Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
~* Hoarse Cough~*

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

~* Hoarse Cough~*
I have been dignosied as having copd have a constant cough and I am
constantly coughing up congestion which I believe is from having acid reflux.
My question is if the congestion that I have is due to acid reflux
could this be causing my cough to sound hoarse from the acid eating at
the lining of my throat therefore eating at my lynax also?
Yes, the reflux may well be responsible for your cough and congestion and yes, the reflux could also affect your voice box and vocal cords, thus modifying the hoarse sound of the cough.  Reflux into the voice box is much more common than many doctors and other medical personnel realize.  The diagnosis should be established, with certainty, and treated vigorously.  Medicine and dietary cautions usually suffice, but surgery is sometimes required to adequately control reflux.

Let me add, that reflux is more common in individuals with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), but the diagnosis of COPD should be based on clinical findings, spirometry and chest x-ray.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker