Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
COPD

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

COPD

I'm at a stage 2 of COPD. I know there's no cure. I finally quit smoking after I was put into coma cause I couldn't breath.  They cleaned out my lungs. I was told there was black specks that came out. Here is the questions?  Can I still progress in the stages or will I stay at level 2. Any idea what the black stuff was.thanks
There is no guarantee that you will remain at Stage 2 but your chances of doing so will be greatly increased by smoking cessation.  Two possibilities for the black specks:  1) they could be an indication of some type of fungal growth in your airways or, 2) and this is most likely, the black specks were caused by something you inhaled, in particular something you might have breathed in a highly air-polluted work environment.  You should ask the doctor who “cleaned out” your lungs for his/her interpretation of these specks.

From this point on you should do everything possible to work and live in a clean air environment.

Good luck