Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
COPD progressively getting worse, possible new symptoms?

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

I am a 26 yr old white female, I am obese, and was diagnosed with COPD a little over two yrs ago.  My COPD is getting progressively worse since this year.  I have been admitted four times since Jan. for a variety of lung issues, ranging from pneumonia and pleurisy, to hypercapnic respiratory failure.  I was just recently informed that my PFT showed that i have lost 40% of my lung function.  In the past two days I have gone from being able to walk around and play with my kids and have a regular amount of urination and BM's, to urinating once to twice per day, severe swelling in my legs, hands, and feet, increased breathing difficulties, more use of my rescue inhaler, and basically can't walk.  The pain in my legs and back is unbearable, even with pain meds.  I'm not sure what to do.  Could this be new symptoms of my COPD,
What you describe suggests that your kidneys may have "shut-down" and that you may have excess fluid in your lungs.  The pain in your legs is likely due to metabolic abnormalities, resultant from a kidney problem.  This is speculation but you must see a doctor immediately to establish a diagnosis and begin the necessary treatment.

These are not chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) symptoms, with the exception that heart failure can occur due to COPD, resulting in excessive fluid retention in the body.

Also, to have bad COPD at age 26 is most unusual, with the exception of an inherited type of COPD/emphysema called alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency.  If you have not been tested for this you should be.  If you have it, your whole family should be tested and you should be treated.  Also, if you have lost 40% of your lung function you still have 60%, which should be enough to allow you to lead a normal life, especially if you take steps to preserve the 60%.

What you have described is a medical emergency and you should seek help immediately.
1 Comment
A related discussion, COPD & Pain was started.