. Probably for good this time.

Hope someone finds this helpful.

Dave
Australia
not sure if you are still reading this..but i wanted to update you on the whole quercetin and stinging nettle. i took stinging nettle once and talked to my doctor and he told me that soemtimes it causes hives..so i stopped it immediately..just didnt' want to take the chance. so i been taking quercetin X3 a day and probiotics and 5mg of prednisone and my hives are even better then before. i haven't been this good since i had my second major attack.  i also talked to my sister who has a allergy test done and she told me our family is very allergic to dust. i  moved to a new apt a week ago and my hives improved as well. i am attemping to slowly taper off the prednisone today. hopefully i can get off of it.
so the conclusion is..quercetin is worth a try and give it a couple of weeks. the stinging nettle plant can give you a rash (almost like poison ivy) so it's up to you if you want to try it. i say try it on a weekend just incase you do break out and u can just stay home.  also even if u're not officially allergic to anything, keep your house clean.  probiotics overall help your body balance out bacteria and boost your health.
Thanks for writing!  I'm so glad to hear the quercetin  is helping you.  I will be definitely trying it!  
Hope everything keeps going well for you :)
New to this page - very interesting and helpful. I just started with my first experience with hives - started Wednesday, and so far nothing has really helped (antihistamines, Prednisone). One thing I found interesting was the possible connection between yeast and hives. To me, this all started when I got a yeast infection 2 weeks ago that didn't clear up after using OTC remedy. The night I decided to "re-treat" the yeast infection that was lingering, I broke out into hives, everywhere, on and off - though not on my face. They seem to be okay during the night, but will flare up after I start moving around. I asked my dr. whether the lingering yeast issue could be related to these sudden outbreaks, and he said no - ? Can someone tell me what the connection is, as there does appear to be one.
Believe me I have so much compassion for you people experiancing hives, I had hives as a kid when I ate a cherry, none since then untill April of this year.
Went to the Hospital for one day, then back four days later, for another four day stay, they tested everything found nothing.
They put me on Predisone RX and Cortisone cream for my hives.
This is almost July I still have hives, legs top of feet behind back arms hands, fingers, neck, stomach.
I can tell you one thing, I do know, Splenda will mess up your DNA it is the worst of all the sweeteners, Neutrasweet, & Saccharine are not good for you.
Regular table sugar is the best of the worst, it only has 78 bad reactions to human beings.
I the only one I haven't heard real bad things about is Stevia, I heard they have a new one that isn't bittter?
I would be grateful for any help for my hives. I can sympathize with anyone with these hives, I forgot what it is like to not itch.  
God Bless you all I will pray for you.

I know it is one of my vitamins minerals or supplements I am taking.
Do you know of any of the below mentioned products I might be allergic to, I drink 2 Green Tea, bags in 16oz hot water.
4 TBS. MSN granules, 1 tsp. trace minerals, 2-000 size super greens, 4-000-capsules 250,000,HU Cayenne Pepper, 1 tbs. Ruby Reds Powder in 8 oz Filtered water, 1-tsp. 900PPM liquid Potassium,
( 1 tsp. mixed minerals, calcium, silica ) 1-500mg Paba, 4-multiple Amino Acid cap 500 mg, 1- Soya Lecithin 437 mg, 1-triplegarlic, 1-Beta-Carotene cap 25,000 IU, 1 E 400 IU cap,
1- capsule D-alpha Tocopherol, mixed Tocopherols 1,000 IU, 2-Enzymes 500 mg, 2-EsterC 1,000 mg, 1 tbs., Chlorophyll,   2-8 billion acidophilus, daily

Wow.. mines the same. All over apart from my face.  I am impressed with the amount of vitamins/minerals you take!  I am on acidophilus twice a day and take super green powder supplement too.  As far as all those, im not sure if you would get hives from them.  Does the ruby red powder have cherry in it?  Of what you say about just regular sugar.. i think i will quit that too!  I have read a fair bit about stevia from a book called The Truth About Beauty by Kat James.  Excellent book!  I would advise anyone who is trying to improve there health to read this book!  Kat mentions a couple of substitues for sugar in this book, They are: Slimsweet by TriMedica, SoooLite by NuNaturals, Lo Han Sweet by Jarrow Formulas.  The SoooLite is the less bitter of the Stevia products.  Hope some of them help.  I have websites where you can buy them.  Let me know if you if you are interested or try your local health food store.  Did you read further up about quercetin that has helped with hives?  I want to try it myself.
One more question.. taking all of those supplements... do they really help with the way you feel?  More healthier.. clear skin etc.??
Keep us informed in what you come up with :)
Best of luck :)
you are the first person i've read about that have improving hives at night and worst when you move around (same as me). i was starting to think i was some freak because most ppl's hives get worse at night. i talked to a pharmacist and she says it's the heat in your body that makes hives come out when you move. my  hives have been slowly improving. now i'm taking 2.5mg of prednisone and able to maintain some sanity (i still break through but durable).

as for yeast infection....i talked to my doctor and he says it's a myth...i personally have never gotten a yeast infection...i actually rarely get any infection. but i noticed a link between just regular irritants, my health, and my emotions. i slowly got worse when i started working with this very negative annoying person.  And in the past month she has been gone and since she came back i haven't had to deal with her much. so my hives are much better.  granted i am taking quercetin...i think that helps too. but when im around that person i get so irritated and i can feel this anger/frustration building up inside me. i just want to tell her to shut up and stop nagging about everything, but i can't. so i keep all that stuff bottled up. i think that contributes greatly. it builds up this big ball of fire inside you....it sounds cheesy but i think it's worth staying away from ppl like that and if you can't be honest and confront them.
I have spend many hours studying this Hive problem.  Stress can cause hives, but I don't have stress.
From what I have learned so far is sometimes something can trigger hives, like I heard one say he ate a half pound of chocolate at one time and got hives.
I have several problems or possibilities that might have triggered it.
I got some liquid potassium, 900 PPM was taking a tsp. every day, found another brand that was 1200 PPM so I started to take two tsp. a day, when I was trying to find out what my problem was, I forgot to take me tsp. of Potassium in the morning so at bed time I took 2 tsp. just before bed, I laid there all night scratching, said it must be the potassium, so I quit taking it all together started back on my other vitamins and minerals, the hives started to come back, now I don't know what to think, so that is where I am now, I quit taking all the products I thought might be a problem, still have hives.
I have studied vitamins, minerals, supplements, alternative medicine, and spiritual truths, for twenty five years, I know more about that, than most doctors
they get eight hours of training in the above fields in all there training, so unless your doctor specializes in that field he don't know squat about vitamins, my family doctor told me a while back if it isn't on the front page of the American Medical Journal, don't tell me about it.
That is when I decided that he and I must part.  He just finished Medical School 2 years ago, I went to him with an infection, he gave me pepsid for stomach problem.
Doctors today are salespeople for the Pharmaceutical Companies.
All they know is what the RX companies tell them.
I have an email I have put together to help others, with the proper vitamins and so on for good health.
When I whip this problem then I will be able to help others with these problems.
Has any body tried Hivotin, Or Histarix, or Lacitrex, they are guaranteed to work at least two of them are.
Read Eating For Beauty By David Wolfe, and Healing Celebrations By DR Leonard Horrowitz these will open your eyes.
If you want the email I put together to help others?  ***@****
Thanks Richard
I'm with you all the way when it comes to health!  Being Australian, the comparison in the  medical systems here is unbelievable.. daylight robbery! I spent over $100 on singulair and could only take 9 tablets out of 30, ridiculous red itchy rash that drove me to tears! So now i spent that money and i can't take them.. what a waste! The doctors seem to push the most expensive drugs.. its quite amazing, it always comes back to money!!
Last week i visited a doctor regarding my abdominal pain/rectal pain/reoccurring yeast infections.. he called me last night and informed me that i have ovarian cysts, on both sides.  I was quite shocked! They found this through a pelvic ultrasound. On one side, the cyst is 2 inches big.  I wonder if any of my health problems stem back to the cysts now.  Just trying to keep my chin up and what will be, will be.  I am very interested into studying vitamins/minerals... like what you have.  I thrive off any information i can get and i just want to keep learning more about it.  
You mentioned Histarix, I think i came across that on a website, you could only purchase it from that site.  Was quite hesitant when you can only get it from the internet.  The others i haven't heard of.
I am interested in that email Richard, if you could pass it on.
Thanks for writing.. you learn so much from others.. their experiences.
Thanks again.
I put my email address in the last one they removed it, I thought I just about had most of the answers, jusy before the hives, LOL There are times I think God give thease to me, so I can do the research, to find the answers, so I can help others.  AOL Has what they call Answerology where people can ask questions on any subject, and get answers, you can also give email address, your answers you can keep private or let people know who you are it is pretty neat.  You should join it is neet, it is free to anyone, just fillout the form.
I help quite a few people on there.
It sounds like to me you need a little more help, there is a Doctor in Canada
He is a doctor for 28 years, he finally closed his doors to the public, five years ago, because the Medical field only treats the symptoms, I want to treat the cause, he says he will for $125.00 one time fee he will kept you in good health for the rest of your life, guaranteed or your mney back. He works on the internet
and a 800 mumber to hep his patients.  I am sure you would have to take the vitamins and minerals he suggest and change your diet.
he says he cah heal any disease, by changing your diet and vitamins, that is if you haven't waited untill your so far gone there is no saving you.
I also have a couple more doctors, that might help.  Dr. Darrell Wolfe  
www.thewolfeclinic.com/  Tell him that Richard Hurlburt sent you.
I also found out that antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen makes hives worse.
Woody don't be afraid to purchase products on the Internet, I wouldn't buy any other way, it is much cheaper than buying local, if the site is encrypted it shouldn't be a problem, I have shopped on the Internet for years, it is the only way to shop.  Make sure they have like BBB logo, or other recognized organizations that vouch for the site, PayPal etc.  BizRate.
If anyone is serious about getting rid of these hives, I would recommend on getting
Hivotin, Or Histarix, or Lacitrex, they are guaranteed to work at least two of them are.
http://www.lacitrex.com/           http://www.hivotin.com/   http://www.treatfast.com/  Histarix™
Good Luck All Warmly Yours Richard
My Idiopathic urticaria starting the first week of March 2007. Somehow deep inside i knew it was going to last a while......just not this long. Its now July 8th and I, too, am ready to jump off a bridge.....I have had allergy tests, to no avail.....i have been on so many antihistimines that my neck/face/head hurt. I take Zantac, cyproheptadine, visteral, doxepin and zyrtec to control the hives. I still break out head to toe. My eyes swell, my lips swell, and so does my throat. I know this sounds like an allergy, but my allergist thinks its not. Along with the swelling my chest also hurts, only on the right side, its been checked out and there are no heart problems thankfully,  and i freeze even in very hot weather. I have thyroid disease but medication has regulated that...fibromyalgia as well. I am gonna lose my mind......i need help!!!
that's about the time my hives flared up. i've had my chronic hives for a year and a half but flared pretty bad since march. this is going to suck hearing it..but there is nothing to indicate how bad and how long you will have hives. doctors tell you it doesnt have anything to do with your health but that doesn't sound right. im sure it does somehow. there have been cases where an infection is tied to it. have your doc check for known infections...bacterial and viral. i've been on prednisone for 3months. i do not react to antihistamines...but that should be your last resort. prednisone works very well but very bad consequences. however i couldn't live day to day without it. i'd have to stop my life and hide in my apt. so you have to weigh your options carefully. my personal opinion is that though it has bad long term side effects (its dosage related) if you can't even function now...it's worth a short term course. recently my hives have gotten much better. just be healthy and get a physical..including a trip to the dentist!
I've had hives on and off since 1969 - it's horrible. The last bout lasted 3 years - the longest (ending in 2000). Now their back! I'm trying to keep my sanity, but ripping your skin off is pretty brutal, let alone not very nice to look at. I know they are from nerves since I was tested by everyone under the sun (except for the candida - I may ask my doc about that).

I have tried almost everything that I've read about here - my only comment about steroids is that you have to be so careful with them. And, you look so lovely with a fat face (I try to keep my humor through this all).

Does anyone have any recommendations for something to use for the itch? Also, I've tried them all - benedryl, itch-x, etc. nothing seems to help, and I'd need to bathe in it. I get them everywhere, including my lip and eye (another lovely sight). But, I'm open to anything at this point.

Any help or just empathy is certainly appreciated. I never thought I'd need to join a support group for hives, but at this point, I have nothing to lose!

Thanks!
I've posted here before about the things I've tried so far to control my hives. As i have posted previously, after having my wisdom tooth removed and on antibiotics I've seen a great improvement.  So i researched infections and there is a controversial (spelling?) on H. Pylori bateria.  I grew up in South Korea and I read an article that a test in Korea showed a relation between the two (the bacteria is common in Korea). So I talked my doctor into giving me a blood test on it and it came back Positive!!! I started taking the treatment that includes a strong dose to antibiotics yesterday and I see immediate results.  I had maybe three to five tiny, tiny, hives on my hands this morning and now I barely see one.  So I strongly suggest researching the bacteria and see if you possibly  have it.  Remember not all idiopathic/autoimmune hives are tied to it and not all H. pylori is related to hives.  It's possible it is a coinceidence and it might return or just disappear for me...but i'd like to believe mine is because of the bacteria.
Thank you so much! I will ask my doctor about testing for that as well as candida. Anything is worth a try. Good luck with your treatment - I hope you continue to stay clear.
I got hives the first part of April, still have them, I know part of mine is an allergy to one of the vitamins, minerals or supplements.
I also have spent hundreds of hours studying this problem, stress can cause hives, allergy's, and parasites is another.
I ran across a Dr. Hulda Clark has found that parasites can cause hives, she also had found a cure for Cancer, Aids, and any other disease, ever cure advanced cancer, not arrest cancer but cure it.
She has written several books on curing the different disease's, I just got one of her books today, haven't read it yet, but I already know the basic cure, that is to kill the parasites in your body, it is done with a specific method of Green Black Walnut tincture, Wormwood, Cloves, she has only a website for her books,
http://newcenturypress.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc this is the address for her books.

Products made to her receipt, Dr. Hulda Clark Store, they sell products made to her recommendations.  http://store.drclarkstore.com/parasite-program.html
There are several sites that sell products made to he specks.
She said that all the indigenous people do parasite cleanses, she says you worm your dogs why don't you do it for yourself.
She claims everyone in the world has parasites, when your body get so full of parasites, then they can come out through the skin, cause all kind of diseases.
You must do a parasite cleanse, then take a dose of the three products one a week to keep the parasites out of your body.
I think this would be a good thing for all of us to do. Then go from there if necessary.
Good Luck to all.  Warmly Yours Richard
can some one please make sure that what I have is something that someone might have also.  I hear people talking about having hives.  My hives I get are like my hands will swell, or my finger tips will swell.  half lip swells, i get knots on any part of my body that are red and hot at touch.  my knees may swell.  i even get a knott on the bottom of my foot sometimes.  sound like anything someone has?  they come and go daily.
what you have definitly sounds like hives. not all hives look or appear in the same places. everyone has their own patterns.  in your case, most of you hives are in the form or angioderma (sp?). that's when the hives are deep in your skin so it's more of a swelling then actual wheals. either way they are a pain in the butt. it's made many ppl's lives hard...i strongly recommend a visit to an allergist just in case you're one of the lucky ones who might have an actual cause.
I already went to an allergist, actually a couple different ones.  They did all the allergy tests, came back I wasn't allergic to anything.....imagine that.  I think I have been to about 15 different docs trying to figure out what I have.  I went to a ruematoid (misspelled) doc last week and he is running some blood tests on me.  He told me to carry an epy pen with me at all times because he said I have been very lucky that I haven't had one in my throat.  This is just getting me really upset because I have had these for 11 years, and I even had one doc tell me I was doing this myself!!!!!!
I haven't had one in the past couple of days.  Its a vacation!!  They always come back though.
The doc I went to last week said that he thinks it is the Chronic Hives, and said that he could put me on a med that will kill my immune system.  Can't do that because I have a 2 and 5 year old and they are germ carriers so I will be sick all the time.  Plus it can cause serious problems with your kidney.  I also read something on the internet about docs doing a biopsy on the bumps when they are there.  Problem is I don't know when and where they are going to appear, and they are gone in about 12 hours.
My mother wanted me to ask you if you have ever had surgery done, and if so what happened afterward.  I have had to different surgerys done in the past 11 years, that have no relation to my hives, but both times about a week after my surgery I got about 100 hives (bumps under skin).  Any ideas?  I just called my mother because you are the first person that I have talked to that seem to know something about this.  Oh, and I also saw something above in someone elses writings about Candida testing.  That is actually funny because I went to a doc about a month ago, and he wants me to do those tests because he thinks I may have a yeast overgrowth due to the fact that I was on antibiotics so many times as a child.
please read your original post for my brief history. as for surgeory...i have had one a very long time ago. i doubt it is related in my case. but in your case you might have been sensitive to the meds they put you on after the surgeory. i have a friend in the military and he breaks out in hives every time he gets shots prior to going out to the field. i have actually tested positive for h. pylori bacteria and i noticed improvement after starting treatment. i am still on treatment so we'll see if the two are related. as for your doctors...i think you definitly need to go find one that has experience with hives.  my doctor isn't exactly the most sympathetic person but he sees many people with chronic hives. he's able to answer all my questions except for the cause. actually..he says it's autoimmune. why don't you just write me an email?  i totally understand your frustration. not sure if i can help find a cure for you since i haven't for myself but i can give you information (i spend 50% of my time at work researching for this stupid thing). it's ***@****
it's not letting me post email addresses..weird...im gonna try to enter spaces in between each other. just take the spaces out when you email me..     c h i c h o @ m y u w . n e t
It's amazing just how many people suffer from Chronic Hives!  
Today I just started taking Quercetin, so I will keep everyone informed on how well it works against my over the counter antihistamine.  Fingers crossed!
Richard... how are those Dr. Hulda Clark books coming along?  Have you done the parasite cleanse yet?  Keep us informed.. the information you gave is very interesting!

Cheers :)
Was reading all with interest, putting my two cents in.  I'm a diabetic, so steroids are a particular pain.  I've had a major breakout.  I also have fibromyalgia.  Several years ago when I was first diagnoesed with fibro, my internest told me fibro is similar to lupus in that you can get "offshoot diseases".  I was lucky enough to get cold urticaria.  My extremities and face begin to turn bright red, swell, burn and finally itch miserably when exposed to cold - sometimes just a too cold store will do it.  The first time, tho, it was a breakout of pure hives.  Steroids helped and they only lasted a few days.  After that it was mostly the swelling, burning and I cold control it by simply getting warm.  HOWEVER, my internest told me most people who suffer from cold urticaria will evenutally get the "heat" version.  This is my lucky year - oh joy.  And it's 100000000 times worse than the cold.  I started with a medrol dose pak and my insulin pen for the inevitible crazy blood sugar, but as the does pak decreased, the hives came back.  Then he put me on a steady dose of 40 mgs of prednisone.  It's slowly decreasing - every so slowly - I'm ravenous and can't sleep - but it's slowly decreasing.  The prednisone gives me major hot flashes and each time I get a flash, every hive on me begins to rage.  I've also noticed now and then I get a new spot, but doesn't seem as bad as the ones at first.  He gave me zyrtec, maybe it helps, I don't know. Vistaril doesn't do squat - makes me sleepy for about 15 minutes and does nothing for the itch.  Am on cobetisol propionate cream twice a day and as long as I stay extremely cool, it seems to help A LITTLE BIT.  Actually, the best thing I've found for temporary itch relief is the antibacterial hand gel - it's almost all alcohol, but it does stop the itch for a few minutes - sometimes longer.  The doc says it will dry them out more, but I follow up with mosturizer and it does seem to help - eucerine cream cause it doesn't have all the perfumes.

Currently I'm just praying this is like the cold urticaria and each outbreak will get easier to live with - but for some reason I don't think I'm going to be so lucky here.  My hives are on my inner right upper arm, all over my tummy and boobs (YUCK!!!!) and some on the back of my hands and then the cracks of my arms/inner elbow area and backs of my knees - all the places prime for being "hot and sweaty".  The weird ones are on my face and chin - a couple near my eyes - don't understand that, there's not a "sweat proned area" on the face that I know of.  In my super ac office, they feel not so bad now with these meds, but my home doesn't stay that cool no matter how hard I try, so I find I take backwards steps at night, then a few forward during the work day in the super cool environment.  Also, our car ac is out, so that's just miserable!

Anyway, I'm trying to deal the best I can while begging God to PLEASE clear these up in a hurry.  I have cut off my fingernails to try to stop scratching, but I still manage and have some bad areas to prove it.  They have progressed far enough that I'm able to resist scratching some, but every now and then....whoooey!

If I'm still breaking out next week I'm supposed to call my doc back, and at that time I'll ask him to do some checks for infection and even the candida....I'd thought it might be infection related, somehow it just seemed like it.  Plus I work around tons of nurses and paramedics and they all seem to think it's an infection.  So we'll see.

Good luck all, hope something in this long tirade might give someone an insight or two.
so today is the the last day of my H. Pylori treatment. I have seen great improvements since i started the two week treatment.  In fact, i did not even take my prednisone yesterday.  I have not taken any today either. So far, so good. I can't believe i can see the back of my hands without disgust.  But at the same time, I'm really scared. I'm scared the H. Pylori isn't related and that the hives will return any minute. they come and go without warning..other then last four months. I've had them every day!! yesterday I think i had maybe two or three small ones.  And today so far the count is zero. I strongly recommend looking into some infections.  the only reason i looked into it is because I saw improvements after being on antibiotics for wisdom tooth removal...I will keep you guys posted.
I've read about the candida, and it doesn't seem to match my stuff (I don't even like saying the words)... Every day is a crapshoot to see what will be swollen on my face (eyes or lips), then how the rest of my body will look. There is no consistency for dots and swelling. Sometimes my hands/feet just get itchy and swollen, so you never know. So far, it's not going away. I met a nutritionist last week and I am going to set up a consult with him. He did mention quercetin and had me buy fish oil - of course, that did nothing, but I guess we can all use some more fish oil in our diets. Got nothing to lose but dots. Woody, I will be very interested how you react to the quercetin.

Did the regimen of prednisone last time this happened, and after stopping each time, they came back. So, this time, I'm not going to do that again. I keep thinking "they will run their course." It's almost easier to deal with the pain after scratching the **** out of them, then the itch. I was told that witch hazel helps with mosquito bites, and I am going to try that for the itching. And yes, what a lovely thing to have in hot weather!

I appreciate reading everyones' postings. I do feel like I'm not the only one looking like a dotty/bloody/scabby chick, so thank you all!
yes..the hives will run its course. but i don't think i would have made it through the last three months without committing suicide if i hadn't been on prednisone. I took very little..just to take the edge off. when it comes to any meds, it's important to take it at the same time every day.

as for quercetin, i've tried it. I've tried yellow dock and stinging nettle as well. also some natural hive medicine from the supplement store. they really had no affect. probiotics seemed to help. which makes sense because i have h. pylori.

i strongly recommend going to see an infectious disease doctor. I have a gut feeling that most of these "indiopathic" or "autoimmune" hives are causes of underlying diseases. That includes things even like herpes. yes..that sounds scary. so i can not say yet that h. pylori has been the source since it's only been two days since i completed the treatment. but i haven't had any major hive break out since being on antibiotics. in fact today's count is also zero.
.. and I'm back again.. and with no luck with Quercetin!  Maybe it helped a  little as I don't have that "I want to shred my skin off itch" but thats about it.  I have gone back onto antihistamines. :(
I agree with you hyon with the underlying diseases idea.  The whole chronic hives is like finding a needle in a haystack, trying to work out what the hell is wrong or should i say whats triggering it.  Last week i came across a small pea-like lump on the left hand side of my neck.. it doesn't hurt but I should get my doctor to check it out.  A lump is also scary.. your mind wonders in all sorts of directions with worry!
So I guess I'm sticking to the antihistamines for now. :(
Wow.  I had no idea so many other people were suffering like me.  I started to get chronic hives 8 months ago when I emigrated to New Zealand.  Like all others the Doctors have no idea what is causing it.  I have tried the food diary but nothing in particular seems to trigger it off.  Any help from anyone on more natural remedies woutld be appreciated.  Some days I just sleep for hours and hours because the hives just take it out of me.  Find all this stuff about lupus and oher autoimmune diseases is scaring the hell out of me.
How are your hives doing since you have done the H. Pylori treatment?  Did you have severe/moderate abdominal pains or any other abdominal issues for that matter?  I began having hives when I was about 12 years old, they lasted for about 5 years up until my senior year in high school.  Back then I took Benadryl and was constantly tired, almost as if I was a zombie, I hated it!!!  When I was about18 I noticed that I wasn't getting the hives after I accidently missed a few doses of the Benadryl, so I took a gamble and weaned of them.  When I was in College and up until I joined the military in 2000 I had no occurence of them.  Then I went down to basic training for the Air Force in San Antonio, TX for about a month and a half, in the last week I began getting them again, and they came back full bore again.  I finally was transfered to Biloxi, MS to get some technical training for the Air Force, I saw a military doctor down there and he put me on claritin when it was still prescribed.  That worked immediately, I had to take the claritin religiously though until I was about 23/24 years old, again like the Benadryl I had taken when I was younger, I missed a few doses and noticed that I didn't get any hives, so I weaned of the claritin, finally, no more hives, but I always kept claritin close by just in case.  Then it happened, in November/December of 2006 I started to get hives again, I'm 26 years old at this point.  I went back on the claritin and it seems to have lost its affect, like I grew out of it or my body became accustomed to it.  I've had the hives ever since.  In February 2007, I saw my normal doctor and told him about the claritin no affect so he put me on a short run prednisone treatment, which did not work, then he just seemed unwilling to pursue this issue with me.  I finally called an Allergist office and went to see them in May of 2007.  My first doctor at the allergist office ran allergy tests and nothing came up positive except for a few grasses, female dust mites, and sugar maple trees but these were very mild responses at that.  So he put me on 300mg of Allegra.  The Allegra did not seem to help at all and within a week and a half I began getting severe stomach pains, nausea for a few hours at night time when I was trying to sleep.  I thought it might be a side effect from the Allegra so I stopped taking it and went backed to taking the claritin, this time I was taking the claritin in the morning and in the evening even though it is supposed to be just once a day.  This seems to work better than the Allegra did, but still have hives break through the medication, but the claritin definitely mitigates the severity of the attack.  I then rescheduled another appointment with the same allergist office, I got a different doctor, he ran blood work and put me on doxepin, ranitidine (Zantac), hydroxyzine, and only 180mg of Allegra...I stopped taking the claritin and tried this for a few weeks, no relief, in fact hives were worse than just taking claritin twice a day, plus I was having mood swings, lethargic, depressed...etc...the cure was worse than the disease basically, Also, in the meantime I have still been having severe abdominal pains.  I went off the drug cocktail the second allergist put me on and went back to taking the claritin twice a day.  I also went in to see a Gastroenteroligist about my stomach pains, I had my gallbladder removed about a year and a half ago in 2006, so they new it wasn't that.  My GI wanted me to have an ultrasound down, came back negative, I had a MRI (MRCP) of the abdominal cavity, nothing in the results, blood work because my liver numbers have been elevated, nothing positive there.  Now he wants me to have an endoscopy and colonoscopy to check for ulcers in a few days.  I have been doing some research and I have found some info on websites showing a link between H. Pylori and hives.  My stomach pain symptoms seem to match those of H. Pylori and I get hives.  My GI said that they will do a biopsy in my stomach to check for H. Pylori.  I'm hoping this is the underlying reason for my hives.  That would be awesome to finally solve this...but I've had my hopes before...If this doesn't not work or I don't come back posititve for H. Pylori, I will look into the Candida possibility..Hyon let me know how the after treatment of H. Pylori is working for you and your hives...
I've always had some stomach problems. it'd hurt after i eat sometimes and i dont always use the bathroom reugularly. i am surprised the prednisone did not work for you.  i had to use prednisone for 3months because my hives could not be controled by antihistamines.  it's weird because antihistamines work really for for my nasal and eye allergy symptoms but did nothing for my hives.  actually, deep down i feel like when i used antihistamines it made my hives worse because my typical allergy symptoms could not come out as sneezes so it came out as hives. i know it's crazy, but my hives were extremely mild until i took zyrtec. that's when i had to go on predisone. as for the h. pylori.  I've seen improvements and really believed that it was the reason for my hives.  i've managed to come off of prednisone once i completed the treatment. however, over the weekend i had a pretty mild break out. but a break out nonetheless. so i dont know what to think right now. it's still no where it used to be in the past several months. there were days i could not even leave the house.  this morning i have a few just around my knuckles and they do not bother me at all. you can barely tell unless u're "looking" for them. i know i'm doing spontaneously did better after antibiotics for a tooth removal and another jump in improvement since h. pylori treatment. if you were traveled abroad you have a good chance of having this bacteria. and most ulcers are actually caused by it. i strongly recommend a quick blood test. hopefully my body is just adjusting and recover. not sure how affective the h. pylori treatment is. i'm sure it works in 99% or whatever cases. but i read somewhere that if the hives don't get resolved after it, it's possible the bacteria is persistent. but then there are studies that say they're not related at all.....
Thank you all for your support and comments. I see my doc on Thursday, and have written down all and everything you all said. She had given me atarax, and I swear things got worse (if that is even possible) with it. I have been taking claritan once a day since the breakout in 97 to 2000. I still take it - can't hurt I suppose. Thank you about the quercetin - don't know about these natural treatments, but again, I am going to ask,. Also, the h. phylori -- I just read about it, and actually get some "heartburn" lately - hmmmm, could that be? I also read the only way to diagnose this is through an endoscopy - yikes!

I will keep you all posted as to what I find out, and any suggestions my doc has. She is the best and I trust her totally. I also have a GI doc already (colonoscopies), so if this is needed, I also have someone I trust.

Thank you all again for your support. Not sure if I feel better or worse, hearing some other horror stories - the running its course thing is tough when you have to go to work looking like someone beat you up, or you look like you can carry your wardrobe under your eyes, and the hot weather is not at all helpful... sigh...............................

Hope the rest of you hang in there, and let's continue to share info!
"Tryingtostaysane" As far as the H. Pylori goes, I think they may be able to diagnose it through breath tests and various other blood tests.  I just think the endoscopy biopsy from your stomach directly is pretty much the best way to diagnose it.  I just happen to be getting a endoscopy and colonoscopy (Yay!!! Can't Wait!!!) here on the 16th of August due to stomach problems that are possibly related or unrelated to the hives and they said that since they are already in the stomach they might as well get a biopsy of my stomach lining to see if H. Pylori is present...

"Tryingtostaysane" you say that you are taking Claritin once a day, has the Claritin lost its effectiveness at all for you...I have been taking it since 2001 with a few breaks of use here and there, but just last November 2006, the claritin(generic) seem to be less effective.  I began taking one Claritin pill twice a day, about every 12 hours.  This seemed to help at first but in the last month this has even seemed to lose its effectiveness...

I'm going to wait till after the endoscopy/colonoscopy results and the H. Pylori diagnosis to see if this comes back positive or not to before I go looking for another NON-SEDATIVE antihistamine...either prescription or non-prescription...I want to emphasize non-sedative because I can't handle being drugged all day from taking benadryl or other drugs that cause drowsiness...I get in a funk and my quality of life goes down...in my belief, in this case, the cure is worse than the disease...

Does anyone have any suggestions for Non-sedative prescription or non-prescription medication that seems to have worked for them in the past or present, besides the one's I have listed below...

So far I've taken the following medications at some point in time either singularly or in drug cocktails to treat the hives, only claritin has seemed to be the most effective:

Generic Claritin (loratadine) 10mg
Zantac (ranitidine) ?mg
Allegra (fexofenadine) 180 mg and 300mg
Atarax/Vistaril (hydroxyzine) ?mg
Sinequan/Adapin (doxepin) 10mg
Generic Benadryl (diphenhydramine) up to four-six standard capsules in a day

Again, if anyone has taken or is taking something that seems to be working that is non-sedative/drowsy and seems to get rid of the hives or atleast suppresses them, please let me know...I know everyones body works differently so a drug that worked for you may not work for me but atleast it is worth a shot...If it is prescription I will mention it too my family doctor or too my allergist to get it prescribed...

Thanks,

BTW...Has anyone here ever been able to attribute their chronic hives to dogs?  I did get a dog back in August of 2006 and the hives started to come back in full force(like they did when I was in my teenage years), overcoming the claritin back in November/December of 2006.  Have had them since, plus I got another dog in May of 2007.  So this is another possibility that I can look into while troubleshooting this problem...
well i've had a cat for a long while before i got my first outbreak. and when i got my first out break i was actually away from my cat. i am allergic to cats and dogs as well but around them alot. haven't noticed any difference in symptoms when i'm around them or not around them. my allergist says it's extremely hard to get hives from inhalent allergies (that's what i have for animals). but i swear i get more hives every time they cut grass. sitting on them and touching them doesn't do anything but when someone cuts grass or especially weed i get big wheals. but they disappear as soon as i get away from them. so i dont think it's related to my regular hives that i been getting. i honestly believe this is internal. my doc tells me the condition itself is a autoimmune disease but i really think it's because of an underlying condition.

as i mentioned above, after h. pylori treatment i saw an great improvement. then i had a minor set back but i realized i got my very first yeast infection. it's because of the antibiotics i was on. so i took probiotics for three days and now i'm back to good. i've had one small one today but that's it. hopefully this trend will continue. i think in my particular case i've had a major inbalance in my intestine and made my immune system go crazy.

Omahaan7368
try quercetin. it's supposed to be a natural antihistamine and u can take a pretty hefty dose. it didn't work for me but antihistamines dont work on me period. this is not an ideal solution but u can try a very very small dose to prednisone. i was on 5 to 2.5mg of prednisone and that worked pretty decent. i didn't even gain any weight like some complain. but i think those ppl took a pretty high dose. talk to your doctor. as long as u're under 10mg the consequences are very minor.

I see the list is getting longer, sorry to see, I have hives on the surface and deep inside.
I have finished DR Hulda Clarks Book On Healing Cancer, believe me she has done her homework
This lady has found the Cause of all Cancer, Aids, Diabetes, and she calls these so called genetic diseases, she tell you what causes cancer, and many other problems, we are full of parasites all of us, these parasites urinate and defecate inside of us, they eat the very best of our food and supplements that we take, we get the leftovers, she has written six or eight books, in many languages, on healing advanced Cancer, healing aids, healing cancer.
She says usually most younger people are not bothered much, by these parasites until they build up in your system until they start causing problems, like hives, allergies and many more problems.
We must not eat the foods with certain acids in them, that cause our different organs to slough off, one you get three or more organs sloughing off, they bump into each other and get stuck, now you have the nucleus of a cancer.  We also must kill the parasites, with herbs, and not feed them there food.
If you want to live her books are a must read, at least one of them.
I have been getting all the products together to kill the parasites, stop feeding them.
I can be strong enough, this is a must read if you want to be in good health.
God bless you all.  I pray that all fine your way clear of this horrible plague
Thanks Omahaan7368 for your comments and support - good luck with your tests! Please let us know how you make out. We can only hope that one or all of us gets through this with answers.

I am seeing the doc this morning, and have printed the info about the h. Pylori - I saw where they can do a blood test (thank goodness). I'm not holding too much hope, but you never know. I've been taking the claritan for years - since the last outbreak. It's just part of the routine now, and maybe it has lost its effectiveness and I may have become immune as you suggest. I am also going to ask her about everything everyone here has mentioned - the list is quite long, and I believe that I took a lot of it last go round, but you are right. Our bodies work differently, and now that it's years later, I'm about game for anything - even walking around fuzzy headed, if I'm not scratching my skin off. This is getting very tiring lately, especially with the heat (I'm in Colorado and it's been very hot lately).

When this happened the last time, I was tested for everything under the sun by an allergist, so for me, pets are not an issue, or any other allergens (damn!), but it could be an issue for some....

One other thing - the thyroid has been also linked with hives. Last time, they put me on different doses trying to use synthroid to see if that worked. The dosage changed recently, so I am going to ask her about this since it was mentioned with the h. pylori. You might also check this out if you haven't already (can't hurt, yes?)

Has anyone figured out anything to stop the itching? The witch hazel did not work long term - just for a very quick period. I tried cornstarch - pretty funny actually, it was a paste when I put it on, then it dried and I flaked all over my house. Every OTC itch stuff says you cannot put it on open "wounds" - well that lets me out, so  does anyone use anything that helps and works?

I will let you know if I find out anything more this morning - I'm armed with a list - let's all keep our collective fingers crossed!
I plan to fast this weekend to see if I can get rid of the Hives. I plan to only drink water and meditate. Crazy as it sound but I am desperate and willing to do anything to get rid of the HIVES.
I have found out several things that supposedly cause hives, stress, Being over ran with Candida or yeast infection, can be caused by antibiotics.   Dr Hulda Clark she mentions just about every thing you can think of, and the causes are from laundry bleach, most water districs use laundry bleach in our water, instead of NSF bleach which is food grade, dyes in our food and clothing, salmonella,
streptococcus, staphylococcus, all these and much more, come from our food, she says that all these can be removed from the body, the toxins poisions and polution that build up in our bodies, when your liver can no longer take care of all the poision, it then sends it to the limph system, when the lymph system can no longer handle it then it comes out of your skin, I think our systems are so full of poision it is coming out in the form of hives.  Do a parasite clense, remove all the problems, by her menu and I think we will all be healed.
She says that we have wheel bearing grease and motor oil, not by mistake in our kidney and liver, we must remove it, I am taking DMSO 1/4 tea each morning in a half glass water, to remove the grease and oil.
Then on with the cleanse, perasite, liver, kidney, colen, then I will be a new man.
I am tire of this itching, mine started up again two days ago.
Write me if you need help.  r l e e h 2 0 0 1 at a o l dot c o m maybe that will work take out the spaces.
I have had chronic hives (whelps galore!) for sometime.  My sister read about a "soothing agent" to help when the breakouts occur. "HYDROGINE PEROXIDE".  Amazing.  Put it on a paper towl and wipe on inflamed area.  I have tried everything on God's earth. This seems to help.  Good luck! Temporary relief.
Thank you so much! That is one thing I have not tried yet, but will this evening.....

For the others, I had the test for h. pylori, but (in the interim) the doc suggested Singulair once a day and zantac twice a day - she says that the latter is an H2 blocker... I didn't see this on anyone's lists, so you might try it out. I went over all the other drugs with her, and I've had most of them already, so I will do this for a month and see. In the meantime, it will be interesting to see if the h. pylori test comes up positive.

Wishing you all a good and itchless weekend!
so rleeh2001 is constantly posting about this Dr Hulda Clark. in fact he has sent me emails about this "holistic Dr". the email address i posted wasn't even intended for him but for someone else. I didn't really think anything of it until now..he basically posts the exact same post of this special doctor every once in awhile...basically an advertisement. I am very saddened and angered because we are vulnerable to this type of scam. i took the liberty to google this doctor and found numerous posts on her bogus claims. even a court case. it's a little hard to find them through all her advertisments that pop up.  i am all for natural ways to cure and treat diseases. i am of asian background and grew up on herbal medicine and acupuncture. when i had a very bad twisted ankle i went to see an acupunturist, not a doctor. i know all about natural solutions. but this is BULL ****. please don't waste your money and time on this Dr Hulda Clark. she doesn't even have a legitimate medical degree. if you really want a natural remedie, see a local, well recognized natural healer specialist that's not going to charge you an arm and a leg. A real legitimate healer is not going to charge their patients hundreds and thousands of dollars for even just an interview. it's sad that this supposed doctor uses people's weaknesses and scams them by twisting real concerns. yes, parasites can cause bad things, yes bacteria can cause bad things. i've even had h. pylori and has been treated for it. if her claims are true, shouldn't there be more chronic hives in 3rd world countries? shouldn't it be more common in asia? it is not. chronic hives affect people in all regions at about the same rate. and hasn't changed in many years. there should be a change in trend if it really is caused by parasites in our water and pollution. i am very pissed off that someone is posting these things hoping someone would hook on and pay hard earned money.

so everyone, please find a reliable and legitimate healer.
Hey I did the same yesterday hyon.. i did a little searching myself and came across  a very interesting website about her! Quackwatch had alot to say about her, in a not nice way..  so I am glad i did some research before falling into this ****!  People tend to become a little desperate when trying to get rid of there chronic conditions, so i guess they will try anything!
Thanks for bringing it to everyones attention!  
Hit the button too soon. I did not want to say anything, since everyone has their beliefs, but I too thought this person was advertising way too much for this quack. I just ignore people like that, but I am also afraid that people will take this seriously.

So, thank you for pointing this out, and rleeh2001 - keep the hell off this site. It is meant for people with REAL issues and problems. We don't need you and your advertising ****! Do you make money off of everyone who falls for this?????? Stay away from us!
In case you don't know it I probably know more about these things, than any of the doctors that any of you have gone to.  I have been studying these things for 25 years.
If you hear anything bad about this woman, it is disinformation, on individuals parts or the government
they don't want you to find out the truth, about health and how to stay well without expensive doctors
treating the symptoms instead of the cause.
I am a concerned person just like you, I also have hives, I can show you the hospital bill to prove it.
$28,000.00 right now.
I will guarantee you I have no ties to Dr Hulda Clark, I bought her book and read it, like I have many more, I'll bet you that you haven't read one book on health, vitamins minerals, supplements, alternative Doctors.
I have read for years of different people who has come up with cures for Cancer, Jason Winters he had cancer, the doctors gave up on him, so he started to do research, all over the world, even in the bible, put his knowledge together and started taking the products, he cured him self, when he was in the cancer ward in the hospital, after a radiation treatment, he was burned up, he got the idea to put on vitamin E oil, in a couple of days his burns were healed, he told the doctors of his find, they told him don't tell anyone about this, so he told everybody.
When he packaged his cure for cancer and wrote a book, he went to doctors, they told him to leave it alone, we are making billions of dollars every year on cancer treatment, and cancer research, they even printed another book to discredit him, with his family photo's, they put in bogus information, to discredit him and threatened his wife kids and parents lives, told him they would kill them, he had to go into hiding to save his familles lives.
Several people have come up with cures for Cancer probably Aids and what ever, when the word gets out, they take his or her medical license, and run them out of the country.
That is why if there is a cure for anything you must go outside of the country to get the cure.
I will guarantee you my only intention was to give you all information that will help you with your hives, cancer aids, diabetes, and much more.
Unless you have a good doctor that went to the other side, I am speaking of alternative medicine, like vitamins proper nutrition, and the like you are going to suffer, from poor health and an early death when it could have been avoided.
I don't care what Dr Hulda Clarks background is she is real and has all the answers, if you don't want to listen, it is your funeral, like they say you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
God bless you all.  I pray and hope for everyone to fine your cure, and open your mind to the truth.
If you really want to get your eyes opened to what is going on get and read Dr Leonard Horowitz Healing Celebrations
books on the truth.  
All those drugs you are taking will kill you, don't you know the side effects, most are worse than what you taking them for.
They do not have to be Dr's to know what they are talking about.
If you think Dr Hulda Clark is a quack, you better get your head out of the sand, read and learn before you start badmouthing people, when you don't know what your talking about.
In case you don't know it if there is anybody out there doing good, goggle them and you will find several that say there quacks, disinformation it goes on all the time.
If someone is badmouthing them it is a good chance they are good and the person doing the bad mouthing has an ax to grind.
I come on here just like you to find answers, to my hive problems, every time I found something good, that might help, I try to share it with you to make it a little better for you.
I have spent 25 years studying and reading books, not to just help myself, but to help my brothers and sisters.
It is very obvious that the doctors and hospitals don't have the answers, just read the rest on here, some people have been to fifteen doctors, I am sure if you added them all together, it would add up to 150 doctors, they don't have the answers, they are all doing the same thing, prescribing the same medications, that don't help anything nor do they find the answers.
But they are spending a lot of our money for what? OOO nothing except spending our money.
I have found two other real doctors, if you want to talk to them, they will tell you the same a s Dr Clark, no they are doctors of 28 years, that closed there doors to the public, they work off the computer and 800 numbers, they claim they will cure anybody of any disease, they don't even need to see you in person.  I am sure you would call them quacks also.  Real Doctors and RX is not the answer to your problems, it is your diet, you exercise, your vitamins, proper sleep.
Sorry I didn't get on here to belittle anyone, it just upsets me that you would think that I am working for anyone, I am on disability, I am to spiritual for that kind of garbage.  God Bless You All
Some day you will see that every word I spoke to you is the Gods truth.
IF your claims are true, why do you still have hives?  Why are you still on this site, copying and pasting the same mumble jumble about this doctor? if she really is legitimate, why does she charge so  much?  I did GOOGGLE her, and that's how i found out that she's a QUACK. there was even a email posted about a cancer patient to went to visit her and DIED. the things that were "supporting" her on google were bunch of advertisments and websites that sell her nonsense.

