Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
Blood in Sputum

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

Blood in Sputum

One day this summer,  I had flem (phlegm) with blood in it. I got a chest x-ray, and CT done in July to rule out anything fatal. Everything came negative, lungs were perfectly normal. Soon after, I was diagnosed with cough variant asthma. I think
I've always had asthma before but I just recently started taking pulmocort.  I am 27 year old female,  quit smoking a year and a half ago, only been smoking for 6 years, and only smoked between 2-8 cigarettes per day.

I just noticed today that my flem (phlegm) contained another speckle of blood. This is not recurrent, and only occur once or twice in about every 2 months (usually for one day or two & only in the morning). Sometimes they are dark, less often they are red.

I don't think it's lung cancer b/c the x-ray and CT all came out negative... my lung expansion is also normal, and I do not have any coughs or any other associated illnesses.

What can be wrong me? What other possible reasons are there?
Reported Report this Spam
Miscategorized
Abuse
This blood is surely not a sign of lung cancer, given your age, your trivial smoking history and the normal chest x-ray and CT scan.  Blood in one's phlegm should never be ignored but you should not need any further testing beyond the imaging you have already had.

And, it should not be assumed that the "speckle of blood" came from your lungs.  The normal CT and x-ray suggest it didn't.  It is just as likely to have originated in your nose, throat or sinuses.  If it occurs again, you should see an ENT specialist, who can examine your upper airways directly with a fiberoptic laryngoscope.  He/she may want to do a CT scan of your sinuses, to be confidently re-assuring.

There is one really remote, rare, benign possibility.  Make note if there is any relationship between the appearance of blood in your mucus, and your menstrual period.  If so, share this information with your doctor.
- Just to clarify this symptom is not recurrent - (every 2months) I experienced this yesterday, June and once maybe a few years before that.