Oliver 15 year old Maltese with Kidney Disease
Results are in: Olivers BUN went from 23 to 25 Creat: 1.4 to 1.7  Specific Gravity went from 1.016 to 1.012 His potassium has increased, therefore Dr. Schultz thought it would be best to take him off the renal essentials for a month and have him retested.  If the potassium remains the same then she wants to start him on fish oil. She did say with Kidney Disease/Failure the numbers do fluctuate.  Overall, she feels that it is great he continues to eat and keep himself  hydrated.  She said the blood results are not “alarming” but we continue to monitor him.  He needs to build muscle which is difficult with this disease and his age of 15. But, she did say I have been exceptional in taking care of him and he is very fortunate to be with me 24/7.
Any thoughts? He still is pretty active and eating like there is no tomorrow.
Have fantastic news. Brought Oliver in for his weigh in on Saturday. He is now at 3.85 lbs. Dr. Schultz said he looks great and to keep doing what I am doing. Guess what ?  KD now has canned food with veggies.  She gave Oliver two cans to sample from. Tried the chicken with veggies and he gobbled it up.  She also said it was fine to give him blueberries, bits of apples and sweet potatoes.  He is doing just great and I am very happy that almost five months later he has triumphed beautifully :)

I'm so glad to be shedding tears of joy!!!!  I am just so happy for you and Oliver.  I know how wonderful every day is when they are doing better.

Sammie, Bonnie and I send prayers for continued good news!!

Regards,
Charlene
Wow, that's fantastic. I am so pleased for Oliver ... and you. Your news brings sunshine to the start of this day, even though it's wet and rainy here in the UK. Tony x
GREAT NEWS!

Oliver, you are the little champion! Mom, you're the hero! Like Charlene, a great feeling came over me with a smile and a tear...Our babies want to stay:)

Interesting re: new KD. Wise receptionist mentioned a  new "stew-like " version of KD and I'm thinking this is it. Can't wait to try it on Darbie!

LOL, I bet Oliver is over his 4 lb. goal as we speak!

Fondly,( with "high 5" paws!! )

Lynne and Darbie
Thank you Charlene,
I am lost for words actually. I am taking it one day at a time and so is Oliver.

Hugs,
Elsa & Ollie
Tony its been the best news yet. We are very happy :)
Lynne & Darbie,

Yes, its the stew like KD. Oliver liked the chicken stew. Will try the beef stew tomorrow. Oliver never really liked stew and I am amazed he likes this.  We are aiming for 4 lbs by Thanksgiving....only time will tell.

Hugs,
Elsa & Oliver
Thank you so much, Elsa ( that was my Mom's name,too- She had a great compassion for animal rights)

I called the vet's office and they have KD "stew" in stock.

I pray for Oscar... miracles:)  Thanks for showing great integrity in loving Oscar and never letting go.

Fondly,
Lynne & Darbie
The vet keeps saying Oliver is a miracle. She said as long as he keeps eating that is a good sign.  I was very happy when she said he has never looked better.  Putting on the weight has made a difference.   Since I bring Oliver to work....someone commented and said he looks "happy".

We do what we have to do for our pets !!

Hugs,
Elsa & Oliver
Else !

So great to hear that Oscar is even making  Dr. Vet thrilled!!!

I love that you can bring him to work. He must be an inspiration to everyone! Of course he's happy...That's love and devotion:)

You're right, we do what we have to do for our pets...WHAT A GREAT REWARD!!!

Fondly,

Lynne & Darbie

Oliver is an inspiration to everyone on here. Tony x
Hi Elsa. Thinking of you and Oliver!

Charlene
Thank you !
He is at the groomer's right now. And I tell you he sure is feisty when he gets groomed.....never stops yelping :) He keeps his groomer on her toes.

Oliver continues to strive....eating at least five meals a day and drinking his water as well. No accidents, and he sleeps like a babe all night :)

I am one happy Maltesemom :)))))
Hugs
That is so awesome to hear!!!  Love the good stories!

Charlene
Elsa,

We finally have KD "stew" at vets. Awesome as Darbie loves it and shows no signs of loose stool. I actually blindfolded a friend  and said these were my leftovers from dinner. "Name that Meal"....Response was " Smells yummy! "

Hugs to You & Oliver:)

Lynne & Darbie
Too funny !
Oliver loves it too. He continues to eat like a big dog. Still doing great :)
Best wishes to you.
Happy stories .... it's great to hear them ... Tony
Else,

Love to you & "big dog" Oliver:)....

Small things come in great packages:)!!

Fonldy,
Lynne & Darbie:)
Hugs to Oliver......thinking of you both

Charlene and Bonnie
Thank you.
Oliver is napping right now. Since its so hot here in So.Cal I don't like to take him out. Oliver is doing great and I've been so lucky.  Many people say I've done a fantastic job with him. I honestly feel Oliver and I are working together on this Kidney disease. I am grateful he has a superb appetite.  Its like he isn't even ill.  He doesn't look frail anymore and has really filled out. Still working on the separation anxiety issue I have with him.  I guess its truly hard to break when he is with me 24/7.  
I have only good news to report. I am hoping when he sees the vet in November for complete blood work that all is good. Again thank you for the nice comments.  
Tony,

Oliver is due for his DHPP booster in October. I am thinking that since he is 15 years old and has kidney disease, and I don't want to compromise his health.  I've read that by giving these vaccinations to an older dog especially with illnesses that it is not a good idea.  What are your thoughts on this?  Of course, I will discuss this with Dr. Schultz as I want to do what is best for Oliver.  Oliver does not go to doggie park etc. and does not mingle with other dogs. He is with me 24/7.

Hugs,
Elsa

Hi Elsa. Things are done quite different in the USA to the UK in respect of booster vaccinations. In the UK, it is commonly held to be good practice to only give the booster vaccinations needed, which means although they still get annual boosters, they don't get repeated vaccinations of the same vaccine. I am told that in the USA this isn't quite the same, so it's certainly worth chatting to your excellent vet about it.

It is also true that all and any drugs have an impact on the kidneys, because the waste toxins (produced with almost all medicines) are filtered through them in one way or another. I think you have a useful insight into the risk element ... and if Oliver really isn't at risk from any of the illnesses being vaccinated against - and you are sure he won't mix with dogs over the next 12 months - or venture into areas where common diseases from ticks, faeces, etc., can be transmitted - then I would probably not vaccinate. But that's just me.

Not sure if that helps, but I hope it does.

Tony x
Elsa:

Once Sammie started with kidney disease, the only shot my vet would give her was rabies.  She didn't recommend other vaccinations.  She also changed her from taking the chewable heartworm med to a topical (Revolution) which dealt with heartworm and fleas/ticks.

Not all vets will have the same school of thought but thought I'd share.

Kisses to Oliver.

Regards,
Charlene
Thanks for the feedback. I pretty much made up mind and decided no DHPP. He is fine and he will not be around any dogs or dog parks etc.

Hugs
Elsa
Thank you. I know  can always count on positive feedback from everyone here :)  Decision made- no DHPP

Hugs
Elsa
Elsa, I am fairly sure Oliver is as safe with you as gold bars in the Royal Mint are. He sure is an amazing little dog - and you are an amazing mum. Tony x
Ha ! Actually you are absolutely right !
Have a great weekend and  I am extremely fortunate that I found this site online- you have been such a tremendous help to me and Oliver.

Hugs
Elsa

Elsa,

Great to hear Oliver is doing so fantastic!

This discussion has really made me ponder re: vaccines and CKD. When Darbie became so ill in June, I'm certain she had several vaccines updated. Now she is due for her rabies and I'm going to look into this.

Yes indeed! This online sight has been incredible! Thanks for the heads-up everyone!

Fondly,
Lynne & Darbie
Fo
I figured since Oliver is 15 years old and has been vaccinated all his life.....he actually does not need to be vaccinated anymore. My good friend has an 18 year old Mini-Pin (yes 18) and she stopped vaccinations when she was 15.  Dogs have always been over vaccinated. I can recall when Oliver was a puppy he would always have a bad reaction to vaccinations. His shots had to be spread out over a two month period.   I decided about three years ago to slowly wean him for some of the vaccinations and he has been fine. I made the decision on the DHPP due to his age and health.
The last time he had the DHPP booster was when he was 12.  Like I stated before I don't want to compromise his kidneys by giving him a vaccination.
He is not around any dogs and the groomer supports my decision. Hope all is well.  
I am not advising that dogs should not be vaccinated. In my case I think I would be committing a mistake having Oliver vaccinated.  He is doing well right now and in one month he has a major blood panel done. He is maintaining his weight and continues to be demanding when he wants to eat (which is 4-5 small meals day ).
Hugs,
Elsa
Elsa, you are a marvel. While Oliver is a mini-miracle. I am so pleased to keep hearing these excellent posts. Tony x
Elsa,

This is really fascinating...Thanks so much for sharing this. We do put so much trust in vet practices...Sadly, it seems they are more motivated by "production/collection" , over scheduling and making very transparent diagnoses. I have become more of a "hands on" mom now and must trust my instincts "outside the box".

As I've said and many others, thank God for this forum:)

Our very best to you and Oliver!!

Fondly,

Lynne & Darbie
Hi Elsa,

I'm new on this forum, and I was reading about Oliver. First of all, well done, Mom, with your care of Oliver!

Just a thought about Oliver's separation anxiety. My little dog Mandy gets really upset when we have thunderstorms. I live in coastal South Carolina, and this summer we've had tons of lightning and thunderstorms.

I found something that helped Mandy is the Thundershirt. http://www.thundershirt.com/

It's sort of like swaddling a baby. The gentle pressure helps them to feel more secure. Similar-type pressure helps with autistic human children, too.

I got Mandy's thundershirt at Petco. Just throwing that out as an idea.

Kay
Hi Kay !

I am willing to try anything at this point.  We have a Petco near work- think Oliver and I will be making a trip during lunch.

Hugs and Thank you.

Elsa
Good luck with that. Hope it helps!
Excellent Kay!

Darbie is going to get a Thundershirt for Christmas!....Hope it works for fireworks, too. I live in an area where there are several colleges (football games), parades and festivals. There was a time when fireworks were reserved for the 4th of July...Now it's a constant. Poor animals are so petrified:(

Hi Elsa. Yes, fireworks and dogs rarely go together. I live in a seaside resort which is popular with tourists, and every year (in addition to the usual and lengthy Nov 5th celebrations) there is the Annual Fireworks Display Competition in September. This lasts a week, with different countries doing an hour long display every night. It's a nightmare.

I am very lucky insofar as my current two dogs are relatively unimpressed and unworried by the noise, bangs, thuds and screeches. But my prior dog, BB, was totally petrified by them and would find a hiding place under the stairs, where she would shiver and tremble throughout the display.

There are two things that I have read that certainly seem to help ... the Thunder Shirt really does have some great reviews from pet owners, so definitely give it a try. The other is (might seem strange this one) that comforting a dog during this time might actually cause more harm than good. The evidence seems to be that dogs find reassurance from owners that pet and comfort them even more traumatic and become more anxious. It is suggested to leave them where they seem to find comfort (a bed or, commonly, under a human bed) and offer a blanket or something familiar. Put a radio on (something with a human voice) and close all curtains and windows. Some of this is just commonsense, but trying to leave a dog alone during this time is something I hadn't heard before, so might be worth further reading on it.

Tony
Unfortunately the thundershirt does not work for Bonnie.  She is totally terrified of any loud noise.  Tony.....your comment about leaving them alone works with Bonnie.  we keep her crate in a room with lights off, shade pulled.  When she is afraid, that's her safe zone.  If we try to cuddle her, she just shakes more!!!
Oliver's issue is not noises. He simply has separation anxiety. He hated the Thundershirt. Had to return it.  He is 15 years old - so my solution is I run errands when he sleeps.  So far, it has worked.  He is fine, when I say "I will be back" and return. I've always practiced this method with my Maltese's and its worked.  With Oliver when he went into severe kidney failure I went into severe caretaking !  I cater to his every whim. So easy to do when you are a small dog who weighs 3.8 lbs :)
Now, I have a question that may sound strange but worth asking. Since Oliver went into severe kidney failure (April 5th) I have noticed that since I brought him home on 4/9 he has had a tremendous appetite. Oliver has always had a great appetite. But since 4/9 he has been eating like every two in a half hours. He eats at 6:30 am, 8:30, 10:30 and then again at noon. He wants more food around 2 and then again at 4:30 when we arrive at home.  When I do feed him its small meals. I know I should be happy he is eating, but I find it odd that he is eating so much. He has me on my toes 24/7 :)  Sometimes I wonder if something else is going on. He sleeps well and at night he sleeps all night long no tinkling accidents. In the morning I go off to the gym, but when I return around 6:00 or 6:30 he is ready to eat (he lets me know by barking).  Or am I just dealing with a Maltese that has me very well trained ?
Hey Elsa,

Re: Vaccines...I asked my vet the other day and she said, except for Rabies, Darbie shouldn't need anymore vaccines!

Re: Oliver's rejuvenation...I can't wait to see what Tony says, but if it's anything like Darbie's, I'd swear it was the new diet and supplements! We allow her to sleep without disturbing her. She sleeps wonderfully thru the night. Now that our nights are colder and 5 a.m. mornings are darker, she is like waking a stubborn child. She smiles, stretches, rolls on her back to get a bell rub. She knows she's got me wrapped around her sweet little paw...I will spoil her til the end of time:)

Blessings:)

Lynne & darbie
Hi Elsa. I really wouldn't worry about Oliver's apparent increased eating. I think it is probably one of the things that has kept him going - and long may he continue. So many CKF dogs just quite literally stop eating anything. The fact that Oliver not only eats but asks for food is, to me, fantastic. You might want to keep an eye on his weight, if he continues to eats like a mini-horse, because obviously you don't want him getting overweight (that would just cause other 'issues').

I've said it many times ... Oliver is a little miracle and an inspiration to everyone in the User group.

Tony x
Oliver's rejuvenation....may very well be.  I can't wait to see what Tony responds as well ;)

Vaccinations - Oliver goes back on 11/7 and I will discuss the DHPP and kindly state no more vaccinations and explain why. I am sure Dr. Schultz will concur with my reasons.  Oliver is due for rabies shot in 2015 so that can wait until next year. I also will ask Dr. Schultz what stage of kidney failure Oliver is at. Pretty sure the blood results will be the determination.
He also isn't drinking anymore or less water since going through kidney failure. For some reason I expected him to be bedridden, he actually is the total opposite. He barks and I run on command ;)

Its amazing that Oliver actually loves the KD canned food. Can' wait to weigh him in November. He feels solid. I have to remind myself that Oliver is 15 years old.
Hugs
Elsa
Thanks for the feedback. I don't think he will ever be obese :) But, I am keeping a watchful eye on the little man.  The most he weighed was 6lbs and that was 5 years ago. He was rather round and did need to lose weight.  He moves around a lot and I think that is why he has maintained his current weight. Will see on November 7th when I report back.

Hugs
Elsa
Elsa:

Sammie had the same exact appetite for many many months.  We just fed her every 2 hours....a little at a time.  I was so grateful she wanted to eat.  My vet felt this was normal.

Charlene
I'll be feeding Oliver his breakfast soon. I should be so lucky, he has always a great appetite since the day I brought him home at 10 weeks.

Oliver and I cuddle this weekend since my significant other (Lonnie) is on a business trip.  Everyone will be asking about Oliver......that's the first thing people say when  they see me or my boyfriend.

Have w wonderful weekend.
Hugs
Elsa
Elsa,

Fantastic to know Oscar is doing great!

I've been away for a few days and it's great to check in:)

Fondly,
Lynne & Darbie
Lol its Oliver not Oscar ;)

He is doing very well. He just finished eating his fourth meal and its only 3:15 here in California.   November 7th is blood work day...crossing my fingers !!

Hugs
Elsa
LOL!! I have "OSCARS" on my mind!

I heard today that Neil Patrick Harris is hosting the 2015 Academy Awards so I'm already excited and brainwashed!

Darbie and I send prayers and best wishes to You and Oliver...Crossed fingers and paws:)

Fondly,
Lynne and Darbie

Just popping in to see how everyone is doing. Reading through all the new topics and everyone's responses.  There is so much knowledge here ;)
Oliver is napping while I should be working but instead I am here posting.
He continues to eat and be a good boy.  One thing I noticed.....here I was thinking he had separation anxiety..NOT !!  Before work this morning, Oliver and I had to make a quick stop at Trader Joes....He started whining the moment I grabbed my purse. I told him No when he started whining. Well, I ran in Trader Joes and was back like in three minutes. He was sitting in his carrier- no whining just waiting.  That little stinker has me trained. I watched him before he knew I had returned. He was fine sitting in his carrier. I got in the car and off we went to work and the whining started about five minutes into the drive. Arrived at work and he was fine.  All my fault that he is this way. Ever since he went into severe kidney failure I've been at his beck and call. He whines I jump.    It's Oliver's world and I just live in it !!!
Ha, ha. Yeah, dogs are wonderful at training their owners. My two are exactly the same. They have better alarm clocks than I have, that's for sure, and tell me when it's dinner time, supper time ... and even bed time. And in the morning, they open the bedroom door, waltz up to me, lick my face and let me know it's time to get up.

Delighted to hear the little man is still doing so well.

Tony x
So great to hear Oliver is not only feeling great, but learning new tricks, too!
...Darbie will ransack every shopping bag that enters the house looking for a new toy now. If I foolishly overlook buying a new toy, out of guilt, I try to trick her by placing an old one in a shopping bag and present it to her as a new gift. She backs away from the bag, sits and STARES at me saying,

"WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE KIDDING, MOM?!"

Yes, it's a conspiracy...

Tony, so true about their innate body clocks. Darbie could be in a solid sleep, but once that minute hand goes from 4:59pm to 5:00pm. She bolts up and gets all Drama Queen for dinner! As she's gotten older, she seems to luxuriate sleeping in an extra hour in the morning...Thank God, 5a.m. was getting a bit tough for my old bones:)

Best wishes to All!

Lynne & Darbie:)
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Catboo joined this group
Welcome them!
Dec 11
yippee6 joined this group
Welcome them!
Dec 05
EmDeeGee joined this group
Welcome them!
Dec 03