Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
2mm nodule Lung specialist said no follow up needed.

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

I was sent to see a lung specialist after a lower abdominal CT scan showed a 2mm lung nodule. I was being checked for blood in the urine at first and they found a small cyst on my kidney. The follow up to that exam was a renal sonogram which did not even show the cyst. I was sent for a second CT scan of the chest and this confirmed my lung nodule. I went to a Pulmanary specialist where they performed a bunch of breathing tests, and a small check up. The doctor said that this was so small that no further follow up is nessesery at all and they radiation I'd be exposed to wouldn't be worth it. The day prior to this exam I began to feel what was a cold coming on but turned out to be a tickle in my throat and this dry light cough. No blood in my mucus just kind of annoying little tickle in my throat. Should I be concerned that the lung speciaist overlooked something? I've had my GP, radiologist and a lung doctor all look at the CT scans and they have all said that I'm fine. Just a bit worried since I can't get a follow up on my kidney situation for another week or so.

I'm 30, non smoker, 5'5" 160lbs, fairly active. Suffer from anxity and sesonal and animal alergies (allergies). All blood work came back normal at the time of my original checkup which found the trace blood in my urine ( almost a month ago)
In the category of lung nodules, 2mm is considered very small, and very unlikely, because of its size, to be anything other than benign, especially in a 30 year old non-smoker.  The tickle in your throat, the cough and mucus would not be related to this tiny nodule.  From the information provided, the lung specialist did not overlook anything and the recommendation that you not have follow-up CT scans of the lungs is sound.  For your own peace of mind you might want to request a chest x-ray, with special attention to the site of the nodule, every 6 months for a year or 2.

If the report of blood in your urine was valid, that issue does need to be resolved and further testing should be done, until it is.  In any event you should have repeat urine exams, periodically.