of course everyone knows how important diet, exercise, vitamines, and proper sleep is. it doesn't take you or a crazy doctor to point that out.  You can believe and purchase her things if you want to, but don't false advertise people on this post. she is not legitimate and certainly not out there to heal people but to seperate people from their MONEY!  you certainly have not been healed by her.  I am so sick of people talking about government consipracy against people who can CURE diseases.  If that's the case, then we wouldn't even have researches, we wouldn't even have generic medicines! because that helps the consumers.  Of course i get irritated that the pharmacy industry makes hecka money off of meds, but if they found a cure for hives, I'm sure they can sell it for a lot more.  I'd pay a lot of money for it. The point is, this crazy doctor takes common sense, twists it, then sells it off to desperate sick people.

but i dont have to tell you guys this. Do your own research and make the choice for yourself.
Good job on pointing out this con...there is another one out there that you should all be aware of as well...

Dr. Walt Stoll, MD and Jan DeCourtney, C.M.T...he claims to have the cure for everything that is considered idiopathic...what his plan boils down to is this...eat healthy, duh!!! and release you stress, Double Duh!!!

They (Walt Stoll) package this with a nice marketing scheme and basically sell you common sense...I purchased there book "Recapture Your Health" and did not get anything from it...he even responded to a few bulletins that I posted...The vibe I got from the site after reading a majority of his responses to others posts as well as my own is that he tries to bully you into believing that traditional Western medicine is doing it all wrong and that his way is the best, buy all his books and other various products and the secrets will be revealed to you...he can come off as an real A**hole,  I know doctors can be arrogant, but this was above and beyond...What a crock of ****!!!

He told me to go see a clinical ecologist to figure out what is poisioning my body, Dr. Stoll said that they are better than Allergist...I contacted a website he recommended and the website said the nearest Clinical Ecologist to me was some doctor that worked downtown...when I did a little research on this doctor I found out that he is an Ear, Nose, and Throat (ENT) specialist by day but a Clinical Ecologist by night...he was the only one certified in there program in the Omaha region...I never did go see him...when I wondered if Medical Insurance would cover this...I talked to a few doctors, some friends that are in the medical profession, and even contacted my insurance company and they all had no idea what field of medicine this was...Clnical Ecology??? What a joke, even these labs that people recommend including Dr. Stoll, Genova Labs, after doing some research on the internet are under scrutiny for some of there practices...

Hope this helps to you all...just reporting on my own experiences with this holistic approach...I'm sure this program/lifestyle has its own merits...but for me it was too much effort and expensive to balance this type of lifestyle with work, school, and various other things in my life...
I've got to stop hitting the enter button, before I post - jeez, what a jerk I am.

No offense against your beliefs, rleeh2001, but that is a good question - why aren't you "cured"? You go on believing what you will, but please stop preaching here! Thanks to all who looked these people up. Yes, diet, exercise, stress - DUH!

I heard from my doc on Friday (a real MD) that I did not have, nor ever had, h. pylori - don't know what that test cost, but it was a long-shot worth taking. I have been taking the singulair and zantac, and for whatever reason, have been a bit better the last couple of days. Now, I'm back at work today, and we'll see how the stress figures into this. And, just for the record, I have tried every non-western medicine known - to no good end (acupuncture, cranial sacral, herbs, hypnosis). And, yes, it becomes very expensive with these programs that are not covered by insurance. The only thing I am doing now, is listening to some tapes about stress and visualization. Cheap and can't hurt a thing!

Unfortunately, I will just now look at things a day at a time - good day, itchy/horrible day. I don't think there is anything else out there to try - other than the praying/reading/giving lots of money to frauds........ And, thank goodness for this site - it has helped me to cope, knowing there is such support from other sufferers. Bummer that we even need this!

Please note that if you want to try the singulair, my doc said it was expensive, so see if you can get a sample from your own doc (she gave me 9 weeks' worth to try).
tryingtostaysane - your test for h pylori came back negative? well it shouldn't cost you anything. mine didn't. insurance covers most lab tests.  I've done a lot of tests and have not been charged for it yet. something like h. pylori certainly should be covered. i have also tried acupuncture with  no success.  i was tempted to try chinese herbal medicine. but lately since my h. pylori treatment i'm doing much better. been med free for almost a month. i still get some hives and feel "itchiness" on my eyes, hands, and lips. the ones on my eyes get the most itchy. luckily they're not deep enough to cause angiodema.

omahaan - i have also read the posts with dr. stoll or whatever his name is and he is really full of ****! every time he answers someone's post at the end he's like "read by book blah blah". it's funny how because of freedom of speech these ppl can go around and say anything. until they cross the line.

I really did not want to believe my allergist that this thing will run its course. and today i do and i dont at the same time. but he offers me free meds all the time and always recommends generic meds. he also has experience with having hives himself. i do think some people's hives are really caused by something being wrong internally. it's worth a try to look into some things that aren't going to break the bank.  I stopped by Super Supplements a couple of times and picked up some stuff. they're prices are very reasonable.  not sure how everyone's insurance is, but you can try and see if it will cover some type of chinese herbal medicine. but it will not cover if you tell them "hives". try looking into just overall body balance, fatigue, and immune system. my mom is taking chinese herbal medicine right now for overall health and body ach and her insurance is covering it.

the most effective and cheapest treatment i've tried so far is probiotics. i took theralac and now i'm trying the powder kind from just a regular supplement store. it cost me $14 for a 2month supply. even if it wasn't for the hives, it helps me with the bathroom dept. hahah. but i suggest the pill kind. the powder really doesnt taste good.
hyon, yes, my doc called me the next day with the results - good I guess in a way. I have funky insurance these days, so I may have to put the cost toward my ridiculous deductible, but it was worth it to try. I'm glad you're feeling better with the the treatment. Mine seem to be a bit better (I'm afraid to even write this) with the singulair and zantac - how weird is that? It could also be the #$&*# course is running - perhaps to the end? I can only hope, but they are much better than they were. I'm not completely covered each day, and some of my skin is able to heal without me tearing at it.

The allergist I went to last time had nothing to offer, so I think I'll hold with the stuff I'm taking. I'm also taking fish oil (and other natural vitamins/minerals) recommended at a vitamin store, that my doc said wouldn't hurt. As you said, even if these don't help the hives, it can help in other "departments" - yes? We also discussed the prednisone again, and both decided not to do it this time - have you stopped that now?

My doc has also given me free meds, which is why I wanted people to know about the cost of singulair. Also, wanted to tell Omahaan7368 as they asked about non-sedative antihistimines.

Wishing you all an itchless day!
Hello... glad to have found this site and find out I'm not crazy afterall... I have had sudden onset of Cholinergic Hives.. which is well into week 3...an ironic and very unfortunate affliction since I live in Florida  in an un air conditioned historic home and manage a Garden Center... ACK!  I am exposed to heat 24/7... What I can't figure out is why all of a sudden this afflicted me... I have lived this way for over 10 years...  what in the devils name could DO this to me and SO suddenly?

Nothing in my household has changed... soaps, food, , you know the drill... I have tried the OTC antihistamines, they  are NOT agreeable w me... so much so that I am avoiding them now...have been using alot of what is mentioned here minus the scrip stuff.... Apis, Rhus Tox, Urtica urens, cold showers, I ce packs, Oatmeal...started on Green Tea and Quercitine yesterday... no real, REAL relief... a few brief hours early today... and just as I thought... OH yippeee... it's working... I had a massive break out all over the back and torso... have been miserable all day...

What is disappointing is that I find  none of us... are getting any long lasting relief, let alone a cure... I have had few itchless moments these last 3 weeks and am  miserably beside myself... and wondering if this will be a curse for a very, very long time... ( 3 weeks is already too long)  the mental frustration, lack of sleep (except for the nights I did take antihistamine) and the fear of not being able to contine my beloved line of work is wearing me down as much as the itching...

Query to the poster, Woody is it?   who tried the Quercitine... how long did you use it? I was very hopeful that it would be the product that relieved me once and for all, and bought it yesterday before I finished reading all of the posts today... I now see you didn't think it worked for you...  knowing how long you tried it would be helpful... ummm... skimming back over the posts it appears you used it for 5 days??? is that correct? if so, has any one else used Quesrcitine for a longer period with relief and if you got relief how long did it take?  doesn't appear that anyone has, just thought I'd ask...

anyhoo... glad to find out I'm not nuts... and going to take the whole bottle of Quercitine, been drinking Green Tea til it comes out my ears... if I hit on anything that really seems to work, I'll let ya'll know...  hope you'll do the same...

Hi littlemoon,

Sorry you had to find this site. It's only 2% of the population that finds out why we are suffering from the god-awful thing (you think we have really bad karma somewhere?)... I don't even want to tell you how long the last bout lasted 7 years ago, and why now again?

No rhyme or reason. Still can't find anything to relieve the itching - have you tried oatmeal baths? Some people say that works for them.

Just know that you are not alone, and if you wear light clothing (in FL especially), it seems to help a bit, except for the blood stains that come through from scratching. Don't give up, and know that, unfortunately, there are many of us out there. Even if it's for moral support!

Hang in there and let us know if we can help, or if you find something.
hey :)
I still take Quercetin.. but i don't think it had much effect because i only took 500milligrams twice a day... i just read in my extraordinary cures book that you should take it at least 4 times a day.  So i only have a couple left so i will be trying it again.  I started Benadryl yesterday and that is pretty hopeless!  I'm considering buying Hisatrix i found online.  I just worry there is an underlying condition i don't know about.. and that scares me!  I'm Australian and living in the U.S and being a pre-exisiting condition before i came here, I'm most definitely sure my travel insurance won't cover it.  I never knew how complicated chronic hives was before i left.  My doctor at the time said basically it will run its course... well its course has been one year now and I'm pretty much at my wits end!!  I may just have to wait until i do a trip back to Australia to find out exactly whats going on... as its far too expensive here for me to even consider doing all the tests!!!  It can be very depressing and annoying at times... but what can ya do hey :(
But I think you should give Quercetin a go, I will be again, at a higher dose!
Fingers crossed it will help :)
Hey ya'll...thanks for the responses... I too am so sorry I had to go searching for any site like this tryingtostaysane... but since I did, am glad to have found this forum... ya'll seem like a pretty cool bunch... I appreciate how everyone is generous in sharing...

I had my first itch free day today and have knocked on wood and prayed all day that this will last...

Regarding remedies...at first I intended to try one thing at a time to see what, if anything on it's own would provide relief... but prompltly pitched that idea out the window... he;;s bells I don't care what works on its own at this point, I just want SOMETHING/ANYTHING to work... so what I did yesterday was combine it ALL... I took 2@ rhus tox, and urtica urens pilules, 2 /800mg Quercetin 3 times, drank half a gallon of Green Tea, stopped at the drug store for Aveeno Colloidal Oatmeal Powder and Aveeno Colloidal Oatmeal Lotion, soaked in oatmeal, added some of the powder to a small hand spray bottle for portability ( just in case I was up in the night) and took a Lortadine /10mg  just before bed. The Lortadine induced COMA, so I slept thru the night and didn't have to spray myself down or get up to read email in the wee hours while scratching... can we say halleluja honey!???

Did the same routine today... will be swallowing a Lortadine before another hour passes and will pray for the same results tomorrow and forevermore...

I have to say I cringe at the thought or possibility that this itch free day was a fluke somehow...

I also cringe when I think how much money so many of you have spent on Dr.s and ineffective or harmful prescriptions, testing and so on. It's shameful really what the financial burdens are on folks to get even marginal medical attention. And I use the word "attention" loosely, leaving out the word care intentionally, because there are SO few Dr.s who care... Most Americans don't get medical Care... they get indifferent attention motivated by money and the "easy" (for the DR) fix of expensive drugs... ACK!!! but I'll refrain from further soap box ranting....

Woody, don't worry I do intend to keep up with the Quercetin, and everything else... with high hopes that I hit on a combo that relieves and hopefully cures... FYI, I read on the net that it takes 4 to 6 weeks for Quercetin to really have effect... so don't you give up either...

It will be interesting to see if this has a lasting effect... let's all hope and knock on wood... and if it does, maybe it will help someone else "out there"...

I'll be in touch and let you know how my combo is working...

Given the circumstances... Nice ta meet ya'll...
littlemoon

I'm glad you found this site, but sad that you are going through what we are all going through. I tried quercetin for about a month but did not notice any improvements.  I think for all of us our hives came on suddenly.  For me it came on for the first time when i traveled overseas. I think my immune system went crazy because i didn't rest well and drank the same night I arrived.  I have seen great improvement from probiotics and treating my wisdom tooth and my h. pylori treatment.  I still get some and they are actually itchier then before.  but it's not as humiliating to meet people.  I was forced to wear long sleeves, gloves and turtlenecks for three months when i had a major flare.  Yes, on top of having the condition, there are flare ups involved. Meaning it can get worse. i know it's really depressing.  I had it pretty mild and harmless until Feb 07.  Then had a major flare up until May.  Got my tooth treated and it greatly improved. Then had my h. pylori treated a month ago and have been able to stay off meds since then.

since u haven't had your hives that long i think you should consider going to see an allergist.  Do a little homework beforehand and find one with experience in chronic hives.  My doctor's personality is a little weird but he has great experience and knowledge.  I really hope quercetin works for you.  Good luck.
I was just doing a little reading about acidity in the body and what foods to eat to lower your acidity.  It listed the symptoms of excess acidity and I had about 6 of them.  Has anybody else done research about there acidity levels in there body?  Is there a blood test to find out this information?
Any information would be appreciated :)
Hi there, i've been reading all of your comments, also on a wild search for a cure for this condition. im a 21 yo male, i've had this condition since may this year and its ruining my life. i dont think theres been more than a day or since my diagnosis that i havent taken an antihistamine tablet. Its really gutting having to rely on medication, constantly paranoid about checking for flare ups or patches of red.

I've tried the probiotics for a few days now, but I can't really notice the change without coming off the medication which I'm too afraid to do. It's not like my flare ups are localised, it literally covers my entire body, even my cheeks and forehead which makes it difficult to conceal from public.

I find taking a heavy dosage of vitamin C a day really helps and prolonges the flareups for a few hours, exercising as well seems to help as my hives tend to go away when I sweat.

It just baffles me how doctors and medical science hasnt somehow stumbled upon a cure for this skin disorder.

I would be greatful if somebody could explain the autoimmune explanation for the disorder as I am aware there are a few other methods that can trigger the hives, however I was told that the autoimmune was the reason for my hives... and I can't seem to make sense of anything I read about it.

BTW: Has anybody gotten really sick? had any colds since having hives? if it's to do with the immune system doing something it shouldn't be doing, then surely getting some sort of cold or virus could kick it back to normal??? I could be going insane...
Morning all,

Woody, I believe the reason my doc gave me the 2x/day zantac is about the acidity in the body. I have been (afraid to say) a bit better - my skin is healing enough that I don't need to cover up in this horrible heat, but still break out when I get home from work. So much for the stress factor, huh?  There is just no rhyme or reason and as I already said, this is not the first time for me, so I know about the "running its course" sigh......................................

But, interestingly, zantac, or the generic ranitidine is an H2 blocker. Acids in the stomach are stimulated by histamines. That's what we've all tried are different anti-histamines, much to our dismay of not working. You may check online about H2 blockers, and this is such a simple thing to take - and the side effects are no heartburn! :) I've been taking 1-2 of these a day, along with the singulair, which I don't know is helping, but I promised my doc I would try it for a month - who knows, maybe the combination?  I'll keep you posted when I stop the singulair.

Interesting that you should bring up the acidity in the stomach! Check it out woody21.

Hope you're also still doing a bit better littlemoon and the FL heat isn't knocking you silly!

If anyone else tries the zantac thing, please let me know what you think, and also, check out H2 blockers online.
the whole autoimmune thing really  irritates me because it doesn't make any sense. it's one thing that your immune attacks your joints and all but causing hives which is an allergy symptom? i mean it's ridiculous isn't it? my allergist didn't explain it in too much detail, but basically your immune system is SO GOOD  that it's attacking your cells or something ****. which doesn't make sense.  i have actually gotten sick while having hives. i mean no one doesn't get sick for almost two yrs! (which is how long i've had it).  so since my h. pylori treatment my  hives are 10000X better. today i dont think i got any hives. i still get some regularly, but they disappear in a few hrs and they are barely noticeble. or maybe the hives have settled down? regardless i'm scared because in the two yrs i've had it, i had two major flares...the intial break out and from feb-may. which is why i even went to the doctors. to come to think of it..i had my second major flare right after getting over a MAJOR flu..i mean i was out for almost a week because i couldn't get out of bed. even after that i was sick for weeks.from what i read...:"autoimmune" hives tend to start after sickness as well...

i recommend doing intense probiotics for at least until you run out..then really taking care of yourself. i even cut out artificial sweeteners..no fake sugar stuff...some ppl are allergic to it.
Interesting, I have had a mild cold since being diagnosed. I'm pretty sure I got my hives from not treating a chest infection that I had for 2 months earlier this year. I think my immune system took a real beating during that period, and for it I tooka course of Amoxicillin (antibiotics) which didnt help much.

I'm not sure whether I would have h. pylori as I read up on this and Amoxicillin is generally used to treat that. I might book in to see a doc in the next few days, but I guess it's a possibility that I may have some sort of infection?

When you say intenset probiotics, how much do u recommend? I'm currently taking some Actimel, the daily dosage of that. I wasn't aware I could purchase a higher dosage... if so, how safe is that or what are the effects if any?...
I finally got the results back from my Endoscopy/Colonoscopy biopsies that were taken last week...again the reason for having the Endoscopy/Colonoscopy was due to stomach pains that I had been having since this May 2007, probably unrelated to the chronic hives...but none the less, I asked my doctor to check for H. Pylori and Celiac/Sprue disease while they were in me...

The results came back negative for both...the only thing the biopsies showed is that I have Moderate Chronic Gastritis of the stomach (great another Chronic condition!!! Haha) and they put me on some Protein Pump Inhibitors (i.e.-Prilosec) medication to stomach the production of stomach acid so the inflammation can go down, the Gastronenteroligist also said that I have a mild case of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)...he also said that he believes none of this is related to my chronic urticaria...

I was really hoping that I would test positive for H. Pylori and that I would get treatment for it and the hives would possibly go away...not so much...

At wits end...will head back to a new allergist to see if they can put me on a drug cocktail regimen that works and does not cause 1) drowsiness 2) depression 3) weight gain.  If there is even a medication out there that can meet these criteria?  If they can't then I will just remain taking my OTC Claritin 10mg (generic) from Walmart twice a day...to me if the medication causes any of the three things I mentioned above then "the cure is worse than the disease" so to say.  The Claritin keeps the hives somewhat at bay, does not completely eliminate them like they used to a few years back.  I still get them on my arms, butt and down back of legs, ankles, shins and calves but they are not as severe as the times that I do not take the medication...
H. pylori is very common outside of the U.S. and i grew up in Korea. so there was a good chance that i had it. which i did. u're right. amoxicillin is used to treat h. pylori. i took some for my wisdom tooth removal and improved and that's how i knew something inside me was wrong. if amoxicillin did not help, it might not be a bacterial infection. it could be a viral infection.

as for the probiotics, i'm not sure exactly how much is considered intense.  But when i bought mine (called theralac), the directions said for regular dosage it's 2X per week or daily for a month for intense treatment. Usually probiotics are pretty harmless even if you take a good amount. And you can purchase a higher dosage probiotic. in fact, too low and it doesn't do anything. the dosage should be in the billions and you have to also consider which bacteria. I saw an article in msn and that's how i picked theralac.
I've taken your advice onboard and gone and brought some probiotics in tablet form, pretty confused about what ones i should have brought as the ingredients of these tablets are not listed on ones i found on the internet...

I booked myself in for a colonic hydrotherapy session the other day and had the treatmet today. Amongst the advice I was given i was told that my liver seems to not be working well as my stool was a light yellowy colour. Therefore I need to improve liver health asap. I'm wondering wether the cause of my hives is to do with my liver not filtering out toxins properly and circulating it around the body... perhaps its something for us sufferers to check out??? Either way, large intestines are responsible to maintaing skin health and therefore hopefully see an improvement in the next few days.

Also my IBS should improve aswell... I'm thinking of getting tested for Candida and H Pylori anyway... does it take a long time for the doc to run tests do u know???
i think candida can be tested by just looking at samples of cells under the microscope. as for the h. pylori it was a blood test and i waited one week for the result. do you have history of traveling outside of U.S? like to Asia? if not then u're chances of having it are slim. i actually read a lot of testimonials about people find out they  have soemthing wrong with their liver or gullbladder. i think it's worth investigating the liver thing since they mentioned that to you. also try not to be angry and stay away from people that annoy you. i had a coworker that i had to ALWAYS work with and she drove me insane and when she started is about the time mine flared up. we still work together but we don't have to do projects together and i feel much better. i know she wasn't the source but she got me all twisted inside..u know what i mean?
haha thanks for the advice although i think it would be enarly impossible to eliminate all stress from ones life!

i use to travel a bit when i was younger, been to hong kong, australia etc but not for many years. I am hoping to see a doctor on tuesday so I'll get some tests done for infections.

I was going to ask u how ur body tolerates alcohol, if u drink? as i currently don't consume alcohol btu were wondering of the possible effects...

also, do u not take any form of antihistamine? if so, then it seems that pro-biotics are a near enough cure for this disease... or safest method of treatment.
i do drink alcohol. asian people are known to have alcohol intolernce and sometimes i turn bright red. I've always been that way.   for the most part alcohol doesn't seem to affect my hives.  I drink at least once a week and still my hives have managed to improve.  but i have heard some people can get hives from suddenly developing alcohol allergy.  but im guessing something like that would be obvious.  i also noticed before if i don't sleep well i get hives. not exactly long hrs of sleep but if i dont sleep deep enough.

it is impossible to eliminate stress. and stress doesn't make my hives worse..it's the anger. when i get angry and keep it inside all locked up. when my coworker says rude things that i think crosses the line and she's being a u know what i get all boiled up inside. i think it has something to do with it creating heat because my  hives are always hot.  when i had my very first hives all over my  hands, my hands felt like they were on fire. it never really itches though. just tingles and burns.

i do not take any antihistamines because it doesn't work for my hives at all. i do have real allergies that it works for but i dont like taking it because to some point i feel like it makes it worse. i know this sounds crazy but i think by taking antihistamines it makes the histamines attack my skin even more. the hives were pretty tolerable until i took zyrtec. an hr after i took it i had huge welts on my neck and hands. i guess that bad feeling stuck with me. occasional i take it when my nose and eyes drive me crazy from my cat. lately i haven't been taking my probiotics (the powder is just painful to take). i will get back on it once i buy the pill forms.

kensic, if u have good insurance you should really get a physical and get a good blood work for possible infections.  and get your liver and gullbladder checked.
i see, so antihistamines do not work for u at all? because they do for me, which is odd isnt it? I'm guessing not much medical knowledge is actually known of this disease if it can vary from person to person.

You see, I quit alcohol when i got this condition a while back and played it safe. i havent had a drink since!!! considering taking the chance, but don't want to cause myself the humiliation of having a break out when im in public. i too am asian and am beginning to accept that this is a sign that we were not built to drink heavily! what a way to learn a lesson tho!

probiotics seem to be working an absolute treat, its only been a few days and i've noticed that when i scratch my skin, the redness isnt so severe. which is a possible sign that my body's histamine levels are changing back again... slowly. not holding my breathe tho.

have ur hives completely gone now then? ur also very lucky that ur hives don't itch... cept tingle and burn. mine make me feel like im covered in insects!
ok i have been, yet again, doing some reading about hives.  there are different types of course.. mine are Dermographism, you can literally use your nail and scratch a line on your arm and a wheal will appear where you have scratched.  You could write you name if you wanted too!  Anyone have the same type?  i found a website you might want to have a look at :    http://www.dermnetnz.org/reactions/dermographism.html
at the bottom there is also other types of hives you can have a look into.  
also, has anyone tried Histarix treatment at all?  You can only get the formula and cream off the internet... so i am a little hesitent about buying it.

One last thing.. i had a reader invite me to a website called Imedix (invite only) if anyone would like an invite let me know.  I have 10 spots left.  You can look up any type of medical condition and you fill find all sorts of information on the site.
Let me know :)
Cheers
i feel you on the alcohol and asian thing. sometimes i can drink till the cows come home and sometimes i have a sip and i turn bright blotchy red! so that's how i know my  hives aren't related to alcohol. because it doesn't have a pattern. it's totally random on how my body responds to alcohol.

antihistamines do not work on my hives at all. they work for my nasal allergies but not for the hives. weird huh? my allergist says 1/3 of the hive suffers do not respond to antihistamines. and a 1/3 of that population do not respond to prednisone (luckily i did). in that case you can take various types of meds, including cyclosporine. luckily I was able to stay away from that.

my hives did itch once. they were on my legs. i scratched it so bad that it burned when anything touched that area (also had a hideous discoloration). that's when i told myself that i will not scratch it no matter what happens. and after that it never quite itched the same intensity.  i still get hives. just very little....for now i feel free and i feel like myself. but they can flare any time. it's like even when u're better u just can't trust it. because you never know what's going to happen tomorrow..or even tonight.

i'm glad u're seeing results fromt he probiotics. that can mean that maybe u have some bacterial infection?
Yes, you can draw all sorts of stuff on me! One scratch and it shows.... I would be interested in reading on that website - how could I be invited? Thank you for sharing this.

I've also heard about histarix and spoke with my doc - she said it would be a no go for me - just money wasted.... A lot of the stuff that we've all talked about has not worked, so I am sticking to the singulair and zantac - so far, I've had a couple of days with less spots and not as much itch.

Hyon, I'm happy that you are doing well. I've always had the itch and I have no will power to not scratch. So, I am a mess of scars.... Hope you continue to stay well.
ok, i need your email so i can send your the invite through imedix email :)  

well folks i had a bad experience with a antihistamine on Sunday afternoon.  i had been taking benadryl, which wasn't that great, so after that packet i thought i would try a different one.  so i ended up buying Tavist.  well... after 20 minutes of taking it, i was extremely unwell!!  nausea, sweating, nervous/anxious, pain in my upper stomach and sternum, surreal feelings... oh it was a nightmare!!  you ask yourself so many times.. should i go to the E.R or should i hold out!!  so i called my doctor and he said to hold out until 6pm, if it doesn't ease off i should go to the hospital.  so a few hours later i was doing ok, still not completely well, but better.  all night though i still had that pain in the sternum.. which drove me nuts.  i had trouble talking at times as i become out of breath.  so by monday morning i still had the pain so i went in and saw the doctor.  we ended up talking about the "Dermographism" type of hives.  anyway, she ended up prescribing me deoxpin.. said it has done wonders for people with this type of hives.  later i found out, after buying them and reading the ever so long "warning label" that they were actually antidepressants!  I was furious/upset.. what the hell is going on!!  so i searched that medication on the net.  they use this drug for depression, anxiety, panic disorders plus chronic hives.  the side effects were terrible.  excessive weight gain, suicidal thoughts, i couldn't go into the sunlight for too long... and the list went on... and on.. and on!  so i decided that isn't for me!!  
i'm still not feeling 100% and have a little pain still in my chest, but advil seems to help.  i do get seasonal asthma so she recommended that i take my inhalers each day.. i live in a high pollen area so alot of people's allergies flare up.  
Read my post from 08/08/07 to "tryingtostaysane"...I too was on doxepin and had very bad side affects.  I couldn't actually pin it down to just the doxepin since I was on a drug cocktail.  What doseage did the doctor have you try?
Hey.. the dosage the doctor gave me was 10mg twice a day.  the side effects to me are just to crazy for me to try.  may i ask, what side effects you had?
On the drug cocktail that my allergist had me on, which included the 10mg of doxepin to be taken right before bedtime, I felt very depressed or down.  I seemed out of it, like life was going on all around me but I was not partaking in it, people were having conversations around or with me and I didn't participate or couldn't focus on what they were saying.  I felt tired too and got very moody throughout the day.  My girlfriend definitely could notice a difference in my personality  I just didn't like the affects...my life was miserable

Again, I can't attribute it to just the doxepin as I was also taking hydroxyzine and Allegra at the same time...

I think it is a matter of determining if "the cure is worse than the disease" or not...I personally would deal with a lessened case of hives taking the claritin every day than deal with the affects of taking all of those other drugs (especially since the drug cocktail I was on didn't seem to be very effective, I still had hives just as bad, if not worse than just taking the claritin.)

Hope this helps...
Thanks for the help :)  Some of these drugs seem like they push you into depression/moods when they are supposed to help.. doesn't make sense to me.  Life has its ups and downs and I definately wouldn't be able to deal with those types of side effects.  I have read alot about people's experiences with doxepin and there was only one person that didn't have any!

I appreciate your response :)
Would like to have the invite to imedix.  I have been back to doc today because of severe weight gain (just what I need on top of the hives) and he has put me on Loratadine (Claritin) to see if they control the hives but stop the weight gain. Have also had blood test to determine if I have a thyroid problem.  This only started 9 months ago when I emigrated to New Zealand from England.  Does make me wonder if there is any connection - but can only find that NZ has low amounts of iodine in the soil and veg etc.    

This forum if a great deal of help though.
gidday all :)
if you would like an invite to imedix please email at  kwoodwar  @  twcny . rr . com
of course without all the spaces in the address.. can't post it otherwise.  Can your email subject title be Chronic Hives so i know its not junk mail, i tend to block all that stuff.
cheers :)
Hi folks- i've had chronic pressure urticaria since 1999 and I'd just throw out a few things i learned that have made living with this "fun" more bareable. 1. I totally cut out coffee and alcohol which was painful, but radically improved my symptoms.  switching to more natural "herbal" recreational drugs helped reduce my stress level and as a result has seemed to benefit my urticaria (or at least made me notice it less at night).  2. I've seen the discussion about quercetin but I'd make a pitch for this stuff called Allergy Season (AS) by Zand which has quercetin, bromelein and a number of other herbal ingredients in it.  We're definitely not their target audience but i've been on it for almost 5 years and when i use it along with 10 mg zyrtec they seem to work really well together and i notice a real improvement from when i just use the zyrtec.  I have even from time to time (during winter usually when the urticaria is calmer) gone off the zyrtec for a few weeks and just used the AS, but haven't been able to maintain that.  The AS isn't cheap- about $ 12 a bottle for 60  caplets, but i've tried a number of other brands with some of the same stuff and they don't seem to work- not sure why. I've had some friends try the AS for allergies and it worked great- others had no big effect so its not sure fire, but a few folks said it worked better than claratin for them.

thanks to everyone for the post- i've looked for a site like this from time to time for years.

You need to help your body to build up your immune system.The breathing exercises - pranayam is a holistic approach creating extra oxygen supply in the body and will slowly help with the side effects and then with the hives problem.Do the pranayam to see the benefits.Build up your timing slowly and after two weeks at the suggested duration you will start to notice benefits.
Bhastrika - Take a long deep breath into the lungs(chest not tummy) via the nose and then completely breathe out through the nose.Duration upto 5 minutes.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for upto 30 minutes twice a day.(Max 60 min/day) Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Anulom Vilom - Deep Breath-in through left nostril keeping right nostril closed
then - Breath-out through right nostril keeping left nostril closed
then -Deep Breath-in through right nostril keeping left nostril closed
then - Breath-out through left nostril keeping right nostril closed
and repeat this cycle for upto 30  minutes twice a day(maximum 60 min/day).
Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 times
----
Only by doing you will benefit and will feel good that you can do something to help the body.Copy and print this to master the technique.This is  simplified pranayam for everyone and you do not have to go to classes to learn. This is for life unlike short term classes where you do it in the class then stop when classes are over.  
Are you trying to say that using these breathing techniques will cure my hives, even when medications, diet change, lifestyle change have not helped?
very interesting hava.  i understand breathing techniques are extremely good for you.. self relaxation etc.. how does it all work though with hives?  i read a story a few days back about a lady who had chronic hives for 9 months.  when nothing seemed to help she tried natural remedies.. acupuncture being her choice.  she now is hives free.  here is her story : http://www.acupuncture.com/testimonials/hives.htm
do you know much about acupuncture at all hava?  would you recommend it?
Pranayam is a lifestyle change becuase you need to devote 2 hrs daily to help your body get better, and then half hour daily once you are better, for ever.This is like brushing your body's software(internal parts) daily as compared to brushing your teeth.
The extra oxygen builds more fighter cells in body.
I do not know enough about acupuncture.
Only by doing pranayam you will benefit. No cost in trying.
thank you.. i appreciate your help :)  definitely going to give it a try.  do you believe a natural internal cleanse would help too? like a detox program?
one more thing.. does anyone experience alot of heat when there hives flare up?  i find i get ALOT of heat around my neck, shoulders and upper back at times.  anyone experience this too?
Start doing the pranayam which will also start cleansing the body.
Write down all your symptoms and any other problems(including eyes-prescription numbers for each eye,dental,headache,hair,nose,ears etc) and then check/update  this list every few months.Note the dates of any changes /benefits you experience and you will notice how pranayam is helping the body.
I have enormous heat that radiates off of me wherever I have hives. You can almost heat a house it is so much. I have not gotten my email to you yet, but thank you. I still may do that so you can invite me to the website.

I am going to talk with a nutritionist today to ask about anything he can recommend. Went off the singulair and zantac for a week, and woke up this morning, scratching my skin off again - now it's all gone! Too weird....

Thank you hava, I, too will try the pranayam. Certainly cannot hurt!
please keep me informed on what your nutritionist says.   just send me an email for an invite, just make sure the subject heading is chronic hives just so i know its you :)

i too have that extreme heat.. its quite unbelievable isn't it!  i know exactly how you feel on that one!!
well stay in touch and let us know how things go.
take care :)
damn that enter key! The nutritionist recommended more fish oil (2 tabs twice a day - a bit much) and then L-glutamine 1000-1500mg/day (it's an amino acid). He began to talk about quercetin, but I told him about all our conversations, and I'm holding off. He also wanted me to keep a food journal (don't we all wish it was food?)... He is hoping I will eliminate wheat and corn for a couple of weeks - ok, that's been impossible... He was perplexed by my "situation" and called it extreme. DUH! Very sweet and wants to help. He also suggested rescue remedy for the stress - it's made of flowers I believe and I bought some to try, and he told me to research eyebright - haven't yet.

I am taking the supplements except for the quercetin, and I cannot give up the food - no willpower... After all this time, I know what it is not - food - but the supplements cannot hurt, so that's ok. I am going back in two weeks to see him. The beauty of this is that it is free. I don't know where you live, but he is part of Vitamin Cottage, and the supplements there are extremely reasonable.

I was clear all day yesterday, and after being home a while, my torso was totally covered and heat was radiating. I took a generic zantac, and within 1/2 hour it was clear. Don't know if it was a coincidence, but whatever cleared it, I'm all for! I'm still taking the loratadine daily, been for years. It's just too strange and I'm trying to go with the flow, but day-to-day, I don't know what I'll be dealing with.

At least with the winter coming, I can save on fuel bills! :) Woody21, how you are feeling? I'm always sending good vibes to all of you!!!!! Wishing you a good weekend!

Hope this is somewhat helpful to you (or anyone else). I'll keep you posted.....
glad to hear you went to the nutritionist.  hey you can't go wrong with fish oil!!  big steps in keeping a healthy system, they say your up 80% chance of heart conditions/cardiovascular when you take fish oil everyday.  i have used rescue remedy for years.. works wonders!!  great for stress and keeping you calm/able to cope.  
i have been feeling pretty good.  still taking chlor-trimeton everyday. one a day seems to be how it is.  i still get bad heat over my body.  my back, neck  gets the worst.. i could fry an egg on it somedays.  something feels like its changed since my bad episode with that tavist antihistamine.  my hives, when they appear, they kind of sting now, not so much itch.  its weird! i also read grape seed extract works as an natural antihistamine aswell.  yet again, i battle with another yeast infection..  such a pain!  can't to get some insurance so i can get those tests done!
keep me posted on how you are doing with all your natural remedies etc.  
cheers :)
i haven't checked on this site in awhile...and im sad to see the same names still...i am doing much better..but still get them daily. not enough to stop me from living my life..but enough to keep the FEAR in me!

i too get a lot of heat with hives.  it feels like they're going to explode. if zantac helps, i would think u have a good chance ur hives have something to do with food. maybe sugar or yeast or something?

woody21 - have you considered maybe getting the OTC yeast infection test? it tells u if it's a regular yeast infection or something more serious.  You should consider it if you dont have medical insurance..  I dont know where u live, but we have Planned Parenthood that does free paps (along with "other" tests) for people without insurance.  i had my first yeast infection after a h. pylori treatment and i couldn't believe how awful it was! i hope u feel better soon.
has anyone else experienced wheezing/breathing problems? I have been having a weird wheezing/coughing thing that goes on for about an hour, along with my eyes swelling and my face breaking out, then I drink a bunch of chamomile tea and inhale the steam, and it eventually subsides, except for my face.  Fun at work! The rest of my body seems to have calmed down a bit, but this has happened twice in the past week. Very scary! I have an appt with the doc this morning to talk about an inhaler or epi pen - I live in the mtns and if it got really bad, I'd be dead before any help arrived.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
Has anyone been tested for Celiac disease (autoimmune reaction to wheat gluten)?  My wife had many of the symptoms described above and was diagnosed with celiac disease about 7 years ago.  Many of those including terrible itching, irritable bowel and migraines have disappeared now that she is on a gluten free diet.
Yes, Wiliiam 43, I have been tested for Celiac/Sprue disease when I had an Endoscopy/Colonoscopy about a month and a half ago, they took a direct biopsy of my stomach lining.  I also was tested for H. Pylori and had a Comple Blood Count (CBC), Liver function blood test, and Thryoid function blood test.  All of these came back negative or normal for myself.  I know these problems have been associated with chronic hives but in my case it must be something different.  I've seen a new allergist here in Omaha, NE and she just put me on a new drug cocktail regimen that seems to be working...See previous postings by me above for background on this...This new regimen shouldn't have near the side effects that I experienced with the other drugs...This is what I'm on...

$40-Clarinex®-5mg (2x a day; one in the morning and one in the evening)
$40-Zyrtec®-10mg (1x a day; one in the evening with Clarinex)
$10-Sulfasalazine-500mg (also known as Azulfidine®) (2x a day; one in the morning with food and one in the evening with food; taken same time as Clarinex)
$10-Cyproheptadine hcl-4mg (also known as Periactin®) (1-4x a day; as needed; only when previous three medications have not worked and hives breakthrough) (I haven't had a need to take the Cyproheptadine/Periactin yet)

Although this is an expensive drug regimen, I paid $100 at Walgreens AFTER insurance because Clarinex® and Zyrtec® are still new and only come as name brand and not generic, these seem to be working though.  The Sulfasalazine-500mg can elevate Liver function numbers so I took a baseline blood test to establish my normal Liver numbers before medication and will need to get a blood test every month while taking Sulfasalazine-500mg to see how Liver numbers are being affected.  My allergist will increase dosage of Sulfasalazine as needed if not getting desired results.  I guess you can take up to 2grams or 2000mg of this stuff a day.  She says that she has had great results with the Sulfasalazine in the past so I have hope...Also, once the hives come under control, she will scale back my use of the other antihistamines, Clarinex and Zyrtec.  Like I said, the Cyproheptadine hcl-4mg/Periactin® is only to be taken as needed, almost as a last line of defense if the hives breakthrough the other medications.  Hope this info helps others.  Has anyone taken the above mentioned drugs from this post? Good experience or bad experience?  Would like to get some feedback.

Hi everyone, this is my first post.  Just read through ALL the previous posts and I must say that it's nice to find some other folks who have similar experiences with urticaria to mine.  I was first diagnosed with chronic idiopathic urticaria when I was 12.  My doctor started me on Seldane back then.  Next he added Tagament.  Then, I think Seldane was found to be causing some problems, so he moved me over to a new drug called Allegra, which I took twice a day.  I have been on Allegra since it was first released.  I actually have had 0 hives since I was young, but I would get them after about 36-48 hours w/o taking the Allegra.  About 8 months ago, the Allegra suddenly stopped working.  I was now only getting about 12 hours max on one 180mg pill.  I take one allegra 180 in the morning (I have hives head to toe) and within 2 hours, they subside and within 4 hours I don't have a hive on me.  About 12 hours after I took the Allegra, small red spots start to return.  I then take 25-50 mg Benadryl and generally get through to bed time.  Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and have to take another one.

Now, here's a point I wanted to ask everyone about.  My father actually has CIU as well.  He's had it since he was 10 (49 years in total).  He has been on everything under the sun for his hives, and has found Allegra to work best.  Does anyone else have a family member with hives?  My allergist/immunologist seemed to think that, although it sounds almost impossible, that there is no connection between my father having them and my having them.

So, in short

1) Does anyone have a family member with hives, and
2) Has anyone experienced a spontaneous stoppage in their hive meds working?

Thanks everyone for posting your experiences and I look forward to hearing from some of you!
Urticarian, to answer your two questions.

1) Does anyone have a family member with hives?  I don't have an immediate family member with hives nor have they ever had hives.  The closest relative to suffer from hives would have been my Grandfather (father's side) and my Aunt (father's side).  In there case, they only had them for about one summer season many years and they both suffered at the same time.  They believe the cause was from some insecticide/pesticide that was sprayed on their farm that summer.

2) Has anyone experienced a spontaneous stoppage in their hive meds working? Yes, most definitely.  If you look back on previous posts by myself (Omahaan7368) you will see that Over-The-Counter Claritin (Name Brand or Walmart/Walgreens Generic) worked amazing for my last bout of hives when I was 20-24.  I stopped taking the OTC Claritin daily when I noticed that if I missed a dose, hives would not appear so I experimented and decided that I no longer needed to take them.  Then it happened again, out of nowhere my hives came back this last November of 2006.  So I started taking Claritin again, at this point I'm 26 in November 2006.  This time around though the OTC Claritin seems to be ineffective.  It might help for about 10-12 hours (doesn't get rid of hives completely like it used to though) but then hives come back in full force unless I take another pill.  OTC Claritin is supposed to work 24 hours on one pill, it used to but this is not the case this time around.  If you look at my previous posts you can see that since May 2007 I've been struggling to find a drug cocktail regimen that will work.  Since my last post on 9/24/2007 these latest meds have been unsuccesful as well.  They have about the same results as taking the OTC Claritin and do it for much less.  Like I said in that previous post I paid $100 for a months supply after insurance on these new prescriptions.  I think I can get a 60 day supply of generic OTC Claritin from Walmart or Walgreens for about 20-some odd dollars.  I'll wait this out though and keep taking new meds, I have faith in this Allergist.

Hope this answers your questions.  I don't know what it is, but it is weird how our bodies seem to build up a tolerance to these medications that worked wonderfully before!!!