Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
31 with Copd

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

31 with Copd

I am 31 years old and smoked about a pack a day for the last 10 years.
I have been having sharp pains when I inhale deeply, especially in the morning.
As the day goes on these pains become mild but they are still there.
I have some tightness that is painful and some pains that come and go in the heart area.
Heart was checked and its good.

My Primary care physician said it could be pleurisy (I have had these pains on and off for almost 2 years) but recommended that I see a lung specialist.

My FEV1 is 74%
My FVC is 80%
and my FEV1/FVC is 93%
Still waiting on the alpha 1 test results.

I'm 31. What is my quality of life going to be like in 10, 20, 30 Years?
I have quit smoking!
Chest pain, including pleurisy is not a symptom of uncomplicated COPD.  What I mean by the word “uncomplicated” is pure COPD, without infection, lung collapse etc.

COPD, with a major chronic bronchitis component can lead to subacute infection and, if that involves the pleural surface of the lung, that can cause pain.  My suggestion is that you and your doctor consider other possible causes of your sharp pains, and follow through on his/her suggestion that you see a pulmonologist.

That is good news that your heart “was checked and was good”.   Whatever you do, hold to your decision stop smoking to preserve your heart and lungs for the “long haul”.  You should never smoke again!  I can’t tell you what your life will be like in 20-30 years but I can assure you that it will be incredibly better if you quit smoking than if you had not quit smoking.

The limited pulmonary function test results you provided are not consistent with the diagnosis of COPD and may even be within normal limits.  Comparison with previous lung testing could be informative.

Good luck
Sorry but I was limited by the 2000 word limit.
I have a follow up with my Doctor in 2 weeks
and would like some advice on what to ask, how to treat,
and really what to do about the chest pains.
Also I have been searching and found that people who quit smoking have increased lung function after several years. Is this true with COPD?
Do I even have COPD?

I'm just a little freaked out.
Thank you for your time and consideration.

- AMLDallas