Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Expert Forum
Can someone have COPD at a young age?

This forum is for questions and support regarding COPD, coughing/wheezing, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung infections, pollution, smoking, treatment for COPD and what causes COPD.

Can someone have COPD at a young age?

I had PFT's done to check for asthma, and copd.  The results came back and the doctor gave me his interpretation but I'm confused.  I look up the norms and my results are way lower and I wonder if I should get a second opinion.  My percents are VC 96, TLC 74, RV 32, FRC PL 75, Raw 134, and CLCO 58.  Can anyone help me?

Tags: young age, copd, help, confused
Assuming all the results you cite are "%'s", your measured vital capacity (VC) is normal.  Your total lung capacity (TLC) is borderline normal and residual volume (RV) probably reduced.  The CLC0, actually DLCO, is definitely, significantly reduced.  The borderline TLC and the definitely reduced RV and RV/TLC ratio are suggestive of restrictive lung disease.  You failed to list the result of the FEV1 which would be the most important measurement for evaluation of asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), although the low TLC value would be against the diagnosis of either of these 2 obstructive lung diseases.

You should seek a second opinion with a lung specialist, also called a pulmonologist, have your pulmonary function tests (PFTs) repeated and have a chest x-ray, for starters.

Good luck.
Yeah, you can be young and be diagnosed with COPD.  I was only 23 yrs old when I was diagnosed, and it has since gotten progressively worse.  If I were you, and wasn't sure what my dr was saying, I would either ask him to explain in again or go and get a second opinion.  Either way, I wish you the best of luck, and hope that you don't have COPD.

Sarah