1527?1401794977
Chronic Kidney Failure in Dogs User Group
Heartworm prevention?
About This Group:

A group for information and discussion and for emotional support for owners and companions of dogs with Chronic Kidney Failure. This is a complex and traumatic illness and affects about a third of all dogs over the age of 12yrs. While there is (as yet) no cure for this disease, there are things that can be done to improve and extend the quality of life for our best friends - and when all else fails, there are people that have traveled this path already that can offer empathy and support to grieving owners. If you wish to ask questions or talk about a particular dog, please head your thread with your dog's name, as this will help identify the discussion.

Founded by tonyb286 on June 3, 2014
36 members

Heartworm prevention?

A few months ago I got a notice to get my dog (with renal failure) his vaccinations. I thought that was normal so we went in,.... Didn't know until after we got back from the vet and he acted weaker, I found out from med help friends that the vets should have known not to have Buddy in for vaccinations.....bc his immune system is so weak.

Should I be giving his heartworm prevention? It's due today. I'm going to wait til someone on here gives me advice.
PLEASE.

THANKS IN ADVANCE,
Hi. No, do not give the heartworm prevention. This will severely impact on the immune system and kidneys and can potentially be fatal in a dog that already has kidney impairment. There are several things you should do. First, question whether your dog has hearworm already - if yes, then get advice to kill off the adult worms first, then treat the larva later. This two stage attack on them will help reduce the potential impact of an all-round one-off treatment. However, depending on the severity of the kidney failure, it may be better not to give any kind of heartworm treatment. Speak to a specialist or senior vet about this and make sure they are fully informed about your dog's kidney condition. Of course, a dog with heartworm is under a new threat from a different illness, so at some stage you may be forced into choosing the priority - and decide which - any or both conditions - to treat.

Second, research how to prevent heartworm infestation other than by giving medication. There are some natural remedies which discourage mosquitoes, and these might be considered as an alternative - though I cannot say whether any of these are particularly effective. Hopefully others will add to this thread that are more experienced and knowledgeable (I live in a country where mosquitoes are uncommon, so it's not something I know that much about).

Tony
Hi.  My 16 year old is in kidney failure and we see a vet that is an internal specialist (besides her regular vet).  She advised that the only vaccination our dog should have is rabies.  She does feel some type of heartworm is necessary as the development of heartworm would be so bad for her.  But rather than giving her the chewable heartworm she put her on Revolution which is topical for fleas, ticks and heartworm.  Although I worry about the topicals also, I felt this was the better solution.  So far, she's doing fine on it.  

Regards,
Charlene  
Thanks, he tested negative for heart worms on his last check a year or so ago. Thanks for the info. I won't give the med.
Thanks Charlene. I have heard of Revolution, but now I'll take a closer look at it. Anything that helps is good, right? Thanks for posting this useful info. Tony
H Tony:

I'll be interested if you find anything you don't like about the Revolution
DogBlog uploaded new photos
Oct 22
tonyb286 uploaded a new photo
Oct 21
llhernan joined this group
Welcome them!
Oct 16