Sammie Update
Thanks Tony for teaching me how to post.  So...the Sammie update.  She is down to 7.8 lbs.....most of her life she was steady at 13.5 lbs.....poor baby is so skinny.  The vet's comment was "she a little bit worse" but not as bad as she was at the beginning of the year.  Her red cell count is slightly up,  Her crea is 3.2,,,,,,in January it was 4.9.....went down to 2.8...now up to 3.2.   Bun is 84.....in January it was 108...went down to 68....now 84.

Vet wants us to try to get her weight up....suggested the cottage cheese.  She does not want to start the fluids yet...feels it's not time.  Sammie eats 5 to 6 times a day and she said feed her more often if she wants it.  Tony...I'm going to read your article and see if I can find other things to give her.  

I was concerned about giving her too much protein but vet said recent studies show that if the body isn't getting enough protein, it takes it from somewhere else in the body and that affects other organs.  It's such a balancing act!!

That's all for now.....any suggestions are MORE than welcome.

Regards,
Charlene and Sammie

Charlene,

You have the sweetest soul...Oftentimes, I look at Darbie ( and all pets) and say ( well, sing... ) " THIS IS A DOG'S LIFE!!" ...Knowing full well she's spoiled and loved from the deepest space of my being...Sammie had a wonderful and blessed dog's life...

As I look over my shoulder, there is a glass cabinet displaying wooden memory (picture) boxes. Four amazing babies over the past 20 yrs. The loss of each left a huge, empty agonizing void inside me, but once I held their ashes I felt great peace...My baby girls were in my arms again to stay until the end of time. I am comforted with the nearness of them:)

You will cry for Sammie, of course you will....I still do. I know someday your agony will lighten and when you cry you will smile at her memory. I know I would bury myself in Bonnie's affection:)

I will always look forward to your support and kindness...You are in my prayers:)

Fondly,
Lynne & Darbie:)
Hello again Charlene ... another day ... and each new day brings new challenges, a new sense of progression and (hopefully) a slightly easier heart. We never forget our best friends. They are with us in our hearts and heads every day for the rest of our lives.

Picking up the ashes is a momentous event. It's hard to see the ashes, because it means it's real, not a dream. And then there's a decision to be made about what we do with the ashes. Keep them, scatter them, either way, it's not easy. But just remember, the ashes are only Sammie's body, her heart and soul are with you and will always be with you.

I wish you a peaceful day.

Tony x
Hey Charlene,

Just want you to know I think of you often and hold you close to my heart...

Please cuddle with Bonnie and give her a kiss from us!

Fondly,

Lynne and Darbie

Hi Tony:

I have a shelf of pet ashes and I've told everyone that when my time comes, I'm to get spinkled with the ashes of all my babies!!  So at least I know Sammie's remains will be with me.  

I don't cry as much each day but going to bed is horrible!!  I miss having her sweet face on my pillow with me and listening to her dreaming!  She was quite the vocal dreamer!!  I cry myself to sleep and cry when I wake up.  I know it will get easier....but you're right, I'll never forget her.

Hope all is well with you and your babies.

Regards,
Charlene  

Thank you Lynne.  I've been trying to spoil Bonnie...but today she's a little mopey so I think it finally hit her.  I have to go to Chicago tomorrow for 2 days for work and I hate leaving her.  Thankfully Daddy will be here but I don't want her to think everyone is going away!!

My husband is terrific and will spoil her completely.

It's so lonely her without Sammie.  We're all feeling it.

Hugs, wags and kisses to Darbie from all of us....and hugs to you too!  When does Darbie have her next bloodwork>

Regards,
Charlene
Sorry for the loss of Sammie.

Robert
Hey Charlene:)

I'm thinking you are in Chicago now as I type. I wish I responded faster these past days ... ( dealing with proposals for land development).

I don't want you to feel alone. Please know your bond with Sammie by your pillow reached the deepest heart of me. My heart ached...Truly crushed when you spoke of the ashes of your babies.

I wish to be cremated. As a Norwegian, I always felt all pet boxes, including my own, would be cast out to the ocean ( well, Herring Cove, Cape Cod) on a viking long boat...set afire! This is a traditional Viking funeral. Of course, my brother feels otherwise:)..

.If anyone is listening, make sure your Last Will and Testament ( final wishes) is updated!

God bless you Charlene., I hope I can make you smile...

Always here whether your 300 miles away or 2000! ( I'm bad at math, but you get it..)

Fondly,
Lynne & Darbie
P.S....

I am feeling you separation anxiety in the strongest way....But, I know Daddy will give Bonnie love x2.

Bonnie is suffering loss. Our pets are so intuitive to every sound in the house, every smell, and most of all, our laughter and pain. I know when I cry, Darbie comforts me. She is the most compassionate being I have known.  

I know when you come home, Bonnie will burst at the seams!

Wishing you peace and comfort.

Lynne & Darbie
Hi Charlene. Just a very quick word to say ... I know these early days are the hardest ... and you are very much in our thoughts. Stay strong. Tony x
Thank you Robert.
Lynne:

Thank you for understanding my feelings.  I'm SOOOO happy to be home.  Bonnie did burst at the seams and is curled up next to me.  I couldn't imagne any place I'd rather be....only wish Sammie was curled on my lap.

You are so right about last will and testament.  I am always preaching to people.  I even have a clause for who my babies are to live with along with money for them to be spoiled.  The will states the money is to be distributed before anyone else gets their share.......dogs first!!

Bonnie sends tail wags and I send hugs.  Lots of smooches for Darbie!!

Regards,
Charlene
Thank you Tony for taking the time to think about me and to check in.  Today is a week ago we lost Sammie.  It's been the longest week!!  I'm not crying as much the last couple days but it's amazing how all of a sudden I break down.  After dinner tonight I automatically went to Sammie's dog bed to see if she wanted to go out.  It took my breath away when I realized what I did.

I think I have fried my brain with grief.  I find myself doing weird things.  Tonight I ran the microwave for 5 minutes and never put anything in there.  I'm scaring myself with some stupid mistakes I've made.  I did finally sleep last night and I'm hoping I sleep tonight.  It may be the fact that I haven't sleep well.

Hope all is well with you.  If you ever need anything, please ask.  There will be many of us here for you!!

Regards,
Charlene
Hi Charlene. All the strange things we do are absolutely natural during the grieving process. I did write a piece about this, but it may be too early for you to read it. Maybe best to print it out then read it in a few weeks time. http://www.infobarrel.com/When_a_Pet_Dog_Dies

I was doing the same when I lost BB. I would start making her breakfast, then realise she's not there; or take two tennis balls to the beach, then realise there's only one dog I'm taking there; or reach down from the sofa to stroke her, then remember. The worst part was waking up in the morning and remembering. That was definitely the hardest start of the early days.

Bearing in mind our dogs form the biggest part of our daily routines, it's perhaps no wonder we find ourselves automatically doing things that were a big part of our day. It's hard, but it does slowly get easier. We don't ever forget - but we do adapt.

Give Bonnie a huge hug from me. Take care of yourself ... and spoil yourself with something nice, because you deserve it.

Tony x
Dearest Charlene,

I was away ...Please know I hold your hand and walk beside you:)

I truly understand the "mind" set/routine of daily living superseding days after a beloved baby died. Very emotionally painful. Please know .... don't question yourself when your beautiful mind has fought for Sammie and continues to do so after the fact. I remember the intense "empty house" syndrome . Your words truly resounded within me as I will never forget the heartache. When Darbie was so sick, I was devastated in grieve...Poor Darbie hadn't died yet, but I could actually feel my soul shattering into 1,000 pieces.

It is amazing how many people avoid the issue of final wishes. I , too, have made provisions for Darbie in the event of some catastrophic event. There are so many images of devoted pets mourning upon the death of there owners.No one on this planet Earth can tell me that animals( great or small) don't have a soul. They have a greater chance to enter Heaven's Gates....:)

Charlene, my love to you during these difficult days...When you hold Bonnie ( who is grieving...), please hold her 2x longer:)

Fondly,

Lynne & Darbie
Your memory made me cry...No matter how many years go by, our love and devotion to beloved pets who have graced our lives is immeasurable. Their brief lives and capability of love shared with us is beyond any love known .

My partner and I contemplated a scenario if the house was afire and Darbie was inside. No power on this earth could hold either of us back to reach her and bring her to safety.

Charlene, I say this to you, as you did this in the course of Sammie's disease. I know you are wonderful and blessed for your great love.

Fondly,

Lynne & Darbie

Lynne:

Your words go right to my soul and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  It is amazing how I turn to you and Tony for comfort......I have friends who like animals but none seem to understand how much I love mine!!  While I am going about my daily business, my grief is still so fresh.

You made me smile when you mentioned how a there wasn't anyone who could keep you from entering a burning house to save Darbie.  I have so many contingency plans people think I'm nuts!!  When we had cats, I kept extra pillow cases in each room in case of a fire so I could put them in the pillowcases to rescue them.  I even have the stickers on the door so firemen know there is a dog inside!!

We are so lucky and blessed that our partners feel the same way.   I've been married for 32 years and couldn't love my husband any more then when I watch him with our pets...in good times and bad.

Hope you are having a good weekend with Darbie.  Give her hugs from Bonnie and me.

Regards,
Charlene
Charlene....Then we are soul mates:)

Please know I think of you each day!  These feelings are so unique because they are between You and Sammie. I feel so badly that you are in situations where you need to grieve and you are forced to bottle up your feelings and compartmentalize them. Be kind to yourself:)

Oh my, partner & I ( together 23 yrs and forever laughing )  always have an emergency plan where we would soak wet towels and cover Darbie first. She's rarely alone. Both of us would suffer major burns and bad hair days as long as Darbie is alive and fills our hearts with joy:)

Blessings to You, Hubbie & Bonnie:)

Fondly,
Lynne & Darbie:)
Charlene,

I speak of you with such affection amongst family and friends. Most are pet owners, either beloved dog, cat or bird....I even had a mom of a ferret burst into tears.

I told them how special you are and how you saved Sammie to her last days.
You have quite a fan club now...I hope you feel their extended prayers of comfort and peace.

My love to you, Charlene. Please give Bonnie a rub on her belly from me:)

Fondly,
Lynne & Darbie
Oh Lynne....thank you so much.  My husband thinks we must have been friends in the past!  When I'm on my computer, he always asks "are you talking with Lynne!!"  Funny how you check on me and some of my friends don't even call.  They don't understand the grief.

Tomorrow is 2 weeks already that Sammie's been gone.  I cried all the way home from work today.  It seems like an  eternity yet I can't believe it's already 2 weeks.  I still can't move any of her things.  

Bonnie is benefitting from more walks, hugs and kisses!!  I'll certainly give her your belly rub....one of her favorite things.  

Check out Tony's recent post.....having some concerns about Sally......so time for us to be here for him.

Big big hugs to Darbie.......I know my Sammie is watching over her!!  Think of her (and you) every day.  You'll have to tell me your partner's name because I don't want to leave her out of my prayers,,,,,but hate to keep referring to her as"the partner"!!

My best,
Charlene
Hey Charlene,

I just caught up with Tony...It doesn't seem fair, does it?...He's helped us so unselfishly over the months. But hope and prayers seems in order for tonight.

I love the thought of "Sammie Angel" watching over Darbie...How comforting!

Kisses, rubs and hugs to Bonnie!

Fondly,
Lynne, Doll & Darbie!!
Hey Charlene:)

My windows start page/display features a collage of Darbie photos from over the years...Your "Sammie" as Darbie's guardian angel touched my heart so much:)....I'm working on pasting Sammie's picture "watching over" Darbie:)

Be kind and patient to your self within this grief. I know Bonnie will continue to heal your broken heart.

Fondly,

Lynne & Darbie

Oh Lynne.......that touches my heart so much!!  As expected some days are better than others.  The weekends are so hard because I'm home more.  Today we took Bonnie to the outlet mall in the Berkshires and she loved seeing all the people/dogs.  It really made me miss Sammie though....she used to love to go to the outlets.

I think we're exhausting Bonnie trying to keep her busy!!!

Read your post to Tony on how Darbie is doing.  I love that she gets a new toy after every sub-q!!!  How funny that she knows she's getting one.   I know my Sammie is watching over her......she was always so loving!!

Hugs and kisses to Darbie.

Our best,
Charlene and Bonnie
Charlene, that made me giggle. My dogs did the camping in the woods and hiking trails. Sweet Sammie loved to go to the outlets:)...I pictured her in a pink designer sweater with bling! We always pass by the Berkshire Outlets going back and forth from the Cape. It's been years and I bet it's expanded!

Maybe there's a dog store there to stock up on squeaky toys! BIG LOTS has been good to us:)

How are you doing, Charlene? Please know Darbie sends hugs and kisses back!

Fondly,

Lynne and Darbie
No bling for Sammie......she thought she was a Rottweiler!!!  But she did have winter coats and a rain coat!!

I didn't see any dog stores at the outlets.....I'll have to research that.  There is one in another outlet we go to in Connecticut.....they even have dog walks at 10:00 on Sunday mornings...pretty cool!!

Today is a tough day.....been three weeks today and I had to throw away the flowers my friend sent me (they were really wilted!!).  My friend's dog had to have ACL surgery today so it helped to focus on her instead of feeling sorry for me for one day!!  

Give Darbie kisses from us.

Regards,
Charlene

Hi Charlene. Three weeks is no time at all. Just let it out, when it needs to be let out. There were times a year after BB passed that I could be almost anywhere, including while doing some retail therapy when you'd think I would be distracted enough, and next minute the tears would be rolling down my face. It kinda just happens, even now from time to time.

I'm busy doing strange things today. I have a huge megabag of horticultural chippings arriving, which I then need to wheelbarrow to a hosta bed in the back garden. This all came from a tv program I saw about snails and how they don't like to slither over horticultural chippings - and every year the snails devour my hostas almost completely, so I'm just hoping this deters them next year. I don't know what time the delivery is, so Giro is sat half way up the stairs in the hallway checking for me ... Sally, on the other hand, is leaving Giro to his duties and is catching up on her beauty sleep. Ha.

Hope you have a nice day. Giro and Sally send hugs.

Tony x
I will never believe their is a time constraint on love & loss. Whether recent or many years apart, love never dies. I say this as witness to people who weep at the memory of loved ones who died many years ago.

You loved Sammie as "baby pup ", you lost Sammie after 14 years. Your grief is real and it pains your heart.

Please know I balance you:)

Re: Rotweiller - I have to share that my (female) American Eskimo, Tiffany, went to a groomer. She came out with a bow on top of her head. I always laughed. She scowled at me. I  always left the bow in her hair until my parents could see. They laughed. She ran straight to backyard and rolled in cat ****....No kidding:)
Hi Lynne:

Hope you and Darbie are doing well.  Thinking of you

Regards,
Charlen
Hey Charlene!

I think of you often! Darbie is doing very well! Sept and Oct always seem hectic...It's like knowing winter is coming and things must get done before the snow flies! Of course, my brother reads the Farmer's Almanac and says this winter is going to be brutal..Just great:(. Good old Walmart has Christmas decorations out already! We still haven't seen a fall leaf drop from the trees!

Craziness!

How are you doing, Charlene? How's sweet Bonnie? I hope she's basking in all your TLC!

Fondly,

Lynne & Darbie

Hey Charlene:)

I think of you and Bonnie often:)....Darbie is getting her blood work on Thursday. I'm anxious as we are driving up to the mountains/lake regions of Maine ( 6hrs).

I'm bringing Sammie's picture with us and tuck in Darbie's bed:)

Fondly,

Lynne & Darbie
Hi Lynne. Fingers crossed for good results tomorrow. Tony
Lynne:

I will be saying extra prayers for Darbie tomorrow.  You are such an awesome Mom.  Darbie knows how much you love her and she will continue to fight!!  She'll do it for you!!!

Hope you can feel my hugs and Bonnie's kisses.  I know so well what it's like waiting for the results.

Enjoy every moment in Maine....hope Darbie gets to have some outings with you.

Keep us posted on the results.

Thank you for thinking of Sammie Angel.  It fills my heart that you know she's watching over Darbie!!

Regards,
Charlene
Sammie Angel is watching over Darbie:)

CREA=3.9   ( from 4.4 )
BUN  = 53   ( from 61 )

Thank You and Bonnie for your prayers hugs & kisses!
We are heading to Rangeley Maine and I know Darbie is going to have the time of her life! She is so fascinated with birds, hawks and Canadian geese. She stares fixated and wags her tail. Her head will follow a bird in flight from one end of the sky to the other! Now she can lay on the dock and stare at mallard ducks and loons! Quite a change from her ocean adventures:)

I'm going to "head up front" and thank Tony.

Thank you for being here for me:)

Fondly,
Lynne & Darbie
We're always here for you!! Hope Darbie sees some loons (I love them) and maybe a Moose!!

Regards,
Charlene
Hey Charlene!

Back from Rangeley ME...Fantastic time! Very proud of Darbie as she tolerated 7 hr road trip each way. We sat in the back seat and her head stayed on my lap. Made a few stop to make sure she drank fluids and peed (me, too!  Not used to traveling without the RV:))

Darbie love the clean air infused with pine! The loons were abundant calling around the lake. Of course, there were ducks and geese that kept her fascinated! She fell right into a routine at the lake with food/IV fluids and adjusted well coming home, though she was happily exhausted!

Sammie Angel stayed with her....My pic is for you:)

Fondly,
Lynne & Darbie
So happy to hear Darbie enjoyed the trip and did so well.  The pic of Sammie is awesome.....she truly is (and was) an angel. Glad you enjoyed Maine....I love anything outdoors and especially in the fall.

I have news that I can't believe myself........we adopted a new dog.  There was no way I was going to before Spring but during our vacation we missed Sammie so much we decided not to wait.  So on Tuesday night we brought home an approx. 2 year old, 15 lb. dog who came from a Tennessee kill shelter (kill and shelter never seem like two words that belong together!!).  I'm trying to upload a picture but having computer issues.

We still miss Sammie horribly and I still cry every day over her, but my heart is big enough to love another!!

Regards,
Charlene
Dear Charlene!

I cried like I was having a new child in the family!

I'm an AUNT!

God bless You!  I am so excited beyond words!!!

Our hearts will keep Sammie ( Your undying love ) forever ... Always:)

I will always look forward to hear more!

Can't wait for pics!

Love & Paws!

Lynne & Darbie:)
Thanks Lynne...it is so exciting but I am missing Sammie so much!!  She was such a big part of my heart!!  I still can't move some of her things or take down all the cards we received.  My husband thought we would use Sammie's harness and leash for Natasha.....boy did I squash that immediately....THOSE WERE SAMMIE'S.  I'm lucky that he's so easygoing.

Bonnie and Natasha are doing well .... Natasha has a slight problem with dog aggression but they've come a long way since Tuesday.  They actually play a little each day.

Having my usual problems uploading pictures....where are you loading them....maybe I'm in the wrong place.

Cold weather is coming tomorrow so snuggle extra with Darbie!  I'm sure she's exhausted from her vacation.

Hugs from all of us,
Charlene
Hello Charlene. That's great news about Natasha. What a lovely thing to do - and what a lucky dog to be rescued by you both. Sammie would be so proud of you, I'm sure. Keep us informed how things go. All my dogs through the years have been rescues, and they all come with their own baggage, but almost all settle after a while and just become ... well, part of the family. Tony x
Hey Charlene:)

Doll and I were reminiscing about our beloved Schipperke the other day...The tears come easily, but that's the nature of love:). Within 10 days of agonizing over the loss of Paco, I went to the Humane Society and there was Darbie:) It was odd as we were all thrown together in a confusing way. She was already 3 years old and we had no clue of what made her tick and she just stared at us. The bonding process was a journey, but the rest is history!

Bonnie seems like she will be the best "sister" to Natasha! I always loved the idea of having two pups too keep each other company. Best wishes each and everyday!

Looking forward to pics ( hint )!

Fondly,
Lynne & Darbie
Tony and Lynne:

Bonnie and Natasha are bonding unbelievably well.  I've never seen Bonnie so tired.  It's been a long time since we've had a youngster!!  They play long and hard
hard to type with a dog in my lap!!!  I'm still not able to post pictures.....Tony, I fprgot what you told me the last time I couldn't post them.....please remind me!

Doggie kisses from Bonnie and Natasha to all of you and your babies!!  It's good to smile again (although still mixed with tears).

Regards,
Charlene
Hi Charlene. Go to your profile page (roll mouse cursor over the My MedHelp tab at top of page, then click on Profile). Directly under the Photos box you should see blue text that says Upload A Photo. Click on it. Next click on Choose A File, which will open a new pop-up browser window - find the photo you want to upload and click on it. Next click on Upload Photo (the green button). It can take a while for photos to upload, depending on the size of the photo, so go make a cuppa while you are waiting. Once finished, your photo should be in your photos section.

