Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
COPD???
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

COPD???

I had a chest xray taken for tightness in my chest..I am a 36 yr old fit female, The xray said that The cardiac sihoutte and superior mediastinum are within normal limits.Ther is pulmonary hyperinflation suggesting underlying copd.The lung fields are otherwise clear.There is no pneumothorax. The bony structures are within normal limits. The impression is PUlmonary hyperinflation suggesting underlying copd.No acute process is identified.. Does anyone know what this means.. I have quit smoking and have a breathing test on the 21. The only symptom i have is slight shortness of breath if i run a mile.. Any input would be appreciated..Thanks..
Related Discussions
242587_tn?1355427710
You cited the X-ray interpretation, as follows:  “There is pulmonary hyperinflation suggesting underlying copd.”

The term pulmonary hyperinflation when used in this circumstance is a subjective interpretation that might or might not be confirmed by other Radiologists.  Hyperinflation is equally if not more likely to be on the basis of asthma and taken in isolation, unlikely to be a manifestation of COPD in a person your age, especially in a non-smoker (unless your smoking cessation was very recent), who can run a mile while experiencing “slight shortness of breath”.  To put it succinctly, it is very unlikely that you would have COPD and even more unlikely that you would have clinically significant COPD.

While chest X-ray findings may suggest the possibility of COPD, it is not the way to confirm that diagnosis.  Pulmonary function tests performed both before and after the administration of a bronchodilator drug is the gold standard for making the diagnosis of COPD, with any reasonable certainty.  So, don’t lose any sleep worrying that you have COPD but, at the same time, view this as an opportunity to stop smoking for the rest of your life.

Good luck
Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Asthma Tracker