1527?1401794977
Chronic Kidney Failure in Dogs User Group
A Dog's Blood Results Reference Guide
About This Group:

A group for information and discussion and for emotional support for owners and companions of dogs with Chronic Kidney Failure. This is a complex and traumatic illness and affects about a third of all dogs over the age of 12yrs. While there is (as yet) no cure for this disease, there are things that can be done to improve and extend the quality of life for our best friends - and when all else fails, there are people that have traveled this path already that can offer empathy and support to grieving owners. If you wish to ask questions or talk about a particular dog, please head your thread with your dog's name, as this will help identify the discussion.

Founded by tonyb286 on June 3, 2014
96 members

A Dog's Blood Results Reference Guide

I have recently produced a reference guide for dog owners and members of the Chronic Kidney Failure in Dogs User Group, which is now available at: http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Pets/Canine-Blood-Chemistry-Results-Reference-Guide/show/1296?cid=3

Please take a look and let me have your comments, suggestions and corrections, if you can think of any that apply.

Thank you.

Tony
Hi Tony,

Great reference!  I can tell it took a lot of time for you to do your research and compile this guide.

One thing I had a question about:  You stated that the normal creatinine range is from 0.4-1.4.  However, my vet's lab states that normal creatinine is from 0.4-1.8.  Does the normal range differ among labs?  
Hi. Yes, some vets actually create their own set of levels based on experience. This can be confusing, because if you go to different vets, they will sometimes have a different base level (a normal level) as a reference. It's more often the vets rather than the labs that have different 'normal' levels. I would suggest, in your case, take a mean average between my reference and your vets upper range, so you might consider 1.6 as upper end normal.

Tony
Thanks.....I'm going to need this!!
Hi again Charlene. The problem with a lot of websites that list blood results is they can be very jargon-filled and quite technical, making them very difficult for many owners to understand. I have tried as best I can to make this reference both comprehensive and easy to read. Time will tell if I've succeeded. Hopefully, anything that's missing or is too incomprehensible can be updated over time. Tony
Earlsteffie Male Comment
Aug 31
Earlsteffie commented on photo
Aug 30
katster69 uploaded a new photo
Aug 30