Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
Asthma with Normal PFT's and CXR
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Asthma with Normal PFT's and CXR

I was diagnosed with asthma in 1996 during my last pregnancy at 37. I have had several hospitalizations due to frequent exacerbations. I am an RN of 22 years. I am no longer working due to increasing SOB on exertion, and these exacerbations.
I went to a pulmonologist , and subsequently had PFT's and CXR which were grossly normal. I am confused, as I use my nebulizer 4 times a day and my rescue inhaler prn during the day for shortness of breath. Even though my PFT's were normal, she continued to keep me on my Singulair, Pro-Air HFA, Xopenex and Albuertol for my neb., Spiriva, and the new inhaler Symbacort. My question is this: If my PFT's are normal, should i be taken off my meds?
Note: I was told to go without inhalers and all meds 24 hours prior to PFT's, I ended up in the ER , and was discharged 2 hours prior to PFT's, which my pulmonologist said , that didnt cause my PFT's to be normal. I am confused, why after 11 years, and many ER visits, and 4 hospitalizations, would my PFT's be normal, and what does that mean in regards to my ?? Asthma. I am a smoker, trying to quit.