1527?1401794977
Chronic Kidney Failure in Dogs User Group
Oliver 15 year old Maltese with Kidney Disease
About This Group:

A group for information and discussion and for emotional support for owners and companions of dogs with Chronic Kidney Failure. This is a complex and traumatic illness and affects about a third of all dogs over the age of 12yrs. While there is (as yet) no cure for this disease, there are things that can be done to improve and extend the quality of life for our best friends - and when all else fails, there are people that have traveled this path already that can offer empathy and support to grieving owners. If you wish to ask questions or talk about a particular dog, please head your thread with your dog's name, as this will help identify the discussion.

Founded by tonyb286 on June 3, 2014
44 members

10628239?1403736689
Results are in: Olivers BUN went from 23 to 25 Creat: 1.4 to 1.7  Specific Gravity went from 1.016 to 1.012 His potassium has increased, therefore Dr. Schultz thought it would be best to take him off the renal essentials for a month and have him retested.  If the potassium remains the same then she wants to start him on fish oil. She did say with Kidney Disease/Failure the numbers do fluctuate.  Overall, she feels that it is great he continues to eat and keep himself  hydrated.  She said the blood results are not “alarming” but we continue to monitor him.  He needs to build muscle which is difficult with this disease and his age of 15. But, she did say I have been exceptional in taking care of him and he is very fortunate to be with me 24/7.
Any thoughts? He still is pretty active and eating like there is no tomorrow.
Hi. Wow, the levels are really good. Okay, on the high end of normal, but within a good range nonetheless. The creatinine needs caution, because it is a by-product of muscle metabolism ... it may be worth pushing extra fluids, because creatinine can rise due to poor blood volume (even mild dehydration can cause this). Isosthenuric urine (where specific gravity is 1.008-1.012) means urine is more or less the same concentration as his blood plasma, which means the kidneys can neither concentrate nor dilute urine once it has initially formed. This may be more difficult to control, because it is something we can't fix through diet or medication - it's just the kidneys slowly failing. The art is really to do what you are already doing, which is a) try to flush the body of toxins as best as possible with extra fluids; and b) try to prevent the kidneys having to work so hard by reducing low quality proteins and other high toxin high waste product foods in the diet.

So far, you are doing a fabulous job and the results prove it. Well done.

Tony x
Hi Tony,

Thank you for your feedback. I value your comments very much.
One of the things that amazes Dr. Schultz is Oliver not having any tinkling accidents at all. He sleeps all night.  His consumption of water is the same as it was before he went into kidney failure not any more or less. He continues to eat and drink fluids.  I've added white rice to his diet because he wants him to gain some weight. Thank goodness he gobbles that up. Over all, he seems like little feisty Oliver has not vomited (he does take 1/4 pill of Pepcid every morning). Pretty much all is good for now.  I think we were expecting his values to remain the same or even get better- afraid we are expecting too much from a 15 year old Maltese that bounced back rather quickly.....seems like a miracle.  I will post again soon. Again thank you for your kind words....you have helped me tremendously.
Oliver is a lesson for everyone on here ... he has given hope, reassurance and proof that intervention and gusto from himself and you can work miracles. I am so pleased for both of you - long may this good news continue. You are both amazing. Tony x
Thanks Tony,

Oliver and I are a team. He just ate lunch. He sure lets me know when he wants to eat :)  My only concern is will I know when its "time".  I probably should not even be thinking about that and should relish the moments we are having together especially at his age.   Because he is 15 he does have separation anxiety. He normally is with me 24/7 but I have doctor appts I need to take care and unfortunately cannot bring him along. Do you know anything  about lavender oil or can you suggest anything that would calm him down when he realizes I am not home with him. Unfortunately, this occurred yesterday when I had a dental in the morning. He was sound asleep and I was only gone an hour. Upon my return  he had tinkled in his bed. He normally signals me to help him and I will guide him to the piddle pad.  Oliver has me trained....and this behavior has been established for the past two years - all my fault.  Your thoughts :)
Hi Sep anxiety can truly be an utter nightmare. I had a wonderful rescue greyhound maybe 10 yrs ago now, who the shelter asked me to "give a try", because they knew I was the last hope and that I had some experience of dealing with this kind of issue. I put 24/7 into 'Arthur' for 7 months. I loved that dog so much and while I was with him, there wasn't any better dog on the planet. But, 10 minutes out of the house turned him into something quite crazy. I didn't step foot out of the house without someone being with him for 6 months, while undertaking several behavioral programs - including eventually hiring two dog behaviorists (one a police dog behaviorist) to intervene when I was at my wits end. I also tried pheromone calmers, medications and crating. It ll failed miserably. In the end, I had to return him and I learned shortly afterwards he was euthanized. I still feel as guilty now as I did then. I hate giving in - on anything or anyone - and that day I was forced into it, for my own sanity.

What it taught me, however, is that sep anxiety in dogs is usually something that is created either by us or by a prior experience/owner. Also, to compound this, some dogs are prone to having anxiety more than others. It's a very complex psychological puzzle - and one of the hardest to cure once it takes hold.

I think it may be worth trying some plug-in pheromone treatments. They do work, but not on all dogs. If it's a mild case of sep anxiety, then it could cure it overnight, so definitely worth trying. Next we have to remember that Oliver is an old boy with health issues. He's had lots of attention, because he needs lots of attention - so this isn't something you have 'created', it's just happened because of circumstances. Weening him off your attention may be undertaken, but I would suggest doing it slowly and cautiously, So, hard as it might be, you could lock him out of the room for may be half an hour (then work up by small degrees until you are at an hour). This would give him other areas of the house to roam in, just not the room you are in. This process could take a week or several weeks to achieve the desired result, one where Oliver is calm (and preferably asleep) on his own without whining or calling to you or pacing another room.

Once you get to the one hour point successfully, come back and ask about the next stage. It's the hardest thing in the world to do, because we are shutting out the dog we love, but remember it's for his good, and it will be beneficial to him. It's just very hard for us (as owners) to do.

Hope this helps.

Tony
Yes, due to Oliver's illness, I have paid extra attention to him and his needs and so has my boyfriend. To the point of "he is 15 years old and he deserves all the TLC"  I run all my errands when he is asleep (bright and early- thank goodness I am an early bird). He is with me at work so there again we are together constantly.  Right before he went into severe kidney failure I had his eyes checked because he kept bumping into things. Part of it was his lack of coordination due to CKF and he has a cataract in the left eye so this impairs his vision. He sees shadows.  So, I gather he is afraid since he does not see very well.  His depth perception is off but he manages. He is able to walk without bumping into anything at this time- he is getting better.  I will try and experiment with him a little at a time and see how he does with your ideas.  Thanks :)
It needs one important element ... consistency! And that is sometimes so hard to meet, believe me, I know. To have any chance at success, you need to maintain it, almost like a religion. And everyone needs to do it, including your boyf. Let me know how you get on. And, give Oliver the Wonder Dog a huge hug from me. Tony x
Thanks Tony, I am pretty consistent, my boyf on the other hand gives in to Oliver all the time.  Will start working on Oliver immediately. He actually did great yesterday when I left him from 5-7 ( I had a dental appt). I made sure he was fed / drank water and tinkled....and off to bed he went.  He was waking up as I arrived.  I literally plan everything around him.  His preference is to be at home opposed to me taking him anywhere (he loved hanging out with me) but now what he is older is comfort zone is being at home.  The dentist even said bring Oliver....but honestly I can't fathom that due to his wanting to tinkle and being in unfamiliar surroundings....idea sounds great, but he is better off home and the dental place is only walking distance from me (3 minutes).    Will probably post again around August 2nd when Dr. Schultz checks his potassium levels.  Hoping for the best.
Wishing you a Happy 4th of July weekend. Hugs from Oliver and I.
Tony, on another note. I posted some recent pictures of Oliver. There is one in particular that I would like you to look at (Before  & After kidney failure). The picture of him being held was when he was actually going through kidney failure and I did not know it....a couple days later he was admitted at the pet clinic. The after picture was after being release from the clinic - 12 days after. All the other pictures are of Ollie at the present time.

Thanks again.
Elsa & Oliver
Hi Elsa. Love the pictures. Oliver is a real-life little teddy bear. He looks amazing now compared to the initial diagnosis photo. You really have done an extraordinary job in caring for him. Long may he continue to feel happy, contented and (despite the condition) healthy. Tony x
Awww, Tony, your words touched my heart.  I love my little man dearly.
Until next time.

Elsa
Dropping in to say Hello and hope everyone is fine.
Oliver continues to triumph and we have three more weeks before his next visit to the vet.  Slowly, working on the separation anxiety issue with him. I have always told Oliver that I will be back whenever I leave and he seems to have understood this over the years beacause I always come back within the hour.  I believe his separation anxiety has a lot to do with his illnesses and also that he comes with me to work.

Will touch base in a few weeks.
Hi Elsa. Great to hear your little man is continuing to do well  ... I mean Oliver, by the way, not your boyf. :) You could be right about his sep anxiety and his illness, particularly as it has involved so much one-to-ne care and attention - plus as you say, you are rarely parted. I think he's a very lucky dog having shared so much time, adventures and experiences with you. Long may it continue. Tony x
Hi Tony,

Oliver is eating his KD Canned Food. Is there any treat he can have that would be okay for him.  He loves his treats and I've noticed that if I give him a treat to calm him down (to stop whining) he will stop.   I've been extremely strict with his food intake since he went into severe kidney failure, but the little guy does deserve a treat from time to time.  I understand why he is on this special diet and that he must avoid foods that would make his kidneys work harder. Will a treat make a difference?  Hugs from Oliver :)
Hi Elsa,

Oliver is the sweetest under heaven:)

Although Darbie is a larger breed, I give her a TRACE of peanut butter w/ small bit of cucumber/ watermelon.  I use raw honey, too. I give Darbie 1/4 of "crab stick" to satiate her. The "quantity" never was an issue ...I felt she was just wanted keep open communication:). When she said her mind, we "answered"...She falls into content sleep.

I understand your concern, but you seem to know Oliver well. Follow your best instincts for Oliver:)

Our very best to you,

Lynne & Darbie

My very best wishes to you,

Fondly,
Lynne & Darbie

Wow! You responded when I surely need it feedback. I will try the peanut butter etc.   I did the mistake of giving him a smidge of some jerky treat. He has not had any type of treats since April of this year. Well, with that being said....he vomited this morning. I could tell it was the jerky treat :(  He ate well yesterday, and this morning he did not want to eat. Pretty sure he had an upset stomach. I'm going to monitor him all day (he is right here with me at work sleeping).   I was giving Oliver watermelon and he did well with that....so I guess I should stick with the watermelon.  Thanks again.
Please be wary that watermelon may give Oliver loose stool, not to mention anything new introduced to his diet. Check with your vet re: antacids. I would not ever suggest anything that would compromise his little belly, although I can imagine on any level, great or small...it hurts:(

Please be advised that certain " jerky treats" may be difficult for Oliver to digest...I learned this hard way, but maybe you make your own?...

I wish you well...Personally, I tried different things in moderation to see how Darbie felt within 2 days.

I know Darbie would love to consume a porterhouse steak right now....But only in her dreams:)
Thank you my friend. The watermelon per the vet was fine. No more jerky treats. It was only a little, but enough to upset his stomach.  I do give Oliver Pepcid every morning (only 1/4 tablet per the vet). Thank goodness I only gave him a smidge, but it was enough to give him a tummy ache.
I'm going to discuss the "treat's" issue with Oliver's vet. He is due to see the vet on 8/2 and I will bring it up. Hopefully, I can simply prepare homemade treats for him :)
Hi. Generally, any meat treat is okay, so something like cubed human grade chicken with the skin on is worth giving in small amounts. Alternatively, I found this recipe on the net, which sounds interesting ...

· 2cups rice flour or white all-purpose bleached flour (these two are lowest in phosphorus, which is best for kidney disease)
6 Tbsp low sodium, low fat chicken broth*
1 cup cold water
1 cup cooked vegetables ground up (winter squashes, zucchini, and sweet potatoes are low in phosphorus, which is best for kidney disease)

Combine flour and garlic; mix in chicken broth and vegetable(s); add enough cold water to form a ball; pat dough to &frac;" and cut into desired shapes; place on non-stick cookie sheet and bake in preheated oven at 350F for 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Freeze what is not eaten within a week.

*Non Fat Chicken Broth

You can use a pressure cooker and complete this in 2 hours, or a stock pot and finish in 24 hours.

Remove skin from whole chicken OR chicken pieces. ( in the pressure cooker I use 3 leg quarters from which I remove the skin before cooking ). Place the chicken in the pot with distilled water. For the pressure cooker, cook on high for 2 hours and in the stock pot, simmer on low heat for 16-24 hours.

Remove the chicken and bone from the broth and discard ( all the nutrients are in the stock)

Pour the broth into a fat separator ( looks like a pitcher with the spout coming from the bottom ) After 10 minutes the fat will float to the top. Pour off the small amount of fat at the top and pour the low fat broth to a container. Be sure to watch what you are doing because near the bottom you will come to more fat and will need to stop pouring into the pot and discard that part, too.

Refrigerate the broth and when it is cold, any fat remaining will be gelatin on the top. You can remove part of it or you can pour the whole thing through a super fine mesh strainer, which will stop the fat and allow the plain broth through. You will find that after the broth has been used and you run your hand inside the container, it will not be greasy.

If you or anyone else tried making these, let me know a) whether your dog enjoys them; and b) whether you noticed any after-effects of them.

Tony x
Sorry, a quick update to the last post ... I noticed I left the garlic in the instructions, but had removed it from the ingredients. The reason for this is that garlic is not good for dogs, despite what others might tell you. So, just ignore garlic ... :)

Tony
I can't thank Tony enough for these recipes...It truly helped Darbie thrive when I would not know what to do...It makes the disease less frightening when you have choices, and you will learn /know what to do in your limitations.

I actually have fun creating  Darbie "treats"...She loves shaved slice of cucumber with small bits of dark meat from chicken/pork or faux crab. I say "SUSHI!" and she hits the roof...

LOL, My old Darbie learns new tricks,too:)

Elsa, this works for us now...Darbie is a lab-mix, Oliver, being 1/3 the size of Darbie, may need portion control:)

Fondly,
Lynne & Darbie
Thank you Tony!
As always you are a great help :)
Oliver is making up for not eating on Monday. He is back to normal. I have been giving him some watermelon (just a little). I'm going to attempt to make the treats Tony provided.  Oliver's appetite has always been good and I am sure he will relish this.  Thanks everyone.
Good to hear Oliver is back to good days ... hope he enjoys the treats, no doubt made with an extra ingredient you will supply ... love.

Tony x
I actually sliced the KD canned food and preheated the oven to 350 and baked the slices for 30-40 minutes until they were kind of crispy like a cookie or jerky like.  Oliver gobbled up a few bits this morning and did not whine during our drive to work.   I will have more time over the weekend to prepare the other goodies you mentioned.....Thanks
Oliver's news is wonderful!  He is the sweetest little pup...Actually when I look at his pictures, he's about the size of Darbie's head!

I am going to follow up on your baked treats recipe using KD canned. Although my vet changed Darbie's food recently , I will pick up a can of KD for baking "treats" and see how she responds.

Go Oliver!

Fondly,
Lynne and Darbie
Oliver has blood work on Saturday. Its to check for the potassium level.
He has been off the Renal Essentials for a month. Seems his potassium level was high. Dr. Schultz indicated it should have been lower. Crossing my fingers it was the Renal Essentials that was causing the elevation.
Will report back next week. In the meantime Oliver continues to eat his KD with some rice. Munching on some watermelon/ and some of the baked KD that I've made for him :)
Oliver is holding his own very well and that's great news! As I said to DogBlog
( Charlene with her pup, Sammie ), these roller coaster rides get tough.

The watermelon is so refreshing. On extremely hot days, I'll freeze small cubes for Darbie, though this summer has been very pleasant thus far.

Best of luck with Oliver's blood work. We'll be thinking of you and crossing our fingers, too!

Fondly,
Lynne & Darbie
Hooray !  Oliver's blood results are all at normal range. Dr. Schultz was pleased with his results and he goes back in three months for a recheck.

Any idea on how Oliver can gain some weight. Would like to get him to 4lbs. He is currently at 3.7lbs.  Its kind of hard to figure out what I can give him since I don't want to give him anything that will make his kidneys work harder.  He loves his KD canned food- I've added some rice. But, he has not gained weight.  Any thoughts.
Hi. That's brilliant. I am so pleased with his blood results. Oliver is truly a little miracle. As for food and gaining weight, my favourite is of course green tripe - ideally the frozen natural blocks made for working and racing dogs. Green tripe has the advantage of adding weight (and energy for working dogs), but it is also low in phosphorus and protein, so great for kidney failure dogs. The drawback is it stinks to high hell when it's cooking, but dogs generally absolutely love it.

Other good foods for adding weight are fatty meats - so pure hamburger (no additives, herbs or onions), lamb and beef. Other things are sweet potatoes, but sparingly, as they can cause loose stools. The other way is to increase the food intake, obviously, so even if you increase the daily intake by 20% but spread it out over say four meals (if possible), then this will add weight too.

Anyway, a few ideas there ... give the little guy a huge congratulatory hug from me.

Tony x
We're having the same issue with Sammie.  Have tried everything but the green tripe and nothing is helping.  I hope trying the things Tony has advised will work for Oliver.

Congrats on the blood result....every little piece of good news is what keeps us going!!

Charlene
Fantastic news! Oliver is a little miracle and this gives me such great hope. Darbie is having her monthly blood test on Thursday so I'm getting into anxiety mode:(

The food issue is like trial by fire!...As I journey thru different foods, I cautiously wait up to 12 hrs. to see how  it sits with Darbie. I have explored organic plain yogurts which Darbie loves with shavings of watermelon or thinned down with unsalted chicken broth. I feel overall, it's been helpful with her digestion.Tony helped with this and brought up the possible pros and cons. I settled with YoBaby ( for toddlers ) from Stoneyfield which has less sugar and salt added. If Oliver is receptive to a tsp. of this with a special topping ...maybe he can reach his 4 lb. goal:)

Best of Luck and a kiss on the nose to Oliver!

Lynne and Darbie
YoBaby it is.  If Oliver can reach 4lbs I would be elated.
I get anxious too when its blood test time. Oliver truly amazes the vet everytime he has blood work done.  We keep forgetting Oliver is 15 years old !!

Hugs and I will keep everyone posted. I will also pop in from time to time to read the other posts as I truly care on how everyone is doing.

Elsa
Forgot to post Oliver's blood results:

BUN: 23  
CREAT:  1.8

Retest in early November.  Oliver's BUN was 25 in June and his CREAT was 1.7.  Dr. Schultz said it is expected to go up and down with his KD.
Hoping he maintains his numbers until November.
What you are doing is spot-on, so just keep doing it. The numbers are excellent and as close to normal for a dog with kidney disease that I've seen, never mind one that's Oliver's age. Absolutely fantastic results. Congratulations (again). Tony x
Thank you Tony. Hopefully, by November my little man will be a whopping 4lbs ;)
Such great numbers.....keep on doing what you are doing!!

Regards,
Charlene
Checking in to let you know we're thinking of you and Oliver...I absolutely LOVE the new pics you posted! (Darbie has the striped monkey in her huge entourage! )

Looking at Oliver, it's so amazing he is 15...I wish you more years of health and happiness with the "little man".

Fondly,
Lynne and Darbie
Have fantastic news. Brought Oliver in for his weigh in on Saturday. He is now at 3.85 lbs. Dr. Schultz said he looks great and to keep doing what I am doing. Guess what ?  KD now has canned food with veggies.  She gave Oliver two cans to sample from. Tried the chicken with veggies and he gobbled it up.  She also said it was fine to give him blueberries, bits of apples and sweet potatoes.  He is doing just great and I am very happy that almost five months later he has triumphed beautifully :)

I'm so glad to be shedding tears of joy!!!!  I am just so happy for you and Oliver.  I know how wonderful every day is when they are doing better.

Sammie, Bonnie and I send prayers for continued good news!!

Regards,
Charlene
Wow, that's fantastic. I am so pleased for Oliver ... and you. Your news brings sunshine to the start of this day, even though it's wet and rainy here in the UK. Tony x
GREAT NEWS!

Oliver, you are the little champion! Mom, you're the hero! Like Charlene, a great feeling came over me with a smile and a tear...Our babies want to stay:)

Interesting re: new KD. Wise receptionist mentioned a  new "stew-like " version of KD and I'm thinking this is it. Can't wait to try it on Darbie!

LOL, I bet Oliver is over his 4 lb. goal as we speak!

Fondly,( with "high 5" paws!! )

Lynne and Darbie
Thank you Charlene,
I am lost for words actually. I am taking it one day at a time and so is Oliver.

Hugs,
Elsa & Ollie
Tony its been the best news yet. We are very happy :)
Lynne & Darbie,

Yes, its the stew like KD. Oliver liked the chicken stew. Will try the beef stew tomorrow. Oliver never really liked stew and I am amazed he likes this.  We are aiming for 4 lbs by Thanksgiving....only time will tell.

Hugs,
Elsa & Oliver
Thank you so much, Elsa ( that was my Mom's name,too- She had a great compassion for animal rights)

I called the vet's office and they have KD "stew" in stock.

I pray for Oscar... miracles:)  Thanks for showing great integrity in loving Oscar and never letting go.

Fondly,
Lynne & Darbie
The vet keeps saying Oliver is a miracle. She said as long as he keeps eating that is a good sign.  I was very happy when she said he has never looked better.  Putting on the weight has made a difference.   Since I bring Oliver to work....someone commented and said he looks "happy".

We do what we have to do for our pets !!

Hugs,
Elsa & Oliver
Else !

So great to hear that Oscar is even making  Dr. Vet thrilled!!!

I love that you can bring him to work. He must be an inspiration to everyone! Of course he's happy...That's love and devotion:)

You're right, we do what we have to do for our pets...WHAT A GREAT REWARD!!!

Fondly,

Lynne & Darbie

Oliver is an inspiration to everyone on here. Tony x
Hi Elsa. Thinking of you and Oliver!

Charlene
Thank you !
He is at the groomer's right now. And I tell you he sure is feisty when he gets groomed.....never stops yelping :) He keeps his groomer on her toes.

Oliver continues to strive....eating at least five meals a day and drinking his water as well. No accidents, and he sleeps like a babe all night :)

I am one happy Maltesemom :)))))
Hugs
That is so awesome to hear!!!  Love the good stories!

Charlene
Elsa,

We finally have KD "stew" at vets. Awesome as Darbie loves it and shows no signs of loose stool. I actually blindfolded a friend  and said these were my leftovers from dinner. "Name that Meal"....Response was " Smells yummy! "

Hugs to You & Oliver:)

Lynne & Darbie
Too funny !
Oliver loves it too. He continues to eat like a big dog. Still doing great :)
Best wishes to you.
Happy stories .... it's great to hear them ... Tony
Else,

Love to you & "big dog" Oliver:)....

Small things come in great packages:)!!

Fonldy,
Lynne & Darbie:)
Hugs to Oliver......thinking of you both

Charlene and Bonnie
Thank you.
Oliver is napping right now. Since its so hot here in So.Cal I don't like to take him out. Oliver is doing great and I've been so lucky.  Many people say I've done a fantastic job with him. I honestly feel Oliver and I are working together on this Kidney disease. I am grateful he has a superb appetite.  Its like he isn't even ill.  He doesn't look frail anymore and has really filled out. Still working on the separation anxiety issue I have with him.  I guess its truly hard to break when he is with me 24/7.  
I have only good news to report. I am hoping when he sees the vet in November for complete blood work that all is good. Again thank you for the nice comments.  
Tony,

Oliver is due for his DHPP booster in October. I am thinking that since he is 15 years old and has kidney disease, and I don't want to compromise his health.  I've read that by giving these vaccinations to an older dog especially with illnesses that it is not a good idea.  What are your thoughts on this?  Of course, I will discuss this with Dr. Schultz as I want to do what is best for Oliver.  Oliver does not go to doggie park etc. and does not mingle with other dogs. He is with me 24/7.

Hugs,
Elsa

Hi Elsa. Things are done quite different in the USA to the UK in respect of booster vaccinations. In the UK, it is commonly held to be good practice to only give the booster vaccinations needed, which means although they still get annual boosters, they don't get repeated vaccinations of the same vaccine. I am told that in the USA this isn't quite the same, so it's certainly worth chatting to your excellent vet about it.

It is also true that all and any drugs have an impact on the kidneys, because the waste toxins (produced with almost all medicines) are filtered through them in one way or another. I think you have a useful insight into the risk element ... and if Oliver really isn't at risk from any of the illnesses being vaccinated against - and you are sure he won't mix with dogs over the next 12 months - or venture into areas where common diseases from ticks, faeces, etc., can be transmitted - then I would probably not vaccinate. But that's just me.

Not sure if that helps, but I hope it does.

Tony x
Elsa:

Once Sammie started with kidney disease, the only shot my vet would give her was rabies.  She didn't recommend other vaccinations.  She also changed her from taking the chewable heartworm med to a topical (Revolution) which dealt with heartworm and fleas/ticks.

Not all vets will have the same school of thought but thought I'd share.

Kisses to Oliver.

Regards,
Charlene
Thanks for the feedback. I pretty much made up mind and decided no DHPP. He is fine and he will not be around any dogs or dog parks etc.

Hugs
Elsa
Thank you. I know  can always count on positive feedback from everyone here :)  Decision made- no DHPP

Hugs
Elsa
Elsa, I am fairly sure Oliver is as safe with you as gold bars in the Royal Mint are. He sure is an amazing little dog - and you are an amazing mum. Tony x
Ha ! Actually you are absolutely right !
Have a great weekend and  I am extremely fortunate that I found this site online- you have been such a tremendous help to me and Oliver.

Hugs
Elsa

Elsa,

Great to hear Oliver is doing so fantastic!

This discussion has really made me ponder re: vaccines and CKD. When Darbie became so ill in June, I'm certain she had several vaccines updated. Now she is due for her rabies and I'm going to look into this.

Yes indeed! This online sight has been incredible! Thanks for the heads-up everyone!

Fondly,
Lynne & Darbie
Fo
I figured since Oliver is 15 years old and has been vaccinated all his life.....he actually does not need to be vaccinated anymore. My good friend has an 18 year old Mini-Pin (yes 18) and she stopped vaccinations when she was 15.  Dogs have always been over vaccinated. I can recall when Oliver was a puppy he would always have a bad reaction to vaccinations. His shots had to be spread out over a two month period.   I decided about three years ago to slowly wean him for some of the vaccinations and he has been fine. I made the decision on the DHPP due to his age and health.
The last time he had the DHPP booster was when he was 12.  Like I stated before I don't want to compromise his kidneys by giving him a vaccination.
He is not around any dogs and the groomer supports my decision. Hope all is well.  
I am not advising that dogs should not be vaccinated. In my case I think I would be committing a mistake having Oliver vaccinated.  He is doing well right now and in one month he has a major blood panel done. He is maintaining his weight and continues to be demanding when he wants to eat (which is 4-5 small meals day ).
Hugs,
Elsa
Elsa, you are a marvel. While Oliver is a mini-miracle. I am so pleased to keep hearing these excellent posts. Tony x
Elsa,

This is really fascinating...Thanks so much for sharing this. We do put so much trust in vet practices...Sadly, it seems they are more motivated by "production/collection" , over scheduling and making very transparent diagnoses. I have become more of a "hands on" mom now and must trust my instincts "outside the box".

As I've said and many others, thank God for this forum:)

Our very best to you and Oliver!!

Fondly,

Lynne & Darbie
Hi Elsa,

I'm new on this forum, and I was reading about Oliver. First of all, well done, Mom, with your care of Oliver!

Just a thought about Oliver's separation anxiety. My little dog Mandy gets really upset when we have thunderstorms. I live in coastal South Carolina, and this summer we've had tons of lightning and thunderstorms.

I found something that helped Mandy is the Thundershirt. http://www.thundershirt.com/

It's sort of like swaddling a baby. The gentle pressure helps them to feel more secure. Similar-type pressure helps with autistic human children, too.

I got Mandy's thundershirt at Petco. Just throwing that out as an idea.

Kay
Hi Kay !

I am willing to try anything at this point.  We have a Petco near work- think Oliver and I will be making a trip during lunch.

Hugs and Thank you.

Elsa
Good luck with that. Hope it helps!
Excellent Kay!

Darbie is going to get a Thundershirt for Christmas!....Hope it works for fireworks, too. I live in an area where there are several colleges (football games), parades and festivals. There was a time when fireworks were reserved for the 4th of July...Now it's a constant. Poor animals are so petrified:(

Hi Elsa. Yes, fireworks and dogs rarely go together. I live in a seaside resort which is popular with tourists, and every year (in addition to the usual and lengthy Nov 5th celebrations) there is the Annual Fireworks Display Competition in September. This lasts a week, with different countries doing an hour long display every night. It's a nightmare.

I am very lucky insofar as my current two dogs are relatively unimpressed and unworried by the noise, bangs, thuds and screeches. But my prior dog, BB, was totally petrified by them and would find a hiding place under the stairs, where she would shiver and tremble throughout the display.

There are two things that I have read that certainly seem to help ... the Thunder Shirt really does have some great reviews from pet owners, so definitely give it a try. The other is (might seem strange this one) that comforting a dog during this time might actually cause more harm than good. The evidence seems to be that dogs find reassurance from owners that pet and comfort them even more traumatic and become more anxious. It is suggested to leave them where they seem to find comfort (a bed or, commonly, under a human bed) and offer a blanket or something familiar. Put a radio on (something with a human voice) and close all curtains and windows. Some of this is just commonsense, but trying to leave a dog alone during this time is something I hadn't heard before, so might be worth further reading on it.

Tony
Unfortunately the thundershirt does not work for Bonnie.  She is totally terrified of any loud noise.  Tony.....your comment about leaving them alone works with Bonnie.  we keep her crate in a room with lights off, shade pulled.  When she is afraid, that's her safe zone.  If we try to cuddle her, she just shakes more!!!
Oliver's issue is not noises. He simply has separation anxiety. He hated the Thundershirt. Had to return it.  He is 15 years old - so my solution is I run errands when he sleeps.  So far, it has worked.  He is fine, when I say "I will be back" and return. I've always practiced this method with my Maltese's and its worked.  With Oliver when he went into severe kidney failure I went into severe caretaking !  I cater to his every whim. So easy to do when you are a small dog who weighs 3.8 lbs :)
Now, I have a question that may sound strange but worth asking. Since Oliver went into severe kidney failure (April 5th) I have noticed that since I brought him home on 4/9 he has had a tremendous appetite. Oliver has always had a great appetite. But since 4/9 he has been eating like every two in a half hours. He eats at 6:30 am, 8:30, 10:30 and then again at noon. He wants more food around 2 and then again at 4:30 when we arrive at home.  When I do feed him its small meals. I know I should be happy he is eating, but I find it odd that he is eating so much. He has me on my toes 24/7 :)  Sometimes I wonder if something else is going on. He sleeps well and at night he sleeps all night long no tinkling accidents. In the morning I go off to the gym, but when I return around 6:00 or 6:30 he is ready to eat (he lets me know by barking).  Or am I just dealing with a Maltese that has me very well trained ?
Hey Elsa,

Re: Vaccines...I asked my vet the other day and she said, except for Rabies, Darbie shouldn't need anymore vaccines!

Re: Oliver's rejuvenation...I can't wait to see what Tony says, but if it's anything like Darbie's, I'd swear it was the new diet and supplements! We allow her to sleep without disturbing her. She sleeps wonderfully thru the night. Now that our nights are colder and 5 a.m. mornings are darker, she is like waking a stubborn child. She smiles, stretches, rolls on her back to get a bell rub. She knows she's got me wrapped around her sweet little paw...I will spoil her til the end of time:)

Blessings:)

Lynne & darbie
Hi Elsa. I really wouldn't worry about Oliver's apparent increased eating. I think it is probably one of the things that has kept him going - and long may he continue. So many CKF dogs just quite literally stop eating anything. The fact that Oliver not only eats but asks for food is, to me, fantastic. You might want to keep an eye on his weight, if he continues to eats like a mini-horse, because obviously you don't want him getting overweight (that would just cause other 'issues').

I've said it many times ... Oliver is a little miracle and an inspiration to everyone in the User group.

Tony x
Oliver's rejuvenation....may very well be.  I can't wait to see what Tony responds as well ;)

Vaccinations - Oliver goes back on 11/7 and I will discuss the DHPP and kindly state no more vaccinations and explain why. I am sure Dr. Schultz will concur with my reasons.  Oliver is due for rabies shot in 2015 so that can wait until next year. I also will ask Dr. Schultz what stage of kidney failure Oliver is at. Pretty sure the blood results will be the determination.
He also isn't drinking anymore or less water since going through kidney failure. For some reason I expected him to be bedridden, he actually is the total opposite. He barks and I run on command ;)

Its amazing that Oliver actually loves the KD canned food. Can' wait to weigh him in November. He feels solid. I have to remind myself that Oliver is 15 years old.
Hugs
Elsa
Thanks for the feedback. I don't think he will ever be obese :) But, I am keeping a watchful eye on the little man.  The most he weighed was 6lbs and that was 5 years ago. He was rather round and did need to lose weight.  He moves around a lot and I think that is why he has maintained his current weight. Will see on November 7th when I report back.

Hugs
Elsa
Elsa:

Sammie had the same exact appetite for many many months.  We just fed her every 2 hours....a little at a time.  I was so grateful she wanted to eat.  My vet felt this was normal.

Charlene
I'll be feeding Oliver his breakfast soon. I should be so lucky, he has always a great appetite since the day I brought him home at 10 weeks.

Oliver and I cuddle this weekend since my significant other (Lonnie) is on a business trip.  Everyone will be asking about Oliver......that's the first thing people say when  they see me or my boyfriend.

Have w wonderful weekend.
Hugs
Elsa
Elsa,

Fantastic to know Oscar is doing great!

I've been away for a few days and it's great to check in:)

Fondly,
Lynne & Darbie
Lol its Oliver not Oscar ;)

He is doing very well. He just finished eating his fourth meal and its only 3:15 here in California.   November 7th is blood work day...crossing my fingers !!

Hugs
Elsa
LOL!! I have "OSCARS" on my mind!

I heard today that Neil Patrick Harris is hosting the 2015 Academy Awards so I'm already excited and brainwashed!

Darbie and I send prayers and best wishes to You and Oliver...Crossed fingers and paws:)

Fondly,
Lynne and Darbie

Just popping in to see how everyone is doing. Reading through all the new topics and everyone's responses.  There is so much knowledge here ;)
Oliver is napping while I should be working but instead I am here posting.
He continues to eat and be a good boy.  One thing I noticed.....here I was thinking he had separation anxiety..NOT !!  Before work this morning, Oliver and I had to make a quick stop at Trader Joes....He started whining the moment I grabbed my purse. I told him No when he started whining. Well, I ran in Trader Joes and was back like in three minutes. He was sitting in his carrier- no whining just waiting.  That little stinker has me trained. I watched him before he knew I had returned. He was fine sitting in his carrier. I got in the car and off we went to work and the whining started about five minutes into the drive. Arrived at work and he was fine.  All my fault that he is this way. Ever since he went into severe kidney failure I've been at his beck and call. He whines I jump.    It's Oliver's world and I just live in it !!!
Ha, ha. Yeah, dogs are wonderful at training their owners. My two are exactly the same. They have better alarm clocks than I have, that's for sure, and tell me when it's dinner time, supper time ... and even bed time. And in the morning, they open the bedroom door, waltz up to me, lick my face and let me know it's time to get up.

Delighted to hear the little man is still doing so well.

Tony x
So great to hear Oliver is not only feeling great, but learning new tricks, too!
...Darbie will ransack every shopping bag that enters the house looking for a new toy now. If I foolishly overlook buying a new toy, out of guilt, I try to trick her by placing an old one in a shopping bag and present it to her as a new gift. She backs away from the bag, sits and STARES at me saying,

"WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE KIDDING, MOM?!"

Yes, it's a conspiracy...

Tony, so true about their innate body clocks. Darbie could be in a solid sleep, but once that minute hand goes from 4:59pm to 5:00pm. She bolts up and gets all Drama Queen for dinner! As she's gotten older, she seems to luxuriate sleeping in an extra hour in the morning...Thank God, 5a.m. was getting a bit tough for my old bones:)

Best wishes to All!

Lynne & Darbie:)
Fitmaltesemom uploaded new photos
Dec 22
HaleyBugg2003 joined this group
Welcome them!
Dec 22
wilphred joined this group
Welcome them!
Dec 17