Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
Bend Trachea

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

Bend Trachea

I have had a chronic cough for 3 years.  The cough is definitely worse in cool or cold weather and it is bad when I eat or drink something cold.  I have been tested for allergies, asthma, acid reflux and sinuses.  All tests came back negative.  Over ten years ago I was told I had a bent trachea.  Would a bent trachea cause a chronic cough?  I am scheduled to go back to the ENT next week.  If a bent trachea is my problem, then should I be seeing an ENT or some other physician?
It would be important to know what is implied by the term, "bent trachea".  This could be internal stenosis, the result of external pressure, for example compression by an aberrant blood vessel or tracheomalacia, which is softening of one wall resulting in partial tracheal collapse, etc.  Any of these could conceivably result in tracheal irritation and cough.  If your problem resides in the trachea, you might want to consider consultation with a pulmonologist who would perform fiberoptic bronchoscopy and then, perhaps, order one or more x-ray tests to further define the abnormality.

The bent trachea was diagnosed over 10 years ago and your cough started only 3 years ago.  The cough could have developed later in response to worsening of the "bent trachea."

If the problem proves to not reside in the trachea, the pulmonologist can then initiate other procedures to discern the source of your cough.

Good luck.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker