1527?1401794977
Chronic Kidney Failure in Dogs User Group
Scared
About This Group:

A group for information and discussion and for emotional support for owners and companions of dogs with Chronic Kidney Failure. This is a complex and traumatic illness and affects about a third of all dogs over the age of 12yrs. While there is (as yet) no cure for this disease, there are things that can be done to improve and extend the quality of life for our best friends - and when all else fails, there are people that have traveled this path already that can offer empathy and support to grieving owners. If you wish to ask questions or talk about a particular dog, please head your thread with your dog's name, as this will help identify the discussion.

Founded by tonyb286 on June 3, 2014
29 members

Scared

Yesterday was Darbie's blood test:
Crea= 6.2  BUN=56 ...Double from April:(

Dr. Vet looked at me hard and said "NO" do not classify as stage 4! We believe! So Darbie is staying on KD diet with extra sub Q fluids. I bought green tripe and salmon oil. Just short of Heaven and Earth, I will do the best I can until Darbie smiles at me and shows me our last goodnight lullabye. Peace & Comfort to all.
Hi Lynne. The results are not good, but certainly not the worst I have seen. Talk to your vet about a diuretic called Mannitol, which may help Darbie produce more urine and therefore flush out more of toxins. This can be helpful in reducing creatinine, which is the higher of the two readings (BUN is about 200% more than normal, while creatinine is about 500% higher). You are doing all the right things ... renal diet, IV fluids, caution with anything containing protein and/or phosphorus. It's probably a waiting game to see if the levels reduce. The green tripe and salmon oil should also help, and I would also ask the vet about any vitamin supplements that might be needed.

I'm not sure what your vet has suggested, but I would hope another blood test in about a month may be very beneficial to see if things are heading the right way. I would suggest if the next results are static or starting to reduce, then that would be a reassurance.

My thoughts are with you. I know this is a dreadfully stressful and worrying time. Be strong.

Tony x

PS Dopey me ... I double posted this reply. It was meant to stay in the User Group, but somehow got into the forum as well.
My Oliver who is 15 will be having his blood test on June 21st. He went into severe kidney failure on April 7th and was hospitalized. Pretty sure you may have read my story titled Oliver Maltese.  His BUN was 157 and Crea 4.1.  In May all his kidney levels went back to normal. He is currently on KD Diet. He is pretty active and has a great appetite.  Oliver actually was diagnosed with Renal disease back in 2009 and has been on a special diet that I prepared for him. The kidney failure that happened a day before his birthday was a total shock.  His vet is totally amazed on how well he is doing.  Oliver has not vomited or exhibited any of the other signs that I thought he would have.  How old is Darbie?  Please keep me posted.
Warm hugs
xoxo
Thanks, Tony,

Darbie does have a 1 month follow up, so I'm keeping a daily diary to evaluate everything we're doing. I want to keep as much as I can the same everyday without too many variables. I do feel safer focusing on the KD as my vet prescribed and will keep good quality proteins to a minimum. I will  rely on the green tripe to hide Darbie's ever growing number of pills. There is no doubt in my mind she will love green tripe...We are heading out to Cape Cod for 2 weeks and I'm nervous. Darbie loves vacationing in the RV by the seashore, but is experiencing weakness in her back legs. We invested in a portable pet loader stairs so she can get in and out of RV easier. I am also bringing Darbie's records in the event of an emergency. There are 2 vets in town whom I will e-mail Monday and discuss my concerns.

Fondly,
Lynne & Darbie
Aren't these numbers extreme from one pet to another! It's a mixed bag...I'm so happy for Oliver- He is blessed to have you!

Darbie was my rescue dog from 2007. The vets estimate her age to be at 10 years old . She has good and "blue" days, but on her good days, she's quite sprite and playful.

Thank you for your encouraging words...Will keep you posted:)

Fondly,
Lynne & Darbie
Hi. I hope Darbie enjoys her recreation by the shore - and you too. Hope you have a great break and no 'issues', though I think you are brilliant in checking vets out as a precaution and taking records with you. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Tony x
Reniars commented on photo
Sep 16
Reniars added pics of all my bbs. ... Comment
Sep 16
Reniars uploaded new photos
Sep 16