Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
COPD and Benadryl

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

COPD and Benadryl

Sinusitis, chronic bronchitis then COPD. All because doctors refused to treat the sinusitis. Because of this I can't afford the meds that are the staple of COPD treatment. But it did lead me into an alternative that works better and with less side effects. Benadryl works on the same principle as does ipratropium but I have never been told to use it. I can't tolerate Advair (causes angina) nor Albuterol (causes worse congestion and coughing). Spiriva was fine but it is too expensive and didn't work for any good amount of time. As a last resort I used some Benadryl. I can walk without bronchospasm; I don't have angina as often; it lasts longer; and it is relatively suitable for my budget. I still need my nebulizer but I don't feel tied down to it now.
I have never been recommended to a specialist because of my poor financial status nor have any of the medical people detailed what to expect, what to do or not do, etc. They didn't perform tests to discover what actually brought on COPD (i.e. fungus, type of infection, genetic mutation, etc.). I feel as if these people look at COPD as a "socially unacceptable disease brought on by my actions" and presume it is their right to disparage everything else I do or say. This is the third "socially unacceptable disease" I have had. Acne then Depression both had stigmas attached at the times I suffered from them. Now both have been found to have a biological basis and have actually become accepable. I discovered that COPD has a biological basis but doctors aren't saying anything.
Why can't someone put a booklet together for indigent people to consult? Why must we go without vital information? We could do better if we had more knowledge available. Last when are doctors going to be taught it is not their place to be judgemental toward their patients? Doctors are consutants, not parents. And we all know that most people don't always do what is good for them.
Tags: copd
  • Donnalee123 (1 replies):
    I have COPD with chronic bronchitis. I am very tired. Ca...[more]
  • chest discomfort (3 replies):
    how is copd defined to one disease, my mother has copd (...[more]
  • COPD (2 replies):
    I just had a chest x-ray sent to my physician. I am unab...[more]
It is good that you found a medicine, Benadryl® (diphenhydramine), which has relieved your symptoms and is readily available to you.  That it has been helpful suggests that part of your problem may be one or more allergies, responsive to the anti-histamine actions of Benadryl® (diphenhydramine).  If it works, use it.  Most, but not all, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is related to cigarette smoking; some is familial, some occupational and, as you suggest, some is genetic.  COPD is not believed to be caused by a fungus and is not considered a “socially unacceptable disease” by anyone at our institution.  Once established, COPD can be worsened by exposure to diesel fumes, by any one of hundreds of inorganic industrial products, by cigarette smoke or pot, and by repeated lung infection, whatever the reason.

There is a great deal of information available on the internet from the National Institute of Health (NIH), the Center for Disease Control (CDC), the American Lung Association (ALA) and major respiratory centers such as Johns Hopkins, the Mayo Clinic and National Jewish Health.

To learn more please read our COPD information by copying and pasting this address

http://www.nationaljewish.org/healthinfo/conditions/copd/index.aspx

into the address window of your internet browser.  To read all of the information available, be sure to click on each of the links on the left.

Good luck.
Hi, yes you CAN get your meds!!!  Please visit this link-cut and paste this!!  There have been TV commercials about this site, and I've got some friends that it's helped!!  You can get all your prescription meds at free or at little cost!!  

https://www.pparx.org/Intro.php
A related discussion, Benadryl use with Emphysema? was started.
A related discussion, diphenhydramine or holistic remedy was started.