Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
Apnea

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

Apnea

I posted this in the COPD section since I am sure lots of people have experience with night time assisted breathing, CPAP, BiPap, e.t.

The question of the Doctor and anyone with experience is that I am waking up at least 8 to 10 times a night.  Frequently, on waking my chest muscles feel like they are just breaking a strain to have made me breath. Sort of feels like it just broke a cork plug lose in my throat area. This strain is sometimes so bad the muscles ache for awhile afterward.  I then slightly hyperventilate for 20 or 30 seconds.  Then pass out and rinse and repeat for the next waking up in an hour or so.

Okay, so I am preaty sure I have a significant level of obstructive apnea even though I cannot afford a sleep test.  My Doctor is writing a prescription for a auto adjusting CPAP since I cannot get this sleep study and were taking it from there with the built in softward that can monitor how well its working for me, and whether my daytime symptoms are improving or not.  The usual stuff, gross fatigue, dizziness, so bad sometimes I feel like I am going to pass out and then when I finaly make it through the day I am asleep as soon as I lay down.

What I feel like is that my chest muscles are getting worked to death breaking those Apnea stoppages.

The question for the Doctor is, is this possible, that the intercostal muscles can be tightening so much to force breathing in my sleep that it is straining the ribs and sternum, where I am getting pain and tension in them during the day.

And the question from anyone else reading this that uses assisted breathing at night, is whether you had similiar daytime symptoms, where you felt much more chest tension or pain, and an almost choking, or smothering like sensation from the chest and neck muscles being so tight?  And if you did, did the CPAP help or eventualy get rid of it?
  • Chest Pain (5 replies):
    HI, about a month ago I got the flu for 3 days and a few...[more]
  • Sleep Apnea (1 replies):
    A question to anyone out there useing CPAP. I am preaty...[more]
  • respiratory muscles (1 replies):
    I have recently been diagnosed with Respiratory Dystonia...[more]
  • osa (3 replies):
    my son, age 21,6'6 and about 300lbs has been diagnosed w...[more]
  • Pain under arm (2 replies):
    I'm a 40 yr old woman with COPD and allergy induced asth...[more]
It is entirely possible that the daytime pain and tension of the intercostals and other respiratory muscles is due to these muscles working against marked resistance, during the night.  Same for the accessory neck muscles of respiration.  You are very likely to experience relief of these symptoms, with optimally programmed and applied CPAP or BiPAP.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker