Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
COPD and MRSA

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

COPD and MRSA

I was just released from the hospital again. This time it was for COPD Exacerbation. Mt sputum culture came back with MRSA.  I was treated with antibiotics. I have had this problem in the past but I need to know how fatal it can be. My doctor sent me home with antibiotics to take for 7 more days. I haven't been able to get the antibiorics because my insurance won't approve them. I was going to tell my doctor but he left for vacation. My question is was the antibiotics just a precautionary measure or is the MRSA still active. I am totally confused as to what I should do now? Any suggestions would be great.

Thank you,
Lisa
There is no way for us to know if the methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is still active, but that is a likely possibility.  MRSA is resistant to most antibiotics, not just Methicillin.  Two newer drugs are called quinupristin-dalfopristin and linezold.  But there are no large studies to demonstrate their efficacy or superiority to standard therapy.

Unfortunately MRSA can be fatal but it is unlikely that you would have been discharged from the hospital if the infection was not controlled.  Your doctor may be on vacation but you should speak to a doctor who has access to your doctor's office records or the hospital records of your care to answer your question.  Your prescription may have been cautionary or to complete the total recommended days for this treatment.
If the doctor told you to take them for 7 more days then that is what you need to do. Is there anyone that can help you buy them?
This is very serious and should not be taken lightly.
I am waiting for my Dr to get back off of vacation. He will be back Monday. thank you for your help. Can you explain what MRSA with COPD is? I really don't understand it.

Thank you,
Lisa
Hi Lisa,
Have you spoken to your doctor? MRSA with  COPD is a respiratory infection with the staph involved. You need to make sure you are taking your medicine. this could turn to pneumonia and a very dangerous infection. Im interested in what your Dr. had to say.
HI Between,
   Sorry that I haven't responded but I have been in the hospital again. My Doctor put me back into the hospital and started antibiotics again. He said that the MRSA was active. We found out that the antibiotic I needed cost about 1200.00 for 14 pills!  My Doctor got my insurance to approve it and it only cost me 85.00. The name of the antibiotic is Zyvox. I am o.k. now but I just have to finish these antibiotics. Thanks for your help
I have another question. How do you get MRSA? Is it airborn when active? I am very concerned about my grandkids getting this. I am on the antibiotics at home. How do I know when it is active? Thanks for all your help.
Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) can spread to other areas of the body, including the lungs. If the organism is in the nose or is associated with the lungs rather than the skin then it may be passed around by droplet spread from the mouth and nose.
Are you still in the hospital? You must remember to clean and wash hands often. I honestly probably would not have visitors till I knew this was under control.
I know the antibiotics are very expensive, I just had a close friend of mine come out of the hospital for a second time because of MRSA of the skin, which was on his face.
As far as knowing when it is active, I would ask the Dr. who treated me to clarify all my questions, otherwise your going to worry, worry, worry. Just like I do.
I am finally out of the hospital. I am feeling a lot better since taking the antibiotics. Thanks for all your help. I am going to the Dr on Thurs and I am going to have a lot of questions. When I get them I will spread the word. Once again thank you so much. You are appreciated!

Lisa