Tony
Charlene & Family,

I am so happy for all of you ...What a wonderful chapter in your lives!

"One door closes, another door opens..." is an understatement. Sammie's door never closed. For you to move forward and open your hearts to Natasha is a true testimony of your unconditional love for Sammie:) I can't say who I'm happier for!! Bonnie needed Natasha as much if not more than anyone! To know they've bonded so beautifully must give you great joy:)

I'll wait patiently for pics!

Fondly, Lynne & Darbie:)
Tony,

I just love the recent pic of Giro and Sally! My first reaction was to go down to the floor and give Darbie a huge bear hug!!

They are adorable!

Lynne & Darbie:)
Hi Lynne. Yes, they are adorable. Giro's the old man now, having just passed his 10th birthday, while Sally is only 5. She still has her "issues" as a rescued greyhound, but she's settled in really well over the last couple of years. Although she's the dominant one of the two, she still occasionally looks to Giro to take the lead, particularly when out and about and running on the beach. The weather here is atrocious at the moment with gale force wind and rain, so they've missed their usual visit to the beach. Just hoping it improves a little tomorrow. Give Darbie a hug from me - and have a cyber hug yourself too. Tony x
Lynne and Tony:

So the problem is my tablet.  I e-mailed pictures to my work computer and was able to post.  So...you have the first two pictures of Natasha on her first night home.  More to follow.

Thank you for your continued support.....I think the support on this forum is what helped me make the decision to adopt again and love another rescue.  I was so distraught over Sammie (and some days still am) but I am moving onward thanks to you all!!

Hugs and tail wags to Darbie, Giro and Sally.....going to check out Giro and Sally's new pictures now.

My best always,
Charlene
Hi Charlene. Loooove the pictures of Natasha. She looks so cosy there in her comfy forever home bed. Giro and Sally send woofs to you, Natasha and Bonnie. Tony x
Charlene!

NATASHA IS PRECIOUS! Do you have any idea what mix breed she is? She looks close to Bonnie' s size so that must be an eye opener for Bonnie:) I hope they're getting along like peas and carrots still:)

Tony, I have to remember you're in the UK as we just suffered a windy, rainy Nor'easter that lasted several days here, too! Very difficult to explain to the pups that they can't play outside:(. So Darbie was pulled outside between bouts of torrential rain, only to find ourselves caught in a downpour 100ft from the house! Thank goodness she is receptive to her hooded rain coat! As I look outside, it looks like our first blue sky in days! Hope you've made up lost time at the beach with Giro and Sally!

Darbie and I send love and best wishes!!

Fondly,
Lynne & Darbie:)
Hi Lynne:

No clue what Natasha's breed is......I say she'a all goofball.  Bonnie is 63 lbs.....Natasha is officially 14.1 lbs.  Great visit with the vet....Natasha is in good health.  I had bloodwork done on both girls so I'd have a baseline......learned my lesson from Sammie.  Vet called and said both their reports were great...YEAH!  I'll get some additional pictures soon of Bonnie and Natasha together.  

Natasha did chew the wire to my husband's computer today....have never had a dog do that.  Glad it wasn't plugged in.  We'll have to work on that behavior.

We had the same weather here.....today was beautiful though.  The girls do very well going for walks!!

Give Darbie big big hugs from us...and many doggie kisses.

Regards,
Charlene
Wonderful to hear that both pups are on the road to happy and healthy:)

WOW, I honestly thought Bonnie was "smaller" and Natasha was "larger than what you just said! Optical illusion! I hope you can send a pic with both girls side by side!

That is odd & very frightening  that Natasha went for the computer wire! I would never think to unplug anything unless we were going away for weeks!
At 2 years old, she may not have grown out of that. Interesting, I'd love to know her story....Not sure if a rubber toy would help or hinder this behavior?

Maybe you should hand her your tablet! HAHA!

Enjoy your beautiful days ahead bonding:)

Fondly,

Lynne & Darbie:)

You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Catboo joined this group
Welcome them!
Dec 11
yippee6 joined this group
Welcome them!
Dec 05
EmDeeGee joined this group
Welcome them!
Dec 03