1527?1401794977
Chronic Kidney Failure in Dogs User Group
Salmon Oil & Green Tripe
About This Group:

A group for information and discussion and for emotional support for owners and companions of dogs with Chronic Kidney Failure. This is a complex and traumatic illness and affects about a third of all dogs over the age of 12yrs. While there is (as yet) no cure for this disease, there are things that can be done to improve and extend the quality of life for our best friends - and when all else fails, there are people that have traveled this path already that can offer empathy and support to grieving owners. If you wish to ask questions or talk about a particular dog, please head your thread with your dog's name, as this will help identify the discussion.

Founded by tonyb286 on June 3, 2014
30 members

Salmon Oil & Green Tripe

I am waiting on delivery of Trippet Green Beef Tripe ( cans ) and Grizzly Salmon Oil Supplement/pump bottle. My dearest went to THE GREEN GROCER, organic food store and picked up KENAI WILD ALASKAN SALMON OIL, fluid.
I cringed as it says "great citrus taste"and rosemary extract. I do not plan on giving this to Darbie, but I will use myself. I love the thoughtfulness, but not all salmon oils are made the same?!

I hope this canned Trippet/Tripe is suitable for our needs.
Hi. You have made an excellent point, which we should all remember ... the best salmon oil is pure salmon oil, otherwise you really do have to be careful about the ingredients. It's the same with green tripe ... tinned varieties are usually okay, but all natural frozen is better, just because you know there's nothing else in it. The main concern with tinned varieties is the amount of protein in it (from other added ingredients) and, since the idea is certainly to reduce protein as far as possible, it may be that you need to give tinned green tripe maybe every 3rd day, using a specific renal dogfood for the other two days. This would probably help balance things out - and the rotation may maintain Darbie's interest in food too.

I have double-checked Trippet Green Beef Tripe's ingredients and my suspicions seem to be accurate. Basically, it is a great and very simple dog food, containing mostly green tripe and water (both brilliant for CKF dogs). However, there is some garlic in it and some carrageenan gum (both these are somewhat controversial ingredients for long term and continuous feeding, when this is the only diet being fed. In addition to this, the Trippet varieties have no added minerals or vitamins, unlike most renal dog foods available.

So, in short, I would rotate the green tripe (tinned) with a tinned food designed for dogs with kidney failure, just so Darbie gets some of the valuable added minerals and vitamins and maintains the low protein based regime.

Tony x
Thanks for this, Tony. Thank goodness Darbie loves her KD ( lamb ). I was planning to use the Trippet in small amounts to hide her pills. I will count these as "treats" towards her daily food intake. She averages about 5-6 marble size balls which conceal 2 pills each in the course of a day ( 5am-9pm). She also enjoys steamed baby carrots & a tablespoon of 100% whole milk yogurt drizzled with raw honey. She has no complaints, but I do get concerned with her intake of protein as her creatinine is higher.

Thanks for your continued care!
Lynne & Darbie
Hi.Protein isn't the problem many people think it is - and even many vets say it is - it's the quality of protein that's important. Protein is needed to break down and utilize carbohydrates in a dog's system, and the carbs are needed for energy and vitality. Manufactured dog foods tend to have poor quality protein meats (stuff that is often discarded from human consumption grade production of meat and poultry), and these poor quality proteins are much more difficult for a dog's kidneys to deal with, and cause more toxins to be produced. High quality protein (ordinarily in specially manufactured renal dog food) or in human grade poultry and meats, is easier for a dog's kidneys to deal with and produces less toxin build-up.

You are doing everything right, so just keep going with the regime. Darbie would thank you, if she could, for all the care and attention you are devoting to her.

Tony
You are the sweetest person and I ( and so many others ) can't thank you enough for your integrity!

Darbie thanks you:)
You are very kind. Anything I do here is done out of love and kindness for our dogs ... and the many friends I meet along the way. Tony x
Hey Tony!

Back home safe and sound. Hope all is well with you, the forum, and all friends passing by.

Darbie was a bit off days before we left for Cape Cod. She was eating 1/2 of her KD meals and hiding pills in food was very difficult. My shipment of Trippet's Green Tripe & Salmon Oil arrived the day before we left. The tripe worked to hide pills for a few days, but then Darbie turned against it ( I think you're so right about the garlic & "gum" in there may have bothered her stomach )-Oddly, she didn't want anything to do with the salmon oil
which shocked me. She was feeling miserable. She was barely eating,drinking or moving. When she drank water she vomited.She would later eat unsalted Ritz crackers which helped keep the water down. Although she was peeing, her stool was minimal.We honestly felt we were not going to get her home. We took a leap of faith and maintained her IV fluids, feeding her small meals of chopped chicken, steak and fish mixed with 4% cottage cheese, cucumbers and watermelon for snacks. She was eating and within days she bounced back with a good appetite, energized, and playful. She even shocked us by wanting to play by the seashore!

Now that we are home, we have continued the same regimin. Although she sleeps a lot, she seems content overall. It's quality of life.

I don't know how I feel about discussing this with the vet at Darbie's next visit. Both my partner and brother felt we should stop the bloodwork as it may prove nothing at this point. I do not want to compromise my relationship with the vet and I need to continue the sub Q fluids.

Thank You Always!

Fondly,
Lynne & Darbie
Hi Lynne. Yes, there are often these hiccups in health with this disease. The good thing here is that Darbie is certainly having many more good days than bad, so just keep doing what you're doing. The cycle of food association with sickness can be frustrating, but dogs are good at forgetting what they associate with sickness and after a few days they will often eat what they previously wouldn't. The sub Qs are no doubt keeping the toxin levels down for now, so yes, keep this up. As to your questioning doing bloodwork ... this is really a very personal matter and one for your own judgement. If I were in your position, I would do it, but that's just me being the kind of person I am. I would want to have all the information possible, good or bad, just so I could formulate an opinion about quality of life, state of health and any possible changes that might need making. But some people are the complete opposite and would prefer to err on instinct and observation.

I'm so pleased Darbie bounced back and, apart from the down-days, enjoyed the change of scene.

Tony x
Fitmaltesemom uploaded new photos
Sep 29
Kaymbsc joined this group
Welcome them!
Sep 24
Reniars commented on photo
Sep 16