Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
COPD

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

COPD
I was diagnosed with stage 4 COPD  have Alpha 1 Anti-trypsin defiency, my questions are 1) Where is the best climate to live in for this type of disease, and 2) what type of  excercises can I do to lose the weight, I have a treatmill, and am on oxygen when I use the treadmill, and I watch what I eat, but not losing the weight, I am 5'5 and at 176, I used to be 120, I so desperately want to lose this weight, I have tried for over 2 years, I had my thyroid checked and nothing showed  up, so could it be because of this stupid COPD.
I do not believe that there is a “best place” to live for persons with Alpha-1 deficiency COPD.  The best exercise and the safest is walking each day.  Given the demonstrated fall of your blood oxygen level  to 80% with exercise, you will probably require supplemental oxygen.  This would be in conjunction with optimum medical therapy and the regular exercise program that should have been prescribed by the Pulmonary Rehab people.  In fact, it would be a good idea for you to return to that Rehab Group for reevaluation.

If not already evaluated, you should be checked to find out if you might be a candidate.  I also recommend that you visit the Alpha-one Foundation for further information- http://alpha-1foundation.org/

Good luck.